What would you have done....?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Steady Eddy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

What would you have done....?

Post by Steady Eddy »

Last week the fiance and I drove to a calabogie area lake, well we parked on the highway and walked a snowmobile trail. After walking for hours, we find a downed tree, right across the path. There was a "no tresspassing" sign stapled to it. I wanted to keep going but the voice of reason had us turned around in a minute. Would you have kept going ?
Steady.

Born To Fish, Forced To Work.
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: What would you have done....?

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Steady Eddy wrote:Last week the fiance and I drove to a calabogie area lake, well we parked on the highway and walked a snowmobile trail. After walking for hours, we find a downed tree, right across the path. There was a "no tresspassing" sign stapled to it. I wanted to keep going but the voice of reason had us turned around in a minute. Would you have kept going ?
I would have turned around and walked back unless I was 150% sure that the trail I was on was Crown land....
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

TroutnMuskieHunter wrote:
Steady Eddy wrote:Last week the fiance and I drove to a calabogie area lake, well we parked on the highway and walked a snowmobile trail. After walking for hours, we find a downed tree, right across the path. There was a "no tresspassing" sign stapled to it. I wanted to keep going but the voice of reason had us turned around in a minute. Would you have kept going ?
I would have turned around and walked back unless I was 150% sure that the trail I was on was Crown land....
I second that but only 100% not 150%...lol. You do not want to trespass and ruin things for all...good call Steady.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
tinman454
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

good call !!

Post by tinman454 »

I Think i know were you went in and there is a trail that is cut off as some one bought the land the old trail went on. New owner dosent want people on there !! there are a lot of places that are private up there some are old land leases but some are owned. Just stay on the main trails and you will be fine most that go off of it will lead to lakes you can fish !!
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

Good job dude ! I would have done the same thing. It's not worth getting in a confrontation with an angry property owner, it's like you have no defence the guy posted a '' No tresspassing'' sign. Anyways good call ! 8)
|Dore|
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

if you do not know for 100% then you got to respect the tresspassing laws... It's probably the #1 think hunters/fishers and general out-doors people get complained about.
Wired leader
Participant
Participant

Post by Wired leader »

I feel your pain brother.
I scope out lakes all the time.
Google maps doesn't show you the gates, cables, private & no trespassing signs. I get turned around more times than I like, but every now and then I get lucky.
Found myself on the trans Canada trail once...(No fish :( )
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

If the MNR are stocking fish in the lake then legally nobody can stop you from fishing in the lake! Ive seen way too many of these NT signs that are posted on crown land! Its just too easy for anyone to just go to the store and buy a sign and put it anywhere! These signs should be registered!
Wired leader
Participant
Participant

Post by Wired leader »

getnjiggywithit wrote:If the MNR are stocking fish in the lake then legally nobody can stop you from fishing in the lake! Ive seen way too many of these NT signs that are posted on crown land! Its just too easy for anyone to just go to the store and buy a sign and put it anywhere! These signs should be registered!
Thanks for pointing that out.....I had not considered that.
I will have to do some digging and see if I can find a QC map for that purpose.
What happened to "This land is our land"??
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Wired leader wrote:
getnjiggywithit wrote:If the MNR are stocking fish in the lake then legally nobody can stop you from fishing in the lake! Ive seen way too many of these NT signs that are posted on crown land! Its just too easy for anyone to just go to the store and buy a sign and put it anywhere! These signs should be registered!
Thanks for pointing that out.....I had not considered that.
I will have to do some digging and see if I can find a QC map for that purpose.
What happened to "This land is our land"??
TOO MANY idiots that don't respect others ruined it :wink: 8)
steadyj_17
Participant
Participant

Post by steadyj_17 »

good point Steve well said... now up and back at the Walleye :lol:
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

steadyj_17 wrote:good point Steve well said... now up and back at the Walleye :lol:
Good luck Jeff!!....nice 8lb'r ya caught this morning.....go get his Daddy!!
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jsdx »

We had the same thing happen to us this week except we knew it was public land so we didn't stop.

Passed all sorts of signs, with various levels of no trespassing, no ATVs etc and voila - you come up to an actual ministry sign for public access to the lake. On our way back out, we talked to a property owner who said something like "those yahoos don't want you coming in so they try to scare you off, but they can't stop you"

Most of the lakes stocked by the ministry will have public access (that doesn't mean it's easy access :( ). I understand when private lakes are stocked, it's with permission from the owner to provide access

I can sympathize, after all the lakes we saw this week, I'd say garbage being left around is the #1 reason these signs go up - old cans, bottles, broken glass and cardboard from beer cases litter these sites, so of course you don't want random people near your land. they make a huge mess.