Massive Sturgeon Caught

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
bm_attar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Massive Sturgeon Caught

Post by bm_attar »

"The time has come," the Walrus said, "To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by plncrzy »

If I am not mistaken... The largest in the world are pulled out of that river... every year you see a report of these monsterous dinosaurs being pull out of the river.
"I wonder if other dogs think poodles
are members of a weird religious cult."
-- Rita Rudner
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

sick ! :D
|Dore|
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

amazing to think that fish likely hatched some time around the American Civil War.
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Canmoore »

The sad part is that the Beluga Sturgeon from the Caspian Sea get even larger! However, they produced the prized caviar..and are an endangered species!

Imagine killing a 200 year old fish, just for some caviar!!
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

So true, Canmoore....I hope this particular fish can rebound from an hour and a half struggle. It seems the guys tried their best to take care of it once it was "landed".

Interesting post, bm_attar. Thanks for sharing that. I've forwarded the link to some family and friends who will also be interested in this unbelievable story. What a fish!

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Surely there are weaker and stronger fish, but white sturgeon are a real hearty lot and that fishes 1 hour struggle is short by comparison to the 2 1/2 hour struggle or 4 hour fight that some sturgeon of equal size have given over the past few years. There was a supposed case too of one being released after spending 4 hours out of the water...??? Drug bust that ended up with charges of poaching when a sturgeon was found hanging from it's tail in a fridge.

That fish very likely swam away with as little as a fat lip. In two to three days it'll be sucking up drowned submerged bison and tyees again. They're such awesome creatures... doing well for numbers on the Fraser even though it's been told to me that they're pincusions on some stretches of the river.