Maximizing your time out on the water

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Maximizing your time out on the water

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Well,

Its been a busy spring. Since returning from Florida its been weekend after weekend of reno's, kids and even a great weekend get-away to Niagara Falls.

From house hunting, weddings and reno's its been real tough to get out.

I'm just wondering, when fishing time is at a premium...what do you do?

Just looking for what other Hawkers in the same situ might do?
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Maximizing your time out on the water

Post by RJ »

Go when ya can, pretty simple.

RJ
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

True RJ and I do.

I guess my question is more...

Do you go for things like crappie, bass and walleye...fish that are relatively easier to catch

or

Make it a laker, muskie day?

Still hoping I get a day of gar hunting in and conditions are condusive....light to no wind and sunny.

So far weekends have been the pits!
doggeratsea
Participant
Participant

Post by doggeratsea »

I go early before she wakes up
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

doggeratsea wrote:I go early before she wakes up
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've got a 5 day weekend on a year long holiday Jimmy. Can't help you mang! :lol:
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Sigh

I wish.

Next holiday for me is St.Jean de Baptiste

Other life events make ice fishing look washed out too
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

All fishing is good. Or, as a man much older than I was at the time remarked to me, "The Maker does not deduct from any mortal's total the days spent fishing." (or words to that effect). I am now significantly older than he was when he gave me that advice, BUT I recently saw him in a liquor store, so we are both still alive.

OF COURSE you should fish for perch, bluegills, crappies, whatever is biting, because by golly man, you are FISHING.

'nuff said.

Doug
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

With two young kids, fishing during the day is a rarity. My wife is understanding but I like spending time with the family and feel guilty going out alone at prime times. I do have a couple of day trips planned but this is the exception. I am techie so I have thought about this to death :shock: Alot depends on what you consider a good fishing outing. At this point for me Just getting out a good enough event.

This is what I do:
[*]I bought a portable fishing rod for the car so I can go out if I get some time while on the road and time permits http://www.daiwa.com/travelkit/pop_ms.aspx
[*]I have started going out fishing in the evening (9:00 - 11:00) at spots near by. Catfish, walleye, bullhead....
[*]Once every two weeks I get an evening off so me and a buddy from work head about from about 5:00 - 10:00
[*]One morning a weekend I get up early (I like to be at my first spot 15 minutes before dawn: http://www.gaisma.com/en/location/ottawa.html) and get home around 9:30. After everyone has been fed, clothed and ready to go out.
[*]I have flex time at work so if I don't have an early meeting I can fish for an hour or two in the morning after the kids get dropped off at daycare and work extra hours at night once everyone is in bed. Same for lunch or on the way home. Usually about once every two weeks.
[*]I try to take the kids fishing every now and again but their attention span is about 30 minutes at this age.

Organisation tips:
[*]To help with this I keep all my gear organised and I things packed to go so I when the time comes I am off like a rocket. Rods are spooled, cleaned, setup with approriate leaders and hooks;
[*]I make my own fluro leaders and keep them organised (on a swimming noodle segment) and bring them along so I am fiddling with these details while fishing.
[*]I always have a second rod in case one gets fouled I don't have to spend time dealing with rod issues right away
[*]I picked up some inexpensive rain gear (Frog Toggs) and I fish rain or shine, hot or cold.
[*]If I need minnows, I pick them up the night before in Oxygen and with ice if required.
[*]I always have worms at home
jjwalleye
Participant
Participant

Post by jjwalleye »

zippyfx wrote:With two young kids, fishing during the day is a rarity. My wife is understanding but I like spending time with the family and feel guilty going out alone at prime times. I do have a couple of day trips planned but this is the exception. I am techie so I have thought about this to death :shock: Alot depends on what you consider a good fishing outing. At this point for me Just getting out a good enough event.

