Boat Simulator

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
West Lake Willows
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Boat Simulator

Post by West Lake Willows »

I just got back from my SVOP course. This is a Small Vessel Operator Proficiency course that was mandated by Transport Canada for Guides as of Nov 2009. Anyway, it was at Georgian College in Owen Sound.

The highlight of the course for me was being able to use their $9 million simulator. The have 5 bridges of different vessels. The big one is a complete replica of the 365' chi-chemaun ferry it is a room probably 40' in diameter that has 10' +/- floor to ceiling screens that can simulate just about anything. They can put you in just about any port from around the world, any weather condition, or just about any condition you can imagine. We got to drive this thing without really knowing what we were doing. Really cool to see how such a big vessel is operated and how it responds to weather conditions. Tons of fun. Here is some video I took using my blackberry as it was all I had. Not great quality, but gives you an idea of what the bridge and simulator looked like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhdVhd8ECW8

another from the Chi-Cheemaun but in the dark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-yRvTs5N_Y

This is from a 120' Laker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmPwdjSUVVc

Scott
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

haha... ramming speed... well done. :lol: :lol:
Dan Smyth
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Dan Smyth »

Hey that is cool. My baby brother is the helmsman on that ferry.
West Lake Willows
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by West Lake Willows »

Dan Smyth,

That is awesome. What a fun job. Although I guess its probably like everything the novelty wears off.

If I could relive my late teens and early twenties, I would get a job on one of the big yachts in the caribbean as a first mate. You can make good coin and live on a phenomenal boat all expenses paid.

Scott
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

Thank god I found out I didn't have to take that course before I spent all that time and money.

But that simulator is really interesting.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
Dan Smyth
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Dan Smyth »

Ya the brother has been there for over 20 years and has told me some pretty far out stories about some of the happenings with crew and passengers.
He wanted to join the Navy as i did but couldn't stand to leave home or girlfriend(now wife) so Georgian Bay is as close to the ocean as he could get.