Thoughts on Walleye Harvesting

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
IgglesD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by IgglesD »

Great.....I've quit fishing now. :(
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

I think most of us went through a stage where we wanted to brag as heavily as possible about our fishing exploits. Not that long ago I was just itiching to get an 8lbs walleye to put on my wall...not anymore.

Once you spend enough time on the water, you start to appreciate the resource and every individual fish and its role on a totally different level as the fairweathered fisherman. If he wants to put one fish on his wall, then good for him. I'm sure the guide explained to him why he likes to release the big ones and if he is OK with this guy keeping a 10lber, the guide's livelihood, than it's really none of our concerns.

Again, if Landshark is getting 30 of these a season, I think it's clear the resource is being well managed and the guy shouldn't be made to feel guilty over harvesting a minuscal percentage of the prime breeding population, and a speck of the biomass of the body of water. It's probably the most special fish he'll ever get, his best fishing memory and I don't blame him for getting the walleye stuffed.

my opinion.

Yannick
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

With regard to replicas and just ordering by number...yes, there are places where you basically just get a factory reproduced replica matching your fish's stats and not custom painted or anything -- basically just a cookie cutter representation of a "big bass", etc.

Or you can find a reputable taxidermist who specializes in replicas, which is what I did for Ty's trophy bass. Our guy asked for photo's of the fish and had questions. He tries to recreate any special colouration / patterns on the fish to make the replica as close a representation to the "real thing" as possible. We were pleased with the replica we had done; it now hangs in our cottage in a prominent place.

For our family, we feel good knowing the real thing was put back in the lake. We still get to visually appreciate the fish, remember the special evening it was caught and relive all the other memories attached to it, but that exceptionally big mama was put back to hopefully procreate and pass on some of those quality genes. To me it's a WIN-WIN situation.

Just some thoughts...like anything else, there is a quite the spectrum of products (replicas) out there...the good (or really good), the bad and the ugly. :wink:

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
dead_weight
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dead_weight »

I've never caught anything worth the cost of mounting ... but I think it comes down to personal preference ... for me I could never keep a really large fish of any species and not feel some guilt about doing it ... whether to put on the wall or eat ... just not my style ... but I do admire fish i see mounted ... my mechanic has a couple of fish mounted and I like to check them out each time I'm in his garage ... I certainly don't look down on him for doing it ... but for me I'd either go with a replica or simply a good picture ... I guess I won't know for sure until I hold the beast in my hands ...
tman12
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tman12 »

SeaMonster wrote:
fatluke wrote:I don't see a problem keeping a giant eye for the wall...

I do see a problem keeping giant fish to eat.
OK.
I gotta ask.
Why is it better to harvest a Walleye and stick it on the wall rather than eat it.
Personally I'd rather have it on my plate than on my wall.

I'd probably let it go.. but anyway... don't really understand the logic.

I've tried to covert some family meat fishermen to more conservationists with varying success so I'm with you for the most part...
It is just out of respect for the fish, and the big ones don't taste as good any way! :lol:
TT
TY
Formerly known as "The Torpedo"
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Canmoore »

Holy crap!! If I knew the crap storm one little comment wold make, I would not have said anythin

It is 100% your choice to do whatever you want to do with your catch, you caught it afterall. I was just voicing my thoughts, I personally would not kill such a beutiful creatue to hang its carcass on my wall.

This past winter at Quinte, I lost a huge walleye at the hole, it could have easily been 12 pounds, my full intentions even if it was an 18 pounder would be to take some pictures, and down the hole it would go.

I personally prefer pictures over mounts, because the picture shows you and the fish in the moment, a mount is nothing but a dead carcass!

Sorry if I offended anyone, I was just speaking/typing my mind!
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

There you go Canmoore, stirring up the pot again. :D :D Just kidding... :lol:

I think this "discussion" has been a useful exercise, and no need for any apology. It has stayed on topic, and everyone who wanted to got their opinions heard. Without your original comments, people wouldn't have had this opportunity to speak their mind and hear why others think differently.

Personally I'm not sharing my opinion on the subject as it's already been stated by others here and this isn't a poll! :D
mblaney
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mblaney »

What size wally could / should he have harvested that would not have brought criticism?

Mudpout, I suggest your opinions are phrased to "draw raw emotions"; it is difficult to express a rational opinion, or to have anyone listen, if you are overly emotional or offensive in stating your opinion. I am 100% with you if this was about netting a spawning run but one dude with one wally seems insignificant (i.e. not warranting an emotional outburst).

