Monster pike - trip planning

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

As for Quebec I talked to an outfitter who had trips to the Resevoirs and other lakes. He said the Resevoirs are not as good for pike because the water levels very greatly in the spring when they spawn, but are great for walleye. Not totally sure about the water levels but I assume they drain as much water out of it in the winter as they feel comfortable with, and then after the melt allow levels to go very high. Sure there are big pike in those places but I've never seen a pike report out of a Resevoir. Another thought would be lake Nipigon. It is known for lakers but has big pike. They have a mini cruise ship that tows 16 ft fishing boats behind it. You need 6 for that one. I think about $1500 per person.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

scuro wrote:Sure there are big pike in those places but I've never seen a pike report out of a Resevoir.
Tobin (and Codette) are reservoirs:

http://www.nipawin.com/pikefestival/reports.php
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

Scuro, I don;t know who you talked to but that bit of information is very misleading. I can assure everyone that the Gouin has a very healthy population of Northerns - so much so that they are considered a nuisance by the walleye seekers. The Gouin has a management policy in place that controls pool levels and draw downs. Prime spawning waters are only accessible to the fish and off limits to the fishermen.

There is a 10 pike limit on the Gouin for a reason, the population is enormous and needs culling out. It's only over the last 5 years or so that I've found more dedicated Pike Anglers asking questions about the fishery and those that do come up are very tight lipped about their success ratios - not wanting to spoil a good thing I suppose.

You and I have shared PMs in the past and as of this writing I'd like to extend an invite for early August if you can make it - there will be some very familiar faces up here then and I know you'll have a blast.
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

McQ wrote:Scuro, I don;t know who you talked to but that bit of information is very misleading. I can assure everyone that the Gouin has a very healthy population of Northerns - so much so that they are considered a nuisance by the walleye seekers. The Gouin has a management policy in place that controls pool levels and draw downs. Prime spawning waters are only accessible to the fish and off limits to the fishermen.

There is a 10 pike limit on the Gouin for a reason, the population is enormous and needs culling out. It's only over the last 5 years or so that I've found more dedicated Pike Anglers asking questions about the fishery and those that do come up are very tight lipped about their success ratios - not wanting to spoil a good thing I suppose.

You and I have shared PMs in the past and as of this writing I'd like to extend an invite for early August if you can make it - there will be some very familiar faces up here then and I know you'll have a blast.
It was a Quebec fly-in outfitter. He had several lakes plus access into the one of the larger reservoir. Perhaps he was selling me a line to get me into a less popular lake. McQ you are about as knowledgeable a fishermen as I've ever met so if you tell me something I gotta believe it!

Quebecors do dislike pike as do most in Ontario who live north of Sudbury and North Bay. Big lakes hold big fish. I can very well see such a lake as the Gounin holding large pike. They may be easy targets too since few fish them. Still, it would be hard for me believe that shield reservoir would hold as many pike as a classic shallow pike lake like Kesagami On, or those in northern manitoba.

Wish I could come up this summer to be proven wrong, but my summer is booked up with trips and family time. Next year!!
Suddsy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Suddsy »

I went through a similar exercise this time last year and after many hours of research the notes below are the end product that I sent out the other three guys in our group. We ended up going to Wildewood Lodge on Savant Lake and did catch trophy pike. If you are not interested in Lake Trout I think that the Lake Joseph locations might be a better option. If you are interested in any of these locations or info about our trip give me a shout.

TRIP PLANNING ANALYSIS:

v Northern Ontario is our best bet for trophy pike or lake trout.

v North Western Ontario is the top location for the combination of biggest size and largest number of fish to be caught.
v As you head east towards the Ontario/Quebec border it seems that there is still plenty of great fishing, (but not the same trophy sizes as N.W. Ontario).
v With the exception of Lake Abitibi there are not a lot of large lakes or much in the way of prime trophy waters in North Eastern Ontario.
v The other factor of course is distance.
§ North Western Ontario in the preferred areas is approximately 1800 kilometers (Ignace/Lake Savant area)
§ North Central Ontario is approximately 1000 kilometers (Hearst)

I have not done detailed research in the North Central area to this point but can do so if that is the preferred area for the rest of you. It is not a big deal with me so I will go with the majority. There are a large number of lakes in N.W. Ontario with trophy fishing in significant numbers but I have mainly focused on those places that are accessible by car. If the rest of you would like me to look at the fly-in locations I will do so. In addition to the lodges I have seen or been in contact with I also have a number of e-mails out to different lodges I have not heard back from yet. In all cases I have asked for a price based on 5 nights 4 days of fishing, hopefully this is what everyone wants but if not we can probably go back and try to renegotiate prices. The following are my top three picks of the ones that I have looked at to date.

Wildewood Resort on Savant Lake is $845 per person in U.S. funds and would not negotiate on the price. The do however have a special on where we can get one person for free so the math on that would be: $845 X 3 = $2535 X Exchange Rate makes it approx. $3266 or $820 cdn. each. There is PST & GST on top of that as well which will bring it to approximately $950. The biggest advantage of Lake Savant (according to their web site) is that it contains trophy size Lake Trout in addition to Pike and lots of walleye. It is also smaller than the other lake I have picked so wind may not be a factor if the weather gets real bad. The lake is not accessible by the public but the lodge has a special ATV type vehicle that they take you in on.

Lake St. Joseph has two lodges accessible by car. They will pick you up in their parking lot and for both of them it is a ten minute boat ride to their lodge. I have attached an Ontario Out of Doors magazine article on fishing Lake St. Joseph and it sounds phenomenal for lots of trophy size pike and big walleye but does not have lake trout. This lake is quite a bit bigger than Lake Savant with lots of structure to fish. The lodges are as follows:

Camp Lake St. Joseph is a smaller lodge and not as fancy as the other two lodges I selected but to me based upon price it seems like the best option of the three locations. They will pick you up at their parking lot and ferry you by boat to their lodge. Although their prices are in U.S. dollars the owner has agreed to give us the same price in Canadian dollars. The only availability they have in May & June is during the period of May 23rd thru June 5th. The cost for 5 nights & 4 days would be $470 per person plus taxes of approximately $70 for a total of approximately $540 Canadian.

The Lake St. Joseph Old Post & Village Lodge is a very nice lodge which picks you up by boat and it is about a ten minute ride to the lodge. Their cabins and boats are very nice. The fishing is the same as the Camp Lake St. Joseph mentioned above. There rate is $849 U.S. funds but they have also agreed to give it to us with Canadian at par.. So the approximate cost including taxes is $930 Canadian.
:)
kgeary
Participant
Participant

Post by kgeary »

Check out Nungesser lake
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Joisey Joe »

Check out the latest issue of In-Fisherman, they have the top 10 spots for trophy Pike! Joe.
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

Hey can you list them? Would love to hear their picks.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

scuro wrote: Quebecors do dislike pike as do most in Ontario who live north of Sudbury and North Bay.
I agree with you on that Scuro, When I go back home for a visit my friends also swear at all those 3-4 lbs smallies that they can't keep off of there hooks????
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Joisey Joe »

Here goes-10 Sportsman's Lodge and Trophy Outposts, Ontario, 800-465-1097

9-Lawrence Bay Lodge, Saskatchewan, 701-262-4560, lawrencebay.com

8-Nueltin Fly-In Lodges, Manitoba, 800-361-7177, nueltin.com

7-Dunlop's Fly-In Lodge and Outpost, Manitoba, 204-422-6809, dunlopfishing.com

6-Wollaston Lake Lodge, Saskatchewan, 800-328-0628, wollastonlakelodge.com

5-Lac La Marte Lodge, Northwest Territories, 262-534-7379, nwtfishing.com

4-Trout Rock Lodge, Northwest Terr., NWT, 867-873-4334, enodah.com

3-Midnight Sun Troph Pike Adventures, Alaska, 800-440-7453, mspta.com

2-Lakers Unlimited, Saskatchewan, 780-428-8239, lakersunlimited.com

1-Aurora Nights Lodge, Northwest Terr., 867-394-4001, auroranights.ca

Have fun! Joe.
acuteangler
Participant
Participant

Post by acuteangler »

Big Ty,

My son and I flew out of Nakina on what we thought would be a memorable trip, lots of big walleye and trophy pike. the trip started very promising, we caught teo 4lb walleye off the dock before the plane was out of sight. We never caught another walleye over a lb and only caught 40 between the two of us in 7 days. We caught 31 pike but the biggest was only 8lb. We are noe expert fishermen but we are not beginners either. I mentioned the results to the outfitter when he picked us up and he just shrugged his shoulders and did not appear surprised. Some of these remote camps do not mean automatic trophies. I have found the advice given on sites like this by fellow anglers to be much more reliable than Brochures. Sorry to be a pessamist but I just want to share my experience.

AA
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

Joisey Joe wrote:Here goes-10 Sportsman's Lodge and Trophy Outposts, Ontario, 800-465-1097

9-Lawrence Bay Lodge, Saskatchewan, 701-262-4560, lawrencebay.com

8-Nueltin Fly-In Lodges, Manitoba, 800-361-7177, nueltin.com

7-Dunlop's Fly-In Lodge and Outpost, Manitoba, 204-422-6809, dunlopfishing.com

6-Wollaston Lake Lodge, Saskatchewan, 800-328-0628, wollastonlakelodge.com

5-Lac La Marte Lodge, Northwest Territories, 262-534-7379, nwtfishing.com

4-Trout Rock Lodge, Northwest Terr., NWT, 867-873-4334, enodah.com

3-Midnight Sun Troph Pike Adventures, Alaska, 800-440-7453, mspta.com

2-Lakers Unlimited, Saskatchewan, 780-428-8239, lakersunlimited.com

1-Aurora Nights Lodge, Northwest Terr., 867-394-4001, auroranights.ca

Have fun! Joe.
Interesting list, thanks for taking the time to post that.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Joe... thanks for the post.

Ya know, there are two fellas I know of that between them both have nearly 100 years experience fishing pike all over Canada. They've gone high end to totally inaccessible to most, and their top choice didn't even make that list. And they KNOW and do nothing but write and fish pike.

Anyways..... pike are pike are pike are pike are pike. No matter if they're silver out of Abitibi, green out of Bear or bronze out in Nipigon. If ya love catching them and don't get the chance often, then it won't really matter in the end what color they are, you're gonna have fun. If you want trophies... like Trophymuskie says, you could probably find 'em in the Ottawa... or, like Scuro says, break open the wallet and hit Dunlops. Slop says Attawapiskat... others Kesagami... both good choices for day only drives out the GTA or Ottawa and on the plane. Nungessor... surely seen big pike come out of there too, Nipigon as well... where I've personally seen my biggest fish swimming.

I would agree with someones sentiments here that NW Ontario has the larger fish for this province... the numbers though... I would only guess no. I've fished a few places where numbers couldn't come any faster than nearly every cast between two guys. They were more or less this side of Hearst.

Anyways, pick your price, your expectations, your dates, and your party size. List them here and maybe then folks will be able to give you a more exact idea of somewhere to suit your needs. There are a few online that have hit up amazing locations and I can bet they will all tell you if your criteria would work for their magical pike spots.

I'm going pike fishing this summer I think too... maybe two or three times. Next summer.... maybe crazy-pike-nut Scuro and I will escape for his 50th B'day bash on Slave.
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Joisey Joe »

Moose, if I ever win the lotto we're hittin all those spots! Joe.
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

Oh I plan to hit all those spots one place at a time and it may take me another 10 years to do! Perhaps a point I didn't make is that I don't believe any one spot is idiot proof. By that I mean that any newbie can go any week of the season and catch trophy after trophy. You can hit those perfect weeks but more likely conditions will require adjustment.

If you are a new to big pike it might be better not to blow the bank on the first trip. Too many people, myself included, dream way too big on the first trip. It takes time to learn the ways, but more importantly to learn by trial and error what gear and tackle is best for you. Some people do great by trolling, me...I'd be heading in early each night if I was forced to do that 8 hours a day. Fishing is about rhythm and confidence. People may tell you go here and fish like this but unless you believe in how you are fishing, and you are enjoying it, you will give up far too quickly and your time will be spent less productively. What do you do when get somewhere and hit conditions that you have never seen before. Last trip I didn't hit lunkers until day 6!! Water temps changed an unbelievable 20 degrees f in 4 days!

My bit of advice would be start at a place that is more reasonable but still is a serious trophy pike location. You will have your shots but more importantly you will get your scoolin'.

Drew, I am looking forward to doing something special on my 50th. Leslie does like your company and it would be nice to finally meet Brenda. It doesn't have to be pike but it does have to be some place special fur me lady.