"Schooled Up" Largies.....Wow.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

"Schooled Up" Largies.....Wow.

Post by RJ »

After seeing Craig and Lonnie's report I have to think something real special went on in our local waters Saturday! That major storm front must have fired them up and we just happen to be at the right place at the right time........

I hit Big Rideau Lake for a small fun tournament organized by Charles Sim. Cool format with only one angler per boat.

Charles took the win with just over 16 pounds edging out myself and Pete MacFish.....

It was an interesting day to say the least in my boat....I've read and heard about Largemouths schooling up in the Fall...but never found myself on top of them, until Saturday. At the end of they day 56 Largies had visited my boat. It was 100% giggle time in the boat. Best fish for me was a 4.2.....

Full rundown of the day and how it went down is on my blog.....what a freakin hoot!

http://rjnbirdeesoutdooradventures.blog ... rgies.html

Sunday.....not so much a hoot! :shock:

RJ
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

Good job Rob. One question fr ya:

Were you marking fish in that 12 foot deep area or fishing it based on structure alone? I have been scanning a local lake for these schooled up areas and except for 2 occasions I'm not marking a whole lot of fish.

great report
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Nice report!

and

I prefer bass-thumb over muskie thumb any day!

Eric
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Gotta love the fall. I can put up with a little snow for action like that anyday! Great report RJ!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

bl8ant wrote:
Were you marking fish in that 12 foot deep area or fishing it based on structure alone? I have been scanning a local lake for these schooled up areas and except for 2 occasions I'm not marking a whole lot of fish.
Truthfully Sean I very rarely rely on electronics when fishing shallower water......I've been told by people who are very famaliar with them and even the best units struggle for accuracy in water less than 10 feet....too much clutter.....again just what I've been told.

I find myself using my GPS screen more than the sonar screen alot.....once I've found something I like or a pocket of fish I'd mark it....swing back after 15 minutes....and know that I am roughly right back on the same area.

Hope that answers your question....

RJ
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

RJ wrote:
bl8ant wrote:
Truthfully Sean I very rarely rely on electronics when fishing shallower water......I've been told by people who are very famaliar with them and even the best units struggle for accuracy in water less than 10 feet....too much clutter.....again just what I've been told.

I find myself using my GPS screen more than the sonar screen alot.....once I've found something I like or a pocket of fish I'd mark it....swing back after 15 minutes....and know that I am roughly right back on the same area.

Hope that answers your question....

RJ
Fine tune after throwing the spinners to find them. Saturday on The Miss, I was picking them up first on the spinner... and Lonnie fine tuned them in with senkos and tubes. He got more numbers than me... but the spinners got the bigger ones. Perhaps just by virtue of cover more water quicker.

Great report and blog entry RJ! My thumb had the tell tale signs of bass contact too!!

Love the snowy pic... something almost poetic about it!!

Craig
tman12
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tman12 »

GREAT FISH
I LOVE SNOW!
TT
TY
Formerly known as "The Torpedo"
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

finaly some fish! :D
Andy_L
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Andy_L »

gorgeous fish there Pal :) well done.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Nice outing guys .........to think I choose to work all weekend :cry: :oops: :oops:
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

BURRRRR!!!

Good thing you had all those bass to chase away the bad weather and cold.

What a great day of fishing.

Thanks for sharing.

RJ wrote: Truthfully Sean I very rarely rely on electronics when fishing shallower water......I've been told by people who are very famaliar with them and even the best units struggle for accuracy in water less than 10 feet....too much clutter.....again just what I've been told.
One word: Flasher........... :wink:

Drop
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

I'll have to thumb a couple walleye on Wednesday to look like that! Good job boys. I feel bad for putting away my baitcasters after mid-oct. I'll be chasing bass later in the season next year for sure.

tight lines,
Yannick
gonefishin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by gonefishin »

Great read RJ. Fifty plus fish on any day is a great day.
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

I overheard Charles talking about this last Thursday at Paddletails Big-Jim had you pegged for the win RJ just an FYI. Looked like a lot of fun!
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Nsme very nice bass guys :) .