Anything New Lately on Carp Fishing?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Anything New Lately on Carp Fishing?

Post by LeGrand »

Two of our Ottawa Flyfishing Society (OFS) members made a great presentation on Gar and Carp fishing in the area. Learned a lot.

Although the theme was on flyfishing for these, I noticed by doing some enquiries that baitcasting with/or without baitrunners is also the main way for Carp fishing.

Doing a search on the Forum since the problem and fix, only post on Carp date back to 2009 I believe.

Any Carp fishermen on the Forum wishing to update us on their outings?
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Anything New Lately on Carp Fishing?

Post by Jimmy_1 »

We've had success on the Rideau.

Not quite as ramped up as normal but a few good sized coming out.

Light presentation with small trebles or octopus hooks is working well.

Boilies, corn or gizzard as bait.
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

You fished the Long Sault area?

They opened a store there recently. I know you can also order on-line in Ontario for carp equipment.

In UK, they have quite an industry going on to provide for the Carpiste. Was viewing some DVDs (only work on laptop and computers, not on DVD machines) from the NASH Group. Boy talk about INDULGENCE in Comfort. They have it down to quite a science, but you really don't need all that.

What is your opinion on using a baitrunner reel, compared to an ordinary baitcasting reel?

I received my rejunevated bamboo fly rod this weekend (7wt) and may try the following flies I tied on it for carp.

White Bread Fly:

Corn Fly:

Just need to bait one of the areas' first, to attract some carps.
Last edited by LeGrand on Thu May 16, 2013 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Last season I had the opportunity to get out with Colin from the Canadian Carp Club.

It was a very fun day spent with my Dad and my kids.

We learned a lot.

Now Long Sault is some serious stuff when it comes to Carp (better than the Rideau IMHO).

However, I am no carp expert nor do I know LS very well.
(meaning I don't know any "great" spots")

We used spinning reels, beep sticks, carp net and landing mat when we were fishing.

For the amount of free time I have etc its way too much money to invest in required gear for 1 species.
I don't mind hiring a guide (its not that much) or chipping in gas/meal etc and going with someone who has the gear.

If anyone wants to hit LS one weekend and wants to chip in for a guide then let me know as its easy enough to set up and not too pricey.

(Well under $100)
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

That sounds interesting. Is there a particular time of year (Spring, Summer, Fall) for carp in LS?
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Il'd be in for it.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

LeGrand wrote:That sounds interesting. Is there a particular time of year (Spring, Summer, Fall) for carp in LS?
Hi LeGrand

I'm not sure. Like I said I am not really any kind of "carp" expert nor do I know the area well.

We went in the summer and caught 5. (August).

Biggest was the upper 20lb mark and that is small for that area.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Carp are alive and well in the Larry. Like anything else this cold spring things have started slower than we'd all like em to. I was down last week for a day and had moderate success considering the water temp. We had 7 on and landed 2 of them. Inevitable when little dudes are handling 12 foot Carp rods. The young lad did manage to score this mid 20 all on his own.

Some older reports from last year and the year before.

http://www.rjnbirdeesoutdooradventures.ca/?p=1011

http://www.rjnbirdeesoutdooradventures.ca/?p=339

Jimmy was pretty accurate on the setups, the only thing I'd contest is that a high 20 lb fish is small for the area. Yes there are big fish in the Larry but I've found they average around 15-17 lbs. Still a blast.

RJ
Marko
Participant
Participant

Post by Marko »

i got one today....19lb.
I'll make a post as soon as I figure out how to lol
Marko
Participant
Participant

Post by Marko »

RJ wrote:Carp are alive and well in the Larry. Like anything else this cold spring things have started slower than we'd all like em to. I was down last week for a day and had moderate success considering the water temp. We had 7 on and landed 2 of them. Inevitable when little dudes are handling 12 foot Carp rods. The young lad did manage to score this mid 20 all on his own.

RJ
No kidding about a slow start. I went out three times and managed only two fish and missed few more runs.This long winter really did a number on spring fishing.