Weirdest day fishing!!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
walleyemen
Participant
Participant

Weirdest day fishing!!!

Post by walleyemen »

Decided to hit late erie today with a good friend for some fall monster smallies, weather is overcast with a chance of showers, fish most of the morning with limited success, around 1:00 p.m a small rainshower starts but some thing weird is happening, evertime i lift my rod its making a buzzing sound, the more i move it the louder it gets, i look over to my buddy Rick and low and behold all the loose threads on his rain jacket hood are sticking straight up in the air, to top it off we cast out and our braid line will not lay down but is arching 20 feet into the air, we were totally freaked out but just as fast as it started it stopped, our lines dropped and everything was o.k, honestly i think we escaped maybe a possible lightening strike, very weird for sure! some pics!!
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fiiish »

:shock: Very weird indeed.
Reminds me of a time I was fishing from a dock, and as it started to rain I could feel static electricity charging up in my hands while I reeled in my line.

On a better note, that's an awesome smallie! :D
Billy Bones
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Billy Bones »

St. Elmo's Fire, if it would have been dark, you would have seen the light.

Billy Bones :lol:
Seabass81
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Seabass81 »

I would have been cowering in a ball on the deck of the boat the whole time.

Nice smallie
Andy_L
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Andy_L »

you are VERY lucky...that is often the prelude to a lightning strike
tman12
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tman12 »

lucky boy u are! nice smallie too! :wink:
Formerly known as "The Torpedo"
Abraxus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Abraxus »

Yes! Very lucky! That is an extremely clear sign that you are about to be the target for a lightning strike. Usually, people only get to witness one of those things and if they know the signs, they drop everything and boogey! If they do not, they become a bbq. You guys have no idea how lucky you actually are! Casting flouro line and having the lure almost suspend itself in mid air is one the biggest signs of all. Let alone braided line! Holy!!! Rods crackling and snapping would be more then enough to get me moving the heck out of there!

Ab
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Had something like this happen to me once but I just thought it was the mushrooms :shock: :lol: Well that and it involved no boat or water and more of a screwdriver and electrical outlet!!! :oops:
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Weirdest day fishing!!!

Post by lapointeric »

walleyemen wrote:weather is overcast with a chance of showers

understatement of the year award! :D

Glad you guys are alright! I'm not sure I'd have a clean pair after that....

E
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

Abraxus wrote:Yes! Very lucky! That is an extremely clear sign that you are about to be the target for a lightning strike. Usually, people only get to witness one of those things and if they know the signs, they drop everything and boogey! If they do not, they become a bbq. You guys have no idea how lucky you actually are! Casting flouro line and having the lure almost suspend itself in mid air is one the biggest signs of all. Let alone braided line! Holy!!! Rods crackling and snapping would be more then enough to get me moving the heck out of there!

Ab
With a near gravity-defying lure... thing of how far you could cast that "one last cast" though!! :)
landshark
Participant
Participant

Post by landshark »

It is definately from the electricity in the air, I have had that exact thing happen to me a few times. my lure would lit the water but the line would remain arched and not drop. I dont know if it means you are going to get hit by lightning but I wouldnt take the chance, unless the fishing was really good
Image Image
Bulldog
Participant
Participant

Post by Bulldog »

I have had that same experience (mono arcing and not settling on the water) happen on at least 3 occasions. The most recent time was this summer during a torrential rain storm. There was no visible lightening or thunder anywhere in the area. Like idiots we continued to fish although we were quite nervous. We would have had about a 6 mile run back to the dock and it seemed like we would have been running into the storm not away from it.

The first time that I experienced this phenomena was about 6-7 yrs. ago. That time it was not raining but lightening could be seen and thunder heard in the distance -- probably at least 10-15 miles away. We skedaddled off the lake that day.
Hollywood
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Hollywood »

Yep sounds like St. Elmo's fire. Still, I would have probably been on the deck in the fetal positioning turning my pants 3 shades of brown. Yikes!
Fishing is a heritage we need to teach. Take a kid fishing! And take me too while you're at it.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

My brother and I were just talking about some memorable times we've raced electrical storms back over the water. When that happens, I start praying my Hail Mary's. :shock: I've been in some scary spots, but nothing like where you see your line hanging in the air or rising up. I would have died. Actually, you're lucky you DIDN'T !! Crazy pictures (cool, though)!

W.

PS: very nice bass, but not sure worth getting crispy fried for.

:wink:
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Wired leader
Participant
Participant

Post by Wired leader »

That is amazing....I'd have been searching the clouds for alien craft & expecting to be beamed up at any second.
Dave