Jury awards $3.8M for Prop accident

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

The driver didn't get nothing I'm sure he'll get a big pile of cash from his 1 legged millionaire buddy.

The justice system is so screwed up, the crooks have more rights then the victims and only the rich and those on welfare can afford to defend themselfs.

I've completly lost faith in the system.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

I'm not surprised in the least at the outcome.
If Winnipeg gets a hockey team, Toronto will want one too.....
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Cyber wrote:I see he sued Sea Ray & Merc, did he also sue his
A-hole buddy for backing over him!!???? :shock: :evil: :evil: :roll: :roll:

Litigation crazy or what!!!?? :hs :hs
From the article

"After deliberating for about seven hours, jurors found that Brunswick shared more than half of the blame for the accident. Jurors also found the teen responsible as well as the driver of the boat, the report said. "
West Lake Willows
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by West Lake Willows »

Sorry guys, just realized the first link I provided for the full article is bad. Here is the correct link. I will edit my original post to correct this.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/jur ... 27456.html

Quote:

According to Monday's decision, Brunswick was 66 percent responsible for the accident, and Brochtrup and the boat's driver each were 17 percent liable. The driver wasn't part of the suit and will pay no damages.

Crazy....the teen who jumps in behind the boat is 17 percent liable and the guy who puts the boat in reverse and backs over him is 17 percent liable? But the company the built the boat is 66 percent liable??!?!? The courts are nuts.

Scott
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

ChampionNorm wrote:
Cyber wrote:I see he sued Sea Ray & Merc, did he also sue his
A-hole buddy for backing over him!!???? :shock: :evil: :evil: :roll: :roll:

Litigation crazy or what!!!?? :hs :hs
From the article

"After deliberating for about seven hours, jurors found that Brunswick shared more than half of the blame for the accident. Jurors also found the teen responsible as well as the driver of the boat, the report said. "
Yeah, so what?? Not costing him anything, is it?? Like TM said, he & 'hoppy' are probably dreamin' up ways to spend their 'windfall'.
Too bad for the kid, but no way they deserve 3.8 million!! :shock: :x

From Scott's post: "The driver wasn't part of the suit and will pay no damages." :roll: :roll:

Where in the #&%@ is the justice in that??!! I hope Brunswick ties him up in appeals 'til he'll be too old to enjoy the 'settlement'!! :twisted: :twisted:
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
Raminator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Raminator »

you can bet brunswick,owner of mercury and searay,will spend 100 million to not have to pay 3.8, just to close the door on goofball lawsuits,and more importantly not let this be a case study for other idiots.
steve2112
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by steve2112 »

Could there not be some kind of cage to enclose the prop?

Steve
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

Wow talk about messed up! So what I'm getting out of this is that I could get into my chevy truck, run someone over and only be %17 liable and chevy will take %66 of the blame and of coarse the person who got hit will take %17 of the blame as well!!! I guess if you find a lawyer that has no morrals and will take on any case regardless of it's merrit, this is what happens! What a shame! Now where's my truck gotta go for a ride! lol Might have a better case if I where driving a toyota!!! lol
moostash
Participant
Participant

lawers

Post by moostash »

efn self serving lawers are the only ones who really benefit from crap judgements like this. I hope they appeal and win so that insurance rates don't go up. Sue the driver for being brainless.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

In Canada this would not have happened.

The driver of the boat would have had a Pleasure Craft Operators Card proving his competency and skills in this situation such as this.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I can see it now,

The companies will counter sue.

So the boat dealership will be 60% responsible for selling the boat, the kid who lost his leg's parents will be 20% for raising a stupid kid, and the parents of the driver will be 10% and the gal in the bikini who distracted him will be another 10%..

STUPID.
I fish when SHE lets me!!!