What is your answer to my question?

Peace,
Mike
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

It's important to remember that we don't have to make everyone see things our way. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, views and set of ethics. I don't know why people seem to get so angry and defensive when someone has a different opinion. You can't force someone to change their point of view just because it bothers you that it's different from your own.

Generally, most of this thread has stayed on topic and hasn't turned into a public crucifixion. That's progress!

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Mudpout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mudpout »

I never commented in the original thread, i wouldn't try and hijack someones thread and try and bring them down from the high of catching such a fish. I stated my opinion in canmoores thread and stayed on topic. My beef is not about ONE fish being kept for a wall, it is about the mentality that goes along with it, it is completely destructive. Yes we are allowed to keep fish, i never questioned that. And to be honest, you can empty BOQ and it wouldnt effect me, i've fished it a handful of times and trolling with planers is def not my cup of tea.

My point is, there have been loads of fisheries decimated, from small lakes to the massive Atlantic ocean and for the most part these were done under the letter of the law. Why do we have to wait for a gov't agency to tell us to change, at the speed of gov't, it's always too late. As lovers of fish and the sport of fishing we should be at the forefront of conservation.

To answer mblaney, any size that was edible. Hell even if he was going to eat it that 10pounder, i wouldnt say a word about it, I'd hate it, but I'd bite my tongue. The fact that this specimen was killed simply to put up on a wall, well i find that nothing short of wasteful.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I have 5 mounts on my wall.....a 6th on its way.....I love em all and don't regret for a second getting them done....The stories of mounts falling apart over the years is false.....if done by a reputable taxidermist they don't.....

My walleye mount from Gary Lowery that is now 11 years old.....looks the same as the day it left his shop...

I'm not a big fan of replicas per say....they just don't look the same to me....again just my opinion......hopefully this 6th one which is a replica can live up to my hopes.....it's being done by the best there is so we'll see!

To each their own in the end...

RJ

P.S. I will ask Mudpout this though.....did you release that pike in your avatar? Because it's been proven time and time again....holding a large fish like that does serious damage to it......just sayin'.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

And that last question is not an attack Mudpout......just an observation....

I fish 150 plus days a year (according to Birdee)....I keep maybe 50 panfish a year......if I feel like keeping ANY legal fish for my personal purposes I will never be made to feel like a neanderthal second class fisherman for doing it..........................................

RJ
Mudpout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mudpout »

That pike was most definatly released. I had 2 hands holding its head and the body resting on my knee. My leg is up on the bench with the fish resting along it. Most of her weight is not being held by the neck which is where i understand the dmg happens. It the last 5 years or so i've been getting into a fair number of good sized pike and hold em the same when i take a pic, and I'm pretty darn sure I've caught the same ones a few times on these smaller lakes. Some very particular marks or growths. I would be quite confident that this fish was no worse for wear after that quick pic. I'd assume it's a lot less stress then having a bulldawg driven into your mouth and being horsed in with mukie gear. The stress on the head would be alot higher on big hook set or when trying to stop it from running?
I will never be made to feel like a neanderthal second class fisherman for doing it..........................................
your words RJ, not mine.
dead_weight
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dead_weight »

I'm curious guys ... what would it cost to mount say a large bass or something like that ? The miser in me thinks it's a lot of cash but I really don't know ...
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Mudpout wrote:That pike was most definatly released. I had 2 hands holding its head and the body resting on my knee. My leg is up on the bench with the fish resting along it. Most of her weight is not being held by the neck which is where i understand the dmg happens. It the last 5 years or so i've been getting into a fair number of good sized pike and hold em the same when i take a pic, and I'm pretty darn sure I've caught the same ones a few times on these smaller lakes. Some very particular marks or growths. I would be quite confident that this fish was no worse for wear after that quick pic. I'd assume it's a lot less stress then having a bulldawg driven into your mouth and being horsed in with mukie gear. The stress on the head would be alot higher on big hook set or when trying to stop it from running?
I will never be made to feel like a neanderthal second class fisherman for doing it..........................................
your words RJ, not mine.
No sweat Mudpout......your opinion is yours and you are more than entitled to it!

I'd suggest that at no point is a Pike or Muskie under near that amount of stress with all its weight being held by its jaw vs. while in the water being fought with or having a hookset down to it.....again my opinion.

Good Luck on those pike....that's a dandy!

RJ