This is what I do:
[*]I bought a portable fishing rod for the car so I can go out if I get some time while on the road and time permits http://www.daiwa.com/travelkit/pop_ms.aspx
[*]I have started going out fishing in the evening (9:00 - 11:00) at spots near by. Catfish, walleye, bullhead....
[*]Once every two weeks I get an evening off so me and a buddy from work head about from about 5:00 - 10:00
[*]One morning a weekend I get up early (I like to be at my first spot 15 minutes before dawn: http://www.gaisma.com/en/location/ottawa.html) and get home around 9:30. After everyone has been fed, clothed and ready to go out.
[*]I have flex time at work so if I don't have an early meeting I can fish for an hour or two in the morning after the kids get dropped off at daycare and work extra hours at night once everyone is in bed. Same for lunch or on the way home. Usually about once every two weeks.
[*]I try to take the kids fishing every now and again but their attention span is about 30 minutes at this age.

Organisation tips:
[*]To help with this I keep all my gear organised and I things packed to go so I when the time comes I am off like a rocket. Rods are spooled, cleaned, setup with approriate leaders and hooks;
[*]I make my own fluro leaders and keep them organised (on a swimming noodle segment) and bring them along so I am fiddling with these details while fishing.
[*]I always have a second rod in case one gets fouled I don't have to spend time dealing with rod issues right away
[*]I picked up some inexpensive rain gear (Frog Toggs) and I fish rain or shine, hot or cold.
[*]If I need minnows, I pick them up the night before in Oxygen and with ice if required.

thats some great ideas rite there... I kinda do a simialar thing I do not have alot of time so i limit my fishing to the early mornings and evenings :P
Bassassins
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bassassins »

zippyfx wrote:With two young kids, fishing during the day is a rarity. My wife is understanding but I like spending time with the family and feel guilty going out alone at prime times. I do have a couple of day trips planned but this is the exception. I am techie so I have thought about this to death :shock: Alot depends on what you consider a good fishing outing. At this point for me Just getting out a good enough event.

This is what I do:

Organisation tips:

That is some top quality advice right there... Get out when you can and target what your adventure time entitles.
http://www.facebook.com/TheBassassins
Field Staff - FISHBUM Outfitters, Angler's Choice, Streamside
#ExistToFishCanada #LiveYourAdventure
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Excellent advice!

Very much appreciated.
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Maximizing my time out on the water means fishing for what I really want to catch. I get out when I can, which isn't as often as before with a young family but I only target my preferred species: trout and walleye. Trout are #1 on the list so even if I only have a few hours to fish, I'd rather get skunked trout fishing than to catch a whole bunch of pan fish. Don't get me wrong, pan fish are fun to target but I only fish for them when I go out with my 3 year old son. I can't wait until he's old enough to go backwoods trout fishing!!!
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Quit your job and leave your wife.

Simple.

Either that, or grow a set and go out whenever you damn well want. Go directly after work or on your way in...

Thats what I do.

@ 41 years old... I still can rattle off a 12 hour shift then go fishing at 4am when I get off... or wake up at 3am to drive 400 km round trip to fish 200 kms north of Ottawa for bass and make it to work by 4pm in Kanata for another 12 hour shift.

It is all about motivation.

Lots of people SAY they want to get out more, but very few sacrifice a damned thing to get it done.

Craig
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Craig @ 41, you are a machine!!!

I'm 35 years old, in good physical shape and I'm not too sure that I could handle what you do on what seems to be a fairly regular basis. I would do it from time to time if there was a shot at landing a MONSTER trout or walleye, but that's about it. Hats off to you sir!

I work 8 hour shifts which begin at 6am but at the height of the monster walleye season in autumn, I often put my body through hell just to have a shot at landing a trophy. I also drive a few hundred kilometres just to fish at night for big eyes and by the time I get back home it's usually close to 2am. By the time I'm asleep it's closer to 3am and then I wake up at 5am.

Like you said, it's all about motivation.
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

If you have kid's as I do (4/6 year olds). I figured out real quick take one at a time in the boat and the patience level goes way up theirs and yours.
My son the 6 yr old will even run the trolling motor for dad when I can see he is at the end of his patience of dad saying " just one more pass buddy!"
I also have beaucoup snacks and candy which they do not typically get.
I always do my very best to set them up to catch fish too. My son caught a nice 2lb walleye this week. So he was good for a 3 hour run tonight still excited from his last big catch.
Cheers,
Dale
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!