Ice on Clayton???

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jasonb
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Ice on Clayton???

Post by Jasonb »

Anyone know if there is any ice on clayton yet?
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

There is ice on most of it but none of it is safe as of last weekend. I am driving past it today and will check again but I am hoping Mike P can give an update.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
mikemicropterus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Darwin award time

Post by mikemicropterus »

:D Ice fishing is the only sport where the first to partake could be the last time they take part. :wink:

Hopefully this season we won't have to see the DARWIN AWARD given out but my knowledge of human nature precludes me from believing my own words. :shock:

I geuss I must be in DENIAL, :roll: isn't that a river in Egypt. :lol: Is it frozen yet... :P

We were breaking ice a month ago on Mississippi to get to the fish. Saw the bay icing up last week but I'm not ready to venture out there yet. Mississippi like Clayton is shallow and it should be soon.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Read my Blogs on http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/auth ... rstorm-ca/

Listen to Podcasts on http://www.spreaker.com/show/lanark_county_confidential
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Mike has a great point here, and to add to it;

DO NOT TAKE ICE REPORTS AS GOSPEL.

I might go out on the ice at Lac Bernard today and report 4 inches of nice strong ice. People head out Saturday based on this information only to fall through 1 inch of ice because on the week end, all the cottagers that are there flushed their toilets and, and because it goes directly in the lake, it weakened the ice in a crappy way.

Seriously.

Take personal responsibility for your own safety and go check for your self.

Not being rude, crusty or mean... just don't want to have someone have a lifetime of depression when someone drowns because an ice report was posted and the conditions changed.

I think a disclaimer needs to be attached to any and every ice report.

Just my 2¢.

Craig
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

cprince wrote:Mike has a great point here, and to add to it;

DO NOT TAKE ICE REPORTS AS GOSPEL.

I might go out on the ice at Lac Bernard today and report 4 inches of nice strong ice. People head out Saturday based on this information only to fall through 1 inch of ice because on the week end, all the cottagers that are there flushed their toilets and, and because it goes directly in the lake, it weakened the ice in a crappy way.

Seriously.

Take personal responsibility for your own safety and go check for your self.

Not being rude, crusty or mean... just don't want to have someone have a lifetime of depression when someone drowns because an ice report was posted and the conditions changed.

I think a disclaimer needs to be attached to any and every ice report.

Just my 2¢.

Craig
Agreed Craig and Mike but if someone mentions that there is 4" of ice and two days later you assume there is still that amount well then you do deserve a Darwin Award. Conditions change hourly, daily, weekly. Look at BOQ. In the morning there could be 8" and at the end of the day it could be 14" or 3". Take reports as you wish but your own safety is in your hands only. I always check my ice before going on even if someone told me there was 30".

ORWL
dead_weight
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dead_weight »

Yeah I had the same thought as I read the first few posts ... I've fallen through ice before and it's pretty scary ... mind you in my case my dad just laughed as i was panicing and calmly said "stand up ... there's only 2 or 3 feet of water there" ... oh yeah right ...

Having said all that it seems like the colder weather is here early so the ice is stating to form pretty well in my area ...
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

There has been small shacks on Clayton for over a week now ( not mine). A few days ago there was 4 inches of black ice, but as we all know that might not be the same today.
At this time of year I would not consider anything to be perfectly safe. If heading out take the time to check ice thickness, play it safe and do not head out alone.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Mike P wrote:There has been small shacks on Clayton for over a week now ( not mine). A few days ago there was 4 inches of black ice, but as we all know that might not be the same today.
At this time of year I would not consider anything to be perfectly safe. If heading out take the time to check ice thickness, play it safe and do not head out alone.

Were they around the corner of the bay mike?? I did not see them last week.

ORWL
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

dead_weight wrote: ... I've fallen through ice before and it's pretty scary ...
Is that where your username comes from? :lol:
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

almontefisher wrote:
Mike P wrote:There has been small shacks on Clayton for over a week now ( not mine). A few days ago there was 4 inches of black ice, but as we all know that might not be the same today.

Were they around the corner of the bay mike?? I did not see them last week.
There was one on the point and one in the bay. Skidoo`s were on it tonight!
dead_weight
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dead_weight »

Ha Ha ..

Out4trout ... well lets just say if the ice was safe for me it was safe for all the children !! And most adults !!!