Deep Cycle Charge Time

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Seabass81
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Deep Cycle Charge Time

Post by Seabass81 »

How long does it take you to charge 2 deep cycles hooked up for 24v TM .

I have a nautilus 3 bank charger that has been giving me trouble . ! bank doesnt work and the other 2 stilll have not gone to "green status in 18 hours ? I am fishing tommorow and want to make sure my trolling battery's are not going to crap out.

john
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

take it back to crappy tire and get it replaced.

If its not cutting out once the batteries are charged, you can damage the batteries by over charging them.

I can normally recharge my 12 V AGM battery in less than 12 hours at 2Amp charge rate.

Trickle charging is the best, rapid charging will hurt the battery over the course of time.
Last edited by MLR on Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Charge

Post by Seaweed »

Depends on a few things John

First what is the rating of your charger... some are designed to charge faster than others.

Secondly sometimes they are perfectly charged but due to a failed inline fuse or bad connection they appear to not be fully charged. I have seen both of these things happen over the years.

Your best indication of what is going on will be to go out and test the batteries. Do you have the juice your need and how long is the life of the batteries.

I charge mine for at least a day after every outing if time affords ... if I have to fish the next day then obviously I get them plugged in as soon as possible... I have a slower trickle charger in my rig now... I used to have a quicker one but it seemed to ... well it was harder on the batteries I think.
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

Always have difficulty reading the charger scale.

Mines a Deep Cycle continuous 4.0 AMP, with a scale of 1 to 15. Had it for years, it's a DEMON

When I recharge my rechargeable battery, the scale needle jumps (or not) to 4-5, then stays there. How come it never moves further. You would expect a longer charge would displace the needle upward on the scale.

Two of my small portable (6" long, 2" wide, 3" high) 12 volt rechargeable batteries give different readings. The first doesn't move the needle at all. The second battery moves it only to the number 1.
1MoreCast
Participant
Participant

Post by 1MoreCast »

Just a question for you, Did you unhook the two batteries from each other that make up the 24 volt system?
The charger http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4 ... ?locale=en
is for up to three 12 volt batteries. I may be incorrect but I am pretty sure that the batteries can not be charged when wired in series unless you have a 24 volt charger.
Hope this helps
Seabass81
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Seabass81 »

According to the instructions it was fine to charge like that but hey maybe I will unhook the lead conecting them. ?

J