Frost Warning tonight, what does it mean for fishing?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Vrodkid
Participant
Participant

Frost Warning tonight, what does it mean for fishing?

Post by Vrodkid »

Good day all,

Heading out tomorrow morning, will be on the water at first light (Going for Eyes, but will probably try for some Bass!). I was wondering, does this affect, in a Negative or Positive way, fishing habits.

Actually, how does one even begging to really learn fishing habits in any and avery type of way. I would like to be able to learn how to read and interpret how fish might react to a certain temperature, Baromatric etc...

Any one have a good site or book one could read to become a better angler?

ANy info would be usefull and appreciated!

Cheers.
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

here is my tip.

whatever the temp . wind . barometre . pressure . rain . sun . hail . snow.

just go out there and fish .

what is there to learn ?

the frost wont to anything.

figure out a patern and stick to it.

there nothing better than just going out on a hard day...... and figuring out what they want.

thats what fishing is all about.
Big Bass 444
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Big Bass 444 »

It means!!...big smallies are waiting for you!.....just get there and fish!....early am`s is good right now...cold...yep!....dress warm..LOL! :wink:
dead_weight
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dead_weight »

Well I can't really speak for bass because the guys are right, as long as you figure out what they want they will bite.

But spring walleye can certainly be picky on the weather ... I've had a couple of incidents where the walleye were there and in large numbers but would not touch anything we presented to them ... and this was at a lodge so nobody else was getting them either ... it was cold .. pipes froze to our cottage ... then the last day it warmed up and it was like a switch for the eyes ... they started to bite big time .. and almost anything.

Lodge owners said that thats what it s like there .. cold fronts slow the fishing down to almost nothing ... you even had to work hard for the pike to bite ...

I'd still go out though .. because who knows how "cold" a cold front has to be to make them lethargic ... only way to know is to get out there and try ...!!
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

This time of year is the best I find ! The fish are feeding aggressive before the long winter season !
|Dore|
Big Bass 444
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Big Bass 444 »

First if you have Facebook it will be my pleasure to had you up as a friend. This is where I spent most of my time on the net now....this way you can reach me faster if you have any question.

When it comes to fishing I think most people (anglers) have a way of making things complicated for them. They see and hear all kinds of things on T.V the net and at the tackle store. They will all try to sell or make you do things not suited for you or for your experience as a fisherman. So allways be aware of that and be wise.

I believe the most important tool you may have on the water is confidence. If you don`t have that you won`t succeed. Confidence will make you sharp, concentrated and patient. Second thing, polish a style or technique you like..and alway try to be better at it....practice, practice and some more practice.

Practice will also apply to the body of water you are fishing. If you know the body of water you fish well....you will be on the money....take a look at the Berkley B1 stats....you will understand what I mean by that. :lol:

Now about Fall fishing. The early stage of fall is allways great and easier...fish will be on and this is the best time of the year to find yourself the biggest bass of the year. This is my favorite time for fishing and to get monster largies 8) .
At that point the same Summer technique will apply...Flipping Jigs with trailers and Spinnerbaits will work well...BUT.....I got to learn that this is the time where you start to use smaller presentations...trust me you will bring more fish in the boat by doing so. The early stage is done and behind us now...Mid-September till first week of October is usally about that.....To me I would feel we have just entered the second half of Fall. At this point if I was you I would start running after Smallies because they are on fire and feeding seriously!!......Smallmouth basses moves...so you have to find them!!...if you get to the lake in the am`s they will be close to shore ....you need to find key locations...just look for things that are different... For exemple if a full shoreline is filled with trees in the water...skip it for now.....instead look for a rocky shoreline for example with maybe 7-8 trees in the water in one spot for maybe 600 yards ....this will probably be a good spot to fish. I find smallies in no deeper than 15 feet of water in the ams....easier...faster!....Time is everything when you are out there....use it wisely!

The last stage of Fall I don`t fish much....early November and so on that is ....At that point I work on other things...like preparing for ice fishing. :D

Yan
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

There's a difference between cold weather and a cold (low) front. This time of year, I find the walleye in the area I think you're planning on fishing are feeding regardless of weather. I'll be out there tomorrow morning too. I'll be exploring a new reef, we'll see how that goes.

Also, if you're fishing the Ottawa, like any river, walleye relate alot to current, and current ALWAYS changes. Velocities change and water levels change all the time.

My knowledge on the Ottawa was gained through 1- locals & FH 2-trial and error and 3-most importantly time on the water.

Also, listen to 24/7.

Yannick
Doeun_k
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Doeun_k »

switch to live bait and the bigger the minnow the bigger the fish

Ck
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

Well, looks like this time it meant alot of small walleye. Once we found them we were able to get a few but nothing to write home about.

Yannick
Vrodkid
Participant
Participant

Post by Vrodkid »

Well, wish i could say the same. Nothing here but a samll perch! I was marking no fish all day, move around quite a bit, jigged, bottom bounced, crank baited that shiznit, nothing. Oh well, i was an awsome morning on the water non the less. Thanks for all of your imput, some good info in there!

Cheers.