bang for the buck braid

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

bang for the buck braid

Post by Yannick Loranger »

Hello all,
I'll be spooling my flipping stick and frogging rod (which will probably both double as muskie rods too) with 65lbs PP this year, but I was wondering what you guys would recommend for an economy braid to use on trolling and jigging rods. These rods will either be used for walleye and have a thin fluoro leader or have a 40lbs fluoro leader for pike. Don't want to spend a fortune, but I want something that'll at least get me through the season. Any input is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Yannick
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

backing

Post by JZ »

Not sure you will save much by choosing one braid over another but one thing you can do to save is use a cheap mono as backing so you don't use as much braid to fill you spool.
West Lake Willows
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by West Lake Willows »

Look at Tuf-line braid. Awesome stuff, made by Western Filaments which is who made Power Pro. So Tuf-line is basically the same thing as Power Pro but for what Power Pro used to cost so about half the price as it is now.

Great product at a great price. Fireline and Power pro went stupid expensive this year. I used to buy the 1500 yard spools from Cabelas for like $150 now they are $329. Cabelas sells a 1200 yard spool of 20 lb tuf-line for $134, 14lb is only $93.99.

I just used Cabelas cause I could find the prices online. Talk to your local tackle store they can order bulk spools for you. They should carry the smaller spools.

Scott
steadyj_17
Participant
Participant

Re: bang for the buck braid

Post by steadyj_17 »

fisherguy33 wrote:Hello all,
I'll be spooling my flipping stick and frogging rod (which will probably both double as muskie rods too) with 65lbs PP this year
Thanks,
Yannick
Flipping stick for a muskie rod!?!?
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

West Lake Willows wrote:Look at Tuf-line braid. Awesome stuff, made by Western Filaments which is who made Power Pro. So Tuf-line is basically the same thing as Power Pro but for what Power Pro used to cost so about half the price as it is now.

Great product at a great price. Fireline and Power pro went stupid expensive this year. I used to buy the 1500 yard spools from Cabelas for like $150 now they are $329. Cabelas sells a 1200 yard spool of 20 lb tuf-line for $134, 14lb is only $93.99.

I just used Cabelas cause I could find the prices online. Talk to your local tackle store they can order bulk spools for you. They should carry the smaller spools.

Scott
Nice find Scott!

Any idea if this is offered in Canada? Any of the Fish Hawk sponsors? Big box Lebarron?

Thanks!

Craig
Andy_L
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Andy_L »

Baitcasters carries Tuf Line. Give them a call at 613-253-FISH if you want to know if they have the LB you want

example 20lb X 100 yrds is $12.99
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

I picked up Tuff for muskie at Bits and Baits. Give Gord a call and see what pound test he has. The price was right too!
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Thanks for the help guys. It sucks that I live in Rockland and am restricted to CT. It's not really worth the drive out to Stittsville, and with all the good stuff they had in the clearance bin at Lebaron's (which is conveniently about a 3 minute drive from my work) I've got everything I need for the season.
steadyj_17 wrote:Flipping stick for a muskie rod!?!?
7' MH & 7 1/2' MH with baitcasters spooled with 65lbs test...doesn't seem like a horrible idea...don't fish muskie enough to justify having a designated muskie outfit. Am I doing something horribly wrong here to upset the muskie mafia??

Yannick
steadyj_17
Participant
Participant

Post by steadyj_17 »

fisherguy33 wrote:
7' MH & 7 1/2' MH with baitcasters spooled with 65lbs test...doesn't seem like a horrible idea...don't fish muskie enough to justify having a designated muskie outfit. Am I doing something horribly wrong here to upset the muskie mafia??

Yannick
No just its not the ideal rod and reel combination, not going to be enjoyable throwing heavy Muskie baits all day. Even being medium heavy, next time at a tackle store compare your medium heavy to a Muskie rod that's a medium haleact and you will notice a big difference. 65 pound braid is a must though, just be sure to have the proper tools to successfully land and release it. As well keep the fight as short as possible.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Scott,

Not sure what's up at Cabela's though I bet you are looking at 200 lb test or something.....1500 yard spools are avail at 124.99 at BPS online....I don't think anyone locally carries it in 1500 yard spools...

Yannick,

Pick up a spool of either 50 or 65 pound braid at CT....it'll be around 20 bucks......on your reel put about 75 feet of mono as backing....then put on 75 yards of that 150 yard spool of braid....you'll never see that mono again until you respool.....75 yards is lots....after a year....spool that onto another reel....then retie and put it on again....if you do this you'll get 4 years of use out of that one spool of 150 yards.....FWIW I always use Power Pro....it has never let me down....

You'll be fine with your flippin stick....just make sure its XH and you'll be perfect for froggin and tossing lighter musky baits all day....

Good Luck with it!

RJ
steadyj_17
Participant
Participant

Post by steadyj_17 »

RJ he said mh not xh. I agree an extra heavy would handly lighter Musky baits but not a medium heavy
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

what ever this guy said! ---------->RJ<------------------
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Fishing 24/7 wrote:what ever this guy said! ---------->RJ<------------------
ImageImageImage :lol:

Extra Heavy rod would be the way to go if you're targetting Muskie....65lb braid is fine, just don't cheap out on a good strong leader!!
Last edited by troutnmuskiehunter on Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

yeah guys I always use cheap mono for backing, just wondering what the best braid would be. Probably should have ordered in bulk from BPS or Cabela's but I don't think I could justify spend 150$ on line to wife. Ugly Braid was on sale at CT so I picked up some of that. Noticed that PP is cheaper at CT than Lebaron's but they don't carry 65lbs.
Thanks for all the input, I'll be looking at ordering bulk in the future.

Tight lines,
Yannick
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

I think braids are close to each other as it comes to the lower pound test. But when it comes to muskie size weights like 80+ pound test I would highly recommend Power Pro over Tuff, there is no comparison. You just can't break that stuff and it will last you years.

Like RJ mentioned a 150 yard spool can fill two reels and you can reverse it after one year and get a second year so thats 2 rods 2 years for one spool. Maybe more if you don't use them that much.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin