Nickel on Dalhousie

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
waynerb66
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by waynerb66 »

I think I saw you there. Were you fishing in the evening? I have a trailer at the park there. A couple of weeks ago a teenager caught a smallmouth fishing on the bridge. I swear it was about 6 pounds! I have caught 5 pound bass in the river before, and this was definitely bigger.
I haven't seen a lot of pike in there. I am not normally fishing for them, but I rarely see anyone come in with one. I have seen a lot of Americans come in with walleye. It is all about what time you go out and where on the lake you go. I usually fish for bass, so walleye is not something I go out there for. But there are a lot of BIG bass out there for sure. I have a special spot on the river where they lurk. My nephew pulled a 5lbs. largemouth and a 5lbs. smallmouth within 15 minutes of each other in the same spot.
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

bronzie! :D
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Canmoore »

waynerb66 wrote:I think I saw you there. Were you fishing in the evening? I have a trailer at the park there. A couple of weeks ago a teenager caught a smallmouth fishing on the bridge. I swear it was about 6 pounds! I have caught 5 pound bass in the river before, and this was definitely bigger.
I haven't seen a lot of pike in there. I am not normally fishing for them, but I rarely see anyone come in with one. I have seen a lot of Americans come in with walleye. It is all about what time you go out and where on the lake you go. I usually fish for bass, so walleye is not something I go out there for. But there are a lot of BIG bass out there for sure. I have a special spot on the river where they lurk. My nephew pulled a 5lbs. largemouth and a 5lbs. smallmouth within 15 minutes of each other in the same spot.
Yup it is a great lake for Bass! There are LOTS of pike in the lake, and river. I also have a little hole down the river!

And since I am a nice guy, I will share it! (perhaps you have fished hear). If you drive your boat down the river a fare way.
There is a little bay off to the side of the river, where Mud lake drains into the Mississippi river via a small creek.

Just park your boat infront of the mouth of the creek, or just drift. I usually vertically jig a twister grub, and smack lots of pike and walleye! Also throwing topwaters, spinners and cranks produce lots of Bass and Pike.
waynerb66
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by waynerb66 »

Your taking your like in your hands revealing spots on here from what I have read in the past month. LOL! I have been in that area once. If I recall it was shallow with some big rocks. Am I wrong? The owner of the park said to fish there also. I will have to try again.
Since we are sharing, I will reveal my spot. When you go past the campground, go straight down the river. Just before it narrows, where I call "The alley of fallen trees", there is a spot that is about 40 feet deep. It is about maybe 60 to 80 feet long. Just a guess there. There are some big bass in there.
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Canmoore »

waynerb66 wrote:Your taking your like in your hands revealing spots on here from what I have read in the past month. LOL! I have been in that area once. If I recall it was shallow with some big rocks. Am I wrong? The owner of the park said to fish there also. I will have to try again.
Since we are sharing, I will reveal my spot. When you go past the campground, go straight down the river. Just before it narrows, where I call "The alley of fallen trees", there is a spot that is about 40 feet deep. It is about maybe 60 to 80 feet long. Just a guess there. There are some big bass in there.
Yup I know of that spot. Also the sunken tree immediately after the campground produces some large lunkers. As for the spot that I mentioned, yes it is shallow and yes there are some large rocks..however, there is a spot on the spot that is up for you guys to find :lol:
waynerb66
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by waynerb66 »

I usually do not go down there at this time of year. There is that big weed patch. My prop always gets clogged up. Maybe next spring I will venture in there. Is there a certain path around that mess?
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Canmoore »

Pray for high water lol. I know exactly what patch you are talking about, and yes it is very shallow when the water is high. When it is low, you can walk across the river at that section!
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Nickel on Dalhousie

Post by wolfe »

Canmoore wrote:...... turned to talk to my buddy when I heard a splash, I looked to see that I had missed a fish that had hit my idle Spook.
This has happened to me enough to where I have caught on that many fish prefer to strike surface lures at rest.

I clicked on the picture to enlarge it, and I'm glad I did. That is one giant smallmouth with some really pretty markings.

Super!

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.