CASTING TIPS

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

CASTING TIPS

Post by almontefisher »

Not looking for anything more except tips on being able to cast a muskie lure for a day. I have always trolled for the buggers and the guy I am going out with Sunday wants to cast.

Now I have the gear but never cast a heavy lure like that.

What speed of retrieve etc should I do. I will be using a 10" double bladed spinner bait and a bull dawg 10". Might try a believer but not sure if they work well for casting. Any advice to keep my arm attached for the whole day.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
nips
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nips »

A good tip is not to fling the lure hard, you don't need to whip it to get good distance on the cast, nice and easy, your equipment will thank you as well
My undersized musky just ATE your trophy bass
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Thanks Nips cause I would have done just that.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I prefer more of a lob cast Peter. Those baits are heavy....a decent lob will send em a good distance.

With the water temps in what I'd guess the high 40's....I'd be throwing a body bait. Don't discount that Believer either.....I've caught a few dozen muskies on 8" Believers used as a jerkbait. I used to drill a hole in the top of them...drop in a ball bearing and silicone it shut.....best rattle you could ever get.

Good Luck....stay warm and stick a goodun.

RJ
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

nips wrote:A good tip is not to fling the lure hard, you don't need to whip it to get good distance on the cast, nice and easy,

Awesome tip right there 8)
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I find it easier to lob it from the side.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Aube
Participant
Participant

Post by Aube »

I recently acquired a legend with the split grips and found that I feel much better at the end of the day. The only reason I can associate to it is that the split grip forces me to keep my hands in the right place rather then too tight together resulting in using my shoulders rather then my arms to cast.
hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hook&shoot »

This will help you out with casting those plow blades Pete :lol:
http://www.coolantarctica.com/gallery/w ... g/0045.htm
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

hook&shoot wrote:This will help you out with casting those plow blades Pete :lol:
http://www.coolantarctica.com/gallery/w ... g/0045.htm
I think I saw a Quebecer buying that at Lebarrons.

Craig
hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hook&shoot »

:shock: :shock: :) bein oui!
Fishtraks
Participant
Participant

Casting tips...

Post by Fishtraks »

A good quality (light) rod and 8ft long helps. Two handed casts. I'm right handed so my right hand goes above the reel on the rod, and my left hand goes under the reel on the rod. It's almost like swinging a bat. As i swing forward, i actually pull back on my lower(left) hand and use my right hand as a pivot point, so the whole swing uses more arm movement than wrist movement. There seems to be an optimum speed/pressure for a given bait weight...too much power and your wasting energy as the lure will only go so fast against the air (its called drag in aviation terms), burning your arms/wrists out...too little and there's no distance. You can actually feel the difference when you get it right. Start with a light cast, then heavier, and so on, till you pass the magic spot, then ease off a little. I'm skinny with not what you would call a beefy build, and I can cast 4-6 hours using the method i've tried to describe above. Hope this helps...cheers and good luck...wear your long-johns!!....Fishtraks.
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

cprince wrote: I think I saw a Quebecer buying that at Lebarrons.

That's priceless!!! Image

Maybe you could try this Peter http://www.fogosports.com/
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
Marine5068
Participant
Participant

Post by Marine5068 »

Good one Craig. Funnnny!
Like Nips and others said. Don't try to bomb large baits out there. Just lob a bit and see what happens then adjust the cast.
Also make sure you have the casting dial adjusted for the weight of the lures. (I imagine you're using baitcasting reels).
Large crankbaits are great casting lures. I use them this way all the time. Believers are one of the best around. Just cast them out then crank them hard to get them down and then let off the speed and crank slower back to the boat. Keep the rod tip down and even in the water on the retrieve if you can(if water is deep enough)and if shallow let the lure wake along just at or under the surface(bulging). Also don't forget to do your figure eight at boat side. We catch lots of Muskie this way.
Good luck and tell us how you guys do.
~Stan <"////////><
Catch Your Limit, But Limit Your Catch.