Anobody still ice fishing out there???

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Anobody still ice fishing out there???

Post by katch moore »

This will be my last weekend ice fishing fishing for pike and walleye, I think...

Up here the majority of the lakes close on April 1st to the long weekend in May.

There are still some stocked trout lakes that are open year round and there is one lake called Utikuma that is open year round. It's full of big pike and big walleye.

So I might be ice fishing through April...But for the most part I see this weekend as my last ice fishing weekend.

I had my first day on the ice back in November '09 and it went strong all the way through March and probably will go into April.

Last weekend we were still driving on the ice, with the ice being about 2 and a half feet thick. :D

So anybody else in back home still ice fishing???
steve2112
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by steve2112 »

Katch moore

I used fish at Utikma alot good lake - big perch. Most people would be out at the island but we go to a bay on the south east corner of the lake. We also got some big whitefish there..surprise catches really

Have you gone into Orloff lake? Lots of nice walleye in that lake and also great pike and ling.

I would normally finished my season at shaws point on lesser slave lake. Great walleye there this time of year, they are heading up the river to spawn. I watched a guy get 3 - 8 pounders in ten minutes. We would always limit out on 4 -5 pounders and loss a few rods down the hole to big pike. There are lots of 20 pound pike in that lake.

Steve
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Hey Katch. My ice gear is packed away in the basement but I think Akira has convinced me to pull out a couple rods and hike into some remote spec territory tomorrow. Will base our decision upon his return tonight from the area. If we do go out it will definatly be my last outing on the ice this season...if not then I can still say I ended the winter on a good note chasing slabs :)

Has anyone been in the Bancroft or Calabogie area ice fishing recently that can comment on ice conditions?

Best of luck on the ice this weekend :!:
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

I'm wondering how much ice "Nipigon" still has up at Thunder Bay?

Zone 18 Ice is finished for me... still thick in some places, but honeycombed all the way through so it won't support weight.
The Nipigon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by The Nipigon »

Out4trout wrote:I'm wondering how much ice "Nipigon" still has up at Thunder Bay?

Zone 18 Ice is finished for me... still thick in some places, but honeycombed all the way through so it won't support weight.
There is about 18" four days ago with 2/3rds of that candled. The shore ice just about gone so getting out is an issue. The ice gear has been cleaned up and put away. Just starting to hit the river for Bows and Steels; it's still early but they will come.

Later
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, fishing rod in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!."
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

i no there was people fishing on ice right here about 15 mins froome hull on a local lake..last sunday 6 days ago...not sher now.

there still ice up north(1-2h)..not sher how good taugh..

going fast and fast.

joco
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by katch moore »

I just got back from a 12 hour day on the ice!! Just great. Lots of fish, from Walleye, Pike to Ling.

I also drove on. Might head back out tomorrow..not too sure...

also seen about 60 Elk on the way back from the lake.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Katch - looks like ice fishing is done early for everyone here except you...

We expect a LOT of pics and reports from you ... to help us as we go through withdrawal symptoms... :D
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

The Nipigon wrote: There is about 18" four days ago with 2/3rds of that candled. The shore ice just about gone so getting out is an issue. The ice gear has been cleaned up and put away. Just starting to hit the river for Bows and Steels; it's still early but they will come.

Later
Scotty - Too bad - I figured you'd still be slaying... the warm weather was more widespread than I thought!! A warm March is not that uncommon around here, but must be quite rare for North of Superior!!

Cheers
stclairhound
Participant
Participant

Post by stclairhound »

I fished some out of the freezer for my drink.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Tip-up wrote:Hey Katch. My ice gear is packed away in the basement but I think Akira has convinced me to pull out a couple rods and hike into some remote spec territory tomorrow. Will base our decision upon his return tonight from the area. If we do go out it will definatly be my last outing on the ice this season...if not then I can still say I ended the winter on a good note chasing slabs :)

Has anyone been in the Bancroft or Calabogie area ice fishing recently that can comment on ice conditions?

Best of luck on the ice this weekend :!:
Hey Andrew...a buddy of mine took a walk to a "little green lake" and said the ice was soft and slushy. He threw a few rocks on it and it stuck in about 4-5"...Not to safe anymore in my opinion. Be safe Andrew
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

I was standing on a good foot of boogie ice yesterday, mind ya it was much thinner near shore!
S.M.05
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by S.M.05 »

getnjiggywithit wrote:I was standing on a good foot of boogie ice yesterday, mind ya it was much thinner near shore!
Anything wierd happen out there. :roll: :lol:

With that week of cold weather we had, the ice was better this weeeknd then last.
Dont think the weather is gonna do that this week 8)
The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter!
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

Was that you that left that on my windshield? :lol:
Your right about the ice! With the +20 forcasted for later on this week it won't be long 8)
S.M.05
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by S.M.05 »

:roll: ...... :lol:
Nice rig, a little upgrade from the taco.
The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter!