T.M.I.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Marine5068
Participant
Participant

T.M.I.

Post by Marine5068 »

Too Much Information!
Apparently I've been told off by a Fish Hawk member for quote,"mentioning the names of small lakes".
Not sure what the deal is about it all because it doesn't make any difference who knows what lakes that different fish are caught on.
It doesn't affect the sport at all.
I mean you still need to have put the time into locating fish on a daily basis by being out there on the water and having the background knowledge to know where to look for fish in the first place.
I always found(find) it odd that some fishermen think that the lakes are theirs and they need to hide info. from others.
This seems selfish to ME. I just don't play that game.
I guess I'm a nice guy....ha,ha.
Hope I don't OFFEND anyone in the future due to mentioning a lake....(weird).

~Stan <"////////><
Catch Your Limit, But Limit Your Catch.
IgglesD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by IgglesD »

I wanted to "tell you off" cuz you caught fish :shock: ....not because of tmi....some people have too much time on their hands :roll:
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

don't worry Marine don't let them get to you if you want to mention a lake have at her the people that are telling you not to mention a lake are little creeps that don't like to share information because they are in the fishing closet. :lol: :lol:
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

Hey sorry to hear about your encounter You should see what happens when ya start mentioning little trout lakes! Some of these guys just loose it... sad really There's lots of fish for everyone! If everyone just kept to themselves and never shared information places like this wouldn't exist!
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

No... not too controversial!!

LOL!

Lake naming... no one has the right to tell you what to do. No one. You do what you feel is right. If some one is harassing you, let a mod know and it can be dealt with.

I will bet that this member RARELY (at best) posts any reports or contributes in any meaningful way.

I will name lakes from time to time, if I feel it is inconsequential. I will not name a lake that someone brings me to without permission. Any lake I go to that I don't name in a report, I will always name in a PM.

I have issues with naming lakes for the lurkers that just leach, suck or gobble up information and contribute nothing to the site.

Have a look at the users online at the bottom of the main forum page. See how many guests there are. Many are bots for search engines, but many others are lurkers.

There are many disgruntled former active members who blame any new guy who makes themselves at home, for ruining this site, poisoning the well and killing all the crops. Instead of participating, they lurk and act like parasites taking everything they can without giving back.

God speed Marine5068!!!

Craig
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

Too funny, when I started guiding over 10 years ago there was a couple of guys really pee pee that I was going to be taking americans to their spots. In 10 years I have yet to see any of those 2 guys on the water ever that's like in some 1000 days. LOL

Musky fishing is the worse, guys have to photoshop all their pictures so no one finds their spots. I really find it odd to photoshop a picture of a small fish, it's not like everyone will run out to fish that spot.

Now if those lakes were unknown jems then they may have a reason but you fish some very well known lakes. Far from a secret lake.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
seanympho
Participant
Participant

Post by seanympho »

Sounds pretty greedy! I am not sure why you would want to hide lakes anyways? Real sportsman enjoy watching others do well in the sport also. Some guys need to grow up. Cheers marine5068.
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

cprince wrote:I will bet that this member RARELY (at best) posts any reports or contributes in any meaningful way.
I'll take that bet!!! There are, or used to be, many folks on this site that drive others away although things have definitely been better this past summer.
tonyd
Participant
Participant

Post by tonyd »

you shouldn't be posting that sort of into...

instead, please pm it to me
I'll hold onto it for you :P

--

as a 'lurker', and this being my first post *gulp* I love the board, and trying to just learn ... I been lurking on this board for a while, although recently signed up and hoping to contribute.

I say if you find a hot spot, share the wealth!
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

Wow it seems some people take this sport a little too seriously lol :) Fishing is supposed to be fun, and thanks to guys like Marine who don't mind helping out others, it is alot of fun. I love telling people about great spots, because if they catch fish too, they come back and give you a great story about their catch and trip, and are usually very greatful that you helped them out. Plus I find the overwhelming majority of people who "know" about these honey holes treat them with respect, clean up after themselves, and practice catch and release.
ChrisS
Participant
Participant

Post by ChrisS »

Haha, it gets pretty sad. Some idiots won't even tell you where the launch is.

:D
OntarioRider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

"Lurker"

Post by OntarioRider »

Admittedly I am a lurker.
I finally purchased my first boat this summer and hope to get out more often next year. Not sure if I will add my stories or not.
I like to read her as I pick up some good information, and most times I just enjoy reading.
I ran into RJ once at the Timmies in Smiths Falls. Recognized him from the pics and the RJ and Birdee sign on the vehicle.
Maybe I will contribute someday, maybe I won't. But until then, I lurk and read about techniques, classifieds, and maintenance stuff. If I have something to add, I do, if its already been mentioned - no point in beating it to death. :)
Happy Fishing or whatever outdoor activity you tackle this time of year!
Cheers
CC
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Maple »

Too funny Marine!!

Many times when given a 'tip' on a hot lake, I'll 'intend' to go there, but rarely do. There are so many lakes on my wanna-go-to list, that I'll never get to any of them at this rate. Too many fish, too little time.

That's OK. I'm just happy just to know the fish are there and thriving.

Maple
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

If it's your information to share than you can do as you like with it....

The two lakes you named are hardly secrets and I'll bet not a soul from here is going to leave the Rideau or Ottawa River to go fish them.....

The internet has definitely changed fishing.....information is everywhere.....there are very few secrets out there anymore.....

Go fishin'....snap some pics....do a report.... and if you name the lake or don't it shouldn't matter...the enjoyment level of the read doesn't change with the lake, river or stream named.

RJ

P.S. Man this weekends weather stinks... :cry:...my secret spot this weekend could be my couch in Prospect.
dead_weight
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dead_weight »

This is always a hotly debated topic ... when I was a kid when you found a little lake or river that has a good run of fish we never told anyone except our closest friends .. why ? ... because there would be a boatload of people there within a few months once word got around and also fishing through the ice in winter ... end of great little fishing hole ... fished out ... seen it happen many times. This is why people don't want to tell where they got fish ... at least that been my experience.

Having said that back to the issue of the thread ... letting people know where you got fish is a personal preference ... if Marine wants to share where he got fish then thats really nice of him ... and I for one really appreciate it because I still haven't fished a lot in the area ... but lets all be honest here ... when someone runs into some serious fish in a little know area and make a post here they rarely say where it is ... or perhaps they will say "Ottawa river" or "lake in Quebec" ... thats the nature of the beast ... or perhaps they might PM someone on this forum they know. There's some posts for certain species of fish that I would absolutely love to ask the person where they were but if they don't volunteer that info then I respect their privacy on the issue.

Marine i like your posts ... keep em coming ... and I'll pay you $50 for any info that leads me to trophy fish .. just kidding Fish Hawkers !!!