Galetta....

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
solar
Participant
Participant

Post by solar »

The only sanctuary on the Mississippi River in Zone 18 that is even near Galetta as per the 2010 regs is from the upstream side of the 5 span bridge in Pakenham back upstream to the falls in Almonte. QED, this means the dam in Galetta is not a sanctuary as I read it. The other two areas on the Mississippi River that are sanctuaries as per the regs are in Drummond Township (near Perth). So, as I read the 2010 regs, the area of the dam in Galetta is fine.

If you do fish tonight, would you please post as to how you did?

Thanks,

Chris
Climber2k
Participant
Participant

Post by Climber2k »

The regs are for the Ottawa river, something like this.
From dochart creek to the lighthouse all the way to the south end of the cn bridge at lavergne point. includes madawaska up to hydro and mississipi up to the falls.
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fiiish »

I wish they could just have a map and highlight the areas they're talking about since the areas they talk about aren't even labeled on the map they provide.
For example, Ottawa River from Dochart Creek to the lighthouse... "The" lighthouse? I didn't know there was only one lighthouse. Just a bit confusing IMO :roll:
solar
Participant
Participant

Post by solar »

Here's the MNR regulations for Zone 18, 2010:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/mnr_e001337.pdf

The exceptions/exclusions and fishing sanctuaries are spelled out on the second and thrid pages for Mississippi River. Galetta and Mohr's Road are in Zone 18. Hope this helps.

Chris
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

Solar,

You have read zone 18 correctly however you need to direct your sights to zone 12 where the miss as a trib is included all the way to the galetta generating station...

Thanks
let the slay commence
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

solar wrote:The only sanctuary on the Mississippi River in Zone 18 that is even near Galetta as per the 2010 regs is from the upstream side of the 5 span bridge in Pakenham back upstream to the falls in Almonte. QED, this means the dam in Galetta is not a sanctuary as I read it. The other two areas on the Mississippi River that are sanctuaries as per the regs are in Drummond Township (near Perth). So, as I read the 2010 regs, the area of the dam in Galetta is fine.

If you do fish tonight, would you please post as to how you did?

Thanks,

Chris
I believe that's right in the town of Carleton Place. :wink:
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

From zone 12 regs:

Lac des Chats (Ottawa River),
Madawaska River and Mississippi
River - including waters of the
Madawaska River downstream from
the Arnprior Generating Station,
Ottawa River from Dochart Creek
to the lighthouse (45°27'03''N,
76°21'02''W.) and then east following
the inter-provincial boundry to
the south end of the CNR bridge
at Lavergne Point - West Carleton
TWP., and the Mississippi River
downstream from the Generating
Station at the town of Galetta.
Raminator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Raminator »

umm yes only 1 lighthouse in the sanctuary on the extreme west end of the sanctuary which covers the madawaska confluence,the only cn bridge on the east end covers the miss confluence. then back down to,count them,2 power generating stations,galetta on the miss and arnprior on the mad., no sanctuary on the head pond,but sanctuary on the miss from galetta down to 5 span, then from 5 span to almonte.
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

Eli posted it as its written in the regs...

Raminator very confusing batch of words there... and there is no sanctuary from galetta upstream to the 5 span.... but you'd be hard pressed to find channel cats in that section anyway.
let the slay commence
Steady Eddy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Steady Eddy »

Thanks for clearing that up Eli. Who would've known, for zone 18, I had to scour the entire f'n regs.....makes sense..... :?
Steady.

Born To Fish, Forced To Work.
Steady Eddy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Steady Eddy »

For the record, 2 of us fished worm, 1 with a float, 1 on bottom. 5 spots in the Galetta/Fitzroy area for about 4 hrs. No bites.
Steady.

Born To Fish, Forced To Work.
shore finder
Participant
Participant

Post by shore finder »

Hey I called shotgun on this spot below the dam last year so everyone out. Just kidding. It is a good spot for cats though once it opens. I was there last year for the bass opener and caught many cats along with bass on just a senko worm. But the bite died off during summer.

Eli wrote:From zone 12 regs:

I already read this as regards the dams on the miss and mad. But what about that area of the ottawa river (fitroy harbour). I guess thats what they call "lac des chats" in that area or what? so no fishing the river in the area til may?
solar
Participant
Participant

Post by solar »

Eli wrote:From zone 12 regs:

Hey, then I stand corrected, my apologies.

No idea why the regs for Zone 18 could not simply indicate that. I see that Zone 12 is the Ottawa River (Ontario side), but if you read the regs for Zone 18, I personally would have thought in good faith that fishing below the dam was fine. They really need a map on their site that shows the off-limits spots in red, otherwise you're left trying to decipher helpful regualtions such as:

"The Mississippi not including but up to the fouth indentation in the area of weeds not less than 20 meters from the upstream side of the hidden number marker under the bridge located at 00.05 South 01.13 East seen only under the light of the third full moon when facing west with north wind blowing across the face of an enchanted compass, backwards left and turn around then including the adjunct portion of river which is unnamed, including but not including that aspect of the appurtenance tributary."

Easy.

Hey, maybe I should apply to write regs for the Ministry..... :wink:

Does this stipulation therefore put the boat launch at Fitzroy Harbour and any part of the Mississippi River as well?
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

Lac des Chats and the Miss river are on the other side of the dam at Fitzroy.