Fishing log

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Wabler
Participant
Participant

Fishing log

Post by Wabler »

I'm going to keep a fishing log this year for the first time. I usually get out once per week. I'll keep track of where I launch, weather conditions, water temp, and species targeted on my fishing days, and then the info on the fish caught: measurement (assuming not OOS), bait, bait colour, water depth, structure, and way point (if I'm paying attention before I've drifted halfway down the river).

Anyone else do this? Are there any other interesting factoids I should be tracking?
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

I keep logs as well.....moon phase is another good one to log... :wink:
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

i keep a log but not as intense as that
i keep track of the fish lenghth wat time its caught at and on what lure/color
i think its gonna help in the long run 8)
GR8-Scott
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by GR8-Scott »

I haven't in the past, but thinking it might be a good idea this season to start. My Uncle kept one last year, mostly the date, time (start-finish), type and number of fish caught, and what type of bait/lure used.

Has anyone reviewed the data they collected over the years to see if the information was valuable? I'd be interested to know.

Thanks
Scott
- A bad day on the water is better than a good day in the office.....
- Every day can be a fishing day, but not every day will be a catching day.......
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

I have kept a log for quite a few years. I use a paper book, then move the info into an Excel spreadsheet from time to time.

It definitely is a useful tool... without the log, certain trends are hard to identify. For example - if I do 5 year sort on a particular lure, may find that it mostly catches fish on cloudy days. Then I will use that lure more on cloudy days, which admittedly can skew the data in it's favour.

Water temp, cloud cover, wind direction and barometer are the most identifiable traits that the log has proven to be critical. Also have found that sames species from different lakes have different preferable lures...

One thing that I started doing about 4 years ago, is adding what didn't work to the log. That is useful info as well...
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

Out4Trout, that is probably the most genious thing... adding what doesn't work. I gunna have to start to do that.

One thing I have been searching for is an iPhone app that can track this info. Anyone know of any good ones? First hand knowledge?
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Yep...Mine's just a big Word doc - basically a bunch of (much more detailled :wink: ) fishing reports

Date, general wx, waterbody, where I fished there, time, what worked and what I would do different if I could fish it over again and pics of anything that struck me as special that day (fish, scenery, wildlife or anything else weird and wonderful).

This is a pretty typical entry:

17 May - Lake Chester

Fished Lake Chester 0600-1000. Had done well here in past fm shore so I dragged the canoe in. Wx: bright and sunny, wind steadily picked up through out the morning. 6 trout total - All came on the new P/M (panther martin silver with red/black spots). Got a dink trout on my second cast, but otherwise it was a slow start - 2 small trout between 0600 - 0900 but action picked up near the end with 4 in the last hour. Asses the rising sun warming the water must have triggered larvae activity which caused the trout to turn on. Noticed the same patterns (slow early mornings getting better as the day went on) at Treestand and Twin. Next time I'm SLEEPING IN.
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
GR8-Scott
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by GR8-Scott »

Interesting O4T.
WOW ... I like your idea of adding what didn't work. That is a valuable piece of info I would not have thought of including. I see how it could help to avoid the same mistakes in the future.

I like the idea of being able to sort the data by the different fields.

If it's not to much trouble to ask, do you think your Excel spreadsheet (template-blank of course) would be something you wold be interested in sharing with fellow F-Hers?
Scott
- A bad day on the water is better than a good day in the office.....
- Every day can be a fishing day, but not every day will be a catching day.......
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Stellar idea there O4T....I am impressed.

What kinds of columns do you have set up for it?
Do you print off a blank, fill it out on the water and then when you get home input it into the system?

Thanks for sharing that! Probably a much "tidier" way of doing it than say a typical blank paper style book.
I fish when SHE lets me!!!
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Yup paper log book here for the season and then transfer to a Excel spreadsheet in Winter. I never track winter time though..maybe I will start. So this got me to look back after reading O4T post about being able to distinguish the lure that works best in cloudy days etc and I think I have an error due to over use of a certain lure. The last two years I have used the same lure every outing for lakers and bows and the data shows of course this result. Now I need to rethink this spreadsheet and modify it. Also to which is interesting we did not lose all the ice on the lake last year until mid April. I have a very sophisticated set up that I use to determine ice thaw. Some of you may remember on Clayton lake they used to tie a watch to a rock and a rope and when it went into the lake it would stop working and you could tell when to the minute the ice was not good anymore. Well I have a rock tied to a tree with a cheap watch attached to it as well with the date on it that I toss out onto the ice my last visit to the cottage. I know last year it went in at 5:23pm April 13th. The year before I found the rock but no watch :? ...Did you get a new watch Steve two years ago. :lol:
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

Definetly intresting !
|Dore|
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

I caught a 'bow sportin' a nifty Rolex!! :shock: :shock:

(BTW, stopped @ 3:27 P.M. on Mar. 17th/08,
think Mr. Trout was into the Jamieson's! :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: )
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Re: Log - sure -
It is kind of a personal preference thing... what works for me may be different for others...

This is a downscaled sample version, you can add your own controls... for example, I have DDE links in my full version to several lake maps for GPS locations... so that the data shows up on the map.

I copied the columns from my log sheet into a sample version...
(Right click, Save As...)
http://www.fish-hawk.net/photogallery/a ... Sample.xls

Note: Bobber had earlier posted his (more advanced) logbook template on Fish-Hawk quite a while back (2003) that may still be floating around...

Re: Format - I just use an old notebook / pen while out in the boat, then transfer it to Excel later. At one time it was 2 months later ... :oops:
miker
Participant
Participant

Post by miker »

hookup: heh, yep there is an app for that http://www.ifishjournal.com/

looks OK, not great, but seems to do some stuff automatically (location/weather/time/etc). I would wonder how well it works in canada with all the automation of course..but seems kinda cool.

I've never used it, just stumbled across it after reading this thread.
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

awsome time to download it :lol: 8)