well i'm thinking about trying to get sponsored

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

what petawawarace

just said is pretty mutch on top notch very well said.

joco
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

wow some absolutely amazing info here guys i have to keep doing research cause now.... im on a mission eaven if it takes 3 or 4 years im fine with it
my blogs up too check it out if you have the time
http://chevysfishingadventures.blogspot.com/
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

good start on that blog...

one thing i've noticed with sponsorship is, if your really worth sponsoring, they'll find you...

make yourself known, be a "go-to" for information and advice. be honest. really, be honest. don't sell out. not for all the free stuff in the world. you'll last longer if your true to yourself.

oh, and use a spellcheck on your blog. :wink:
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

steve-hamilton wrote:
make yourself known, be a "go-to" for information and advice. be honest. really, be honest. don't sell out. not for all the free stuff in the world. you'll last longer if your true to yourself.
So true! I have seen so many people go to companies and ask them what the companies can do for THEM. Not what they can do to help the company. Big mistake imo.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

I have two tips to share from my own experience and mistakes I made along the way, start off using your real name on the INTERNET, work hard, be honest, market yourself and your fishing image. Just be yourself and if you have what it takes international companies will notice your name when it comes up in discussion or your resume/marketing plan goes across their desk. Second, join a professional fishing organization like the PAA or NPAA to network and gain advice from anglers that are making a living at fishing.

Viral marketing is here so do your homework...

-sheldon
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

You look like a young fella in your late teens, early twenties. You obviously have a passion for fishing.

Not to be an arse here but just to be honest...

What should you really be dedicated towards at this phase in your life? A sponsorship in fishing? So that gear may come freely, or maybe even a little money? In all likelihood it won't happen. Not nearly yet at least. And if it did, you would have to be at the top of the heap of a fortunate few that can make fishing, a living. Ask RJ, or Eyetracker, or... Justin... or whomever you know that does have a sponsor(s), if they can make a living... a decent, sustainable living on what their sponsors give or do for them.

They can't. 99+ % can not. In fact, their sponsors make the living off of them... rarely, if ever, is it the other way around. But two things about just even these guys I mention is, they all have real jobs first, and they all have tonnes more fishing experience than you do.

I suggest you refocus. You can come back to this sponsorship business later. You can enjoy a day or two a week fishing as always, but in the meantime get your head out of this cloud and go work hard at finding the means to a quality of life that will allow this pursuit later on. Such as, going to school and finding a solid career, getting a good, secure job. Taking courses such as media, writing, journalism, photography, marketing, business, whatever... to help serve you better if fishing is what you want to make a living in. If it's just sponsorship for fun you want right now, forget about it until you have acquired the necessary life skills needed for a good life. Concentrate your efforts on things of importance. That should be "the" goal for a fella your age.

I used to dream of being the next, Flea or Les Claypool, but I like to eat food, alot, so starving to death wasn't the best plan to try first. :wink:
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

well said moosebunk.

career first...thats is the number one thing.

you can count on one hand people that make a living only frome sponsors in canada.

better get a great job then a good job will let you have a lot off free time to go fishing then go up frome there.

joco
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

This website has helpped me greatly when I was applying to companies.
www.blitzcreek.com
Go to the middle of the page and click on "Getting Sponsors Part 2"

Be prepared to work HARD!!!
There are to many people that try to get companies to pay for thier entries with out thinking of the business.

Give me a call and I can hep you out and fill you in 647-888-7300.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers
JP
Smile, It's a good day on the water!!
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Chevy,

Thought I'd toss a few words of advice your way, as Pro Staff and sponsorship deals are something I have a bit of experience with.

First off, as many have said, very few sponsorship deals (and especially those dealing with the Canadian market) offer financial incentives, unless you are the extreme "cream of the crop." Sure, a handful of guys are paid to represent a company, but they are definitely in the minority.
Prepare yourself to receive free product (although with the current economy this is happening less and less), but more so, discounted tackle is generally what you will be looking at. This is fine if it is gear you regularly use and trust, as saving a few bucks here and there is always a great deal. But again, nothing is free in this world. You still need to work for the rewards you reap, and if you can't prove to a company you are actually selling product for them, you'll be dropped like a hot potato. That's the way of the business.
I am lucky to have a couple of Pro Staff positions. Although I won't divulge what those deals involve, to remain with these companies, I need to submit quarterly reports showcasing the work I have done for each over the course of the year. An example of a report of mine might include the number of articles that made mention of their product, number of images that made it in to said magazines, number of post on web-based sites, amount of stock images I shot, how I showcased decals/clothing, visits to tackle shops to discuss new product, contests I may have designed/ran, direct sales, trade shows/seminars, etc. These are the type of things you need to do in order to maintain a Pro Staff position.

Long gone are the days of product being thrown at you because you fish a few tournaments. Let's face it - how much product are you REALLY selling by wearing a shirt out in the boat, and unless you routinely place yourself on the podium, you're not being noticed anyways. No, diversification is what companies are now looking at, and the more skills or talents you can offer, will give you a better shot in the long run.

I haven't fished tournaments for close to 20 years now. I don't believe that has affected my chances of securing sponsorship deals. Being a Field Editor for Ontario Out of Doors magazine, a freelance writer and photographer, and getting my name across a host of web-based sites has been my strong suit. In fact, I was "discovered" to shoot a pilot for my own fishing show, and secured all of my sponsorship deals as a direct result of posting on this site and Ontariofishing.net. Believe me - companies keep an eye on message boards, and as RJ said, you can promote a product far more here than by fishing any sort of tournament. It's all about getting your message out to the masses. But never in a "in your face" sort of way.

Sheldon had an excellent point. Always use your real name on sites if it is your intention to pursue any of this stuff. What you are trying to establish is name recognition. This is tough to do when going the route of a moniker or nickname. Just something to keep in mind.

I just checked out your blog. Not bad, but professionalism is key to getting noticed. As Steve pointed out - use a spell checker. Construct proper sentences and use appropriate grammar. If you don't "appear" professional in how you present yourself, that resume will go to the bottom of the heap - guaranteed.

Look in to taking an outdoor writing course. I was a student of The North American School of Outdoor Writing. It helped me in leaps and bounds, and definitely helped me achieve the success I have had.

Improve your photography skills. This is a big one. It can only help.

And lastly, make sure you are taking care of the other aspects of your life that are much more important. That includes the best education you can and a legitimate career that can provide security and stability. My writing and photography business is a part time job for me. I have another job that provides a salary that I can sustain a living from. Could I do the fishing game full time? I highly doubt it.

Hope this provides some food for thought. Follow your dreams, but just do it with an open mind and with a concentration on establishing a "real" job first and foremost. Anything extra in the fishing game is just icing on the cake...

Good Fishing,

Justin
Justin Hoffman
Field Editor - Ontario Out of Doors Magazine
Fishing Writer / Wildlife Photographer
www.JustinHoffmanOutdoors.com
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

Chevy

Another possible way of chasing your dream, would be to research fishing scolarships in the southern states.

They have quite a series down there

http://www.collegiatebasschampionship.com/
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Drew and Justin......those are two great honest, helpful replies!
petawawarace
Participant
Participant

Post by petawawarace »

Chevy,

What these guys have said is so true. You need to have a good job before you can ever think of living off of fishing alone.

You have to think of it as a business. You are the product that your trying to sell. Anyone that starts their own small business, usually does it on the side first. Then if it takes off, they look at the possibility of doing it full time. I suggest you look at this the same way. In order for you to fish for a living, your going to need a nice boat (not just for fishing out of, but one of the biggest things it can be used for is a rolling billboard when you travel). Your going to have to pay for the boat yourself. Noone is going to sponsor you a $40,000 bass boat, if what you have now is a rubber dingy. Get started on a good solid career, and build off of that.

I'll let this little secret out of the bag for you though.....The way to make a million dollars from fishing is to start with two million!!!!! its sad but true
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Moosebunk wrote:You look like a young fella in your late teens, early twenties. You obviously have a passion for fishing.

Not to be an arse here but just to be honest...

What should you really be dedicated towards at this phase in your life? A sponsorship in fishing? So that gear may come freely, or maybe even a little money? In all likelihood it won't happen. Not nearly yet at least. And if it did, you would have to be at the top of the heap of a fortunate few that can make fishing, a living. Ask RJ, or Eyetracker, or... Justin... or whomever you know that does have a sponsor(s), if they can make a living... a decent, sustainable living on what their sponsors give or do for them.

They can't. 99+ % can not. In fact, their sponsors make the living off of them... rarely, if ever, is it the other way around. But two things about just even these guys I mention is, they all have real jobs first, and they all have tonnes more fishing experience than you do.

I suggest you refocus. You can come back to this sponsorship business later. You can enjoy a day or two a week fishing as always, but in the meantime get your head out of this cloud and go work hard at finding the means to a quality of life that will allow this pursuit later on. Such as, going to school and finding a solid career, getting a good, secure job. Taking courses such as media, writing, journalism, photography, marketing, business, whatever... to help serve you better if fishing is what you want to make a living in. If it's just sponsorship for fun you want right now, forget about it until you have acquired the necessary life skills needed for a good life. Concentrate your efforts on things of importance. That should be "the" goal for a fella your age.

I used to dream of being the next, Flea or Les Claypool, but I like to eat food, alot, so starving to death wasn't the best plan to try first. :wink:
Will you be my Dad? :lol:

Seriously MB that is the sagest advice I have read in a long time and I mean that sincerely. Wish more people/parents were like this in their thinking.

WM: Based on this post and your concessions boat idea you are obvioulsy entrepreneurial. Find something sustainable that makes $$$ and combine it with fishing...savvy?

Biology (Canmoore), Writing (Justin/Tim) etc...see they all have something behind them in order to fall back on.

I think your dream is AWSOME, and no way trying to burst your bubble. Look at JP Derose...I am sure that guy has a marketing career....he SELLS product.

Look up to guys like BIG Jim and Eye Tracker for skill and guys like JP Derose for marketability.

and like it was said....appearance means EVERYTHING. Baggy pants and a sideways cap does not make you look trustworthy to your demographic.

I wish you the best man...honestly.
I fish when SHE lets me!!!
tman12
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tman12 »

I'm all for the idea man!
Say, how old do you have to be to get a sponser couse I'd sure like one!!! :D :D :lol: I fish a bunch in the summer! 97% of the summer I am fishing! 100% when we are at our cottage in Canada!
I do not fish more than 2-4 times a winter though so.........
Great idea though Chevy!
TT
TY
Formerly known as "The Torpedo"
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Maple »

Doesn't Ottawa University have a fishing team now?

Might be a way to get an education and make some contacts.