Ice fishing etiquette question

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
woodhouse34
Participant
Participant

Ice fishing etiquette question

Post by woodhouse34 »

So today me and few buddies went out ice fishing for the first time in a few years. Not to familiar with the lake and etiquette. anyways we wondered our way out and noticed a creek that came into the lake and thought it would be a good spot anyways there was an ice shack out there and it was the only thing on the lake anyways we look around never went in of course and saw no one fishing in or around it so decided to drill some holes about 30 feet away from it and fish. Anyways within 20 mins a guy comes out on a ski-doo from a nearby house and starts chewing us a strip for fishing his spot. We figured no one was around or fishing it was ok to fish around this area. Anyways after threatening to start a fight with us we just moved on to the other side of the lake. Anyways we didn;t want any trouble, but just curious if what we did was wrong as we don;t really ice fish.

Thanks
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

There was nothing wrong with what you did. No one ownes the water. If people were there and set up and you moved in.... Well that's a little much. Bottom line, they/he doesn't own crap. Fish where you want.
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

It's not proper etiquette to show up 30 feet or so from someone or something...shack...broken down trailer etc, whether they are there or not.

Proper etiquette is to find your own fish and slay them!! whenever anyone shows up....pull your lines and make small talk, telling them ice fishing sucks and that your just happy to be outside. If you are quick to explain that you have financial and marital problems, they will leave you alone even sooner.

Thanks.
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

30' isn't bad at all. Back in my wooden shack ownin' days, I'd show up and find holes cut right outside the hut. That's dangerous as hell for children, pets, drunk friends etc... alot of times it's just guys out fishing trying to avoid wind/blowing snow and I can't blame 'em but marking your hole would be a courtesy when leaving.

As far as it being his spot, I'd have told him to go fawk his hat. He owns nada.
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

To repeat a common statement. No one owns the lake or the fish in it. Just because a hut has been put up, does that mean no one else can fish that area when they are not there? The owner may only come out once a week. I think the etiquette is if they put their hut on a prime spot but are not there that day, go ahead and fish the area. If they show up and you had your holes close to the shack, talk to them and see how they feel about your location. Come to an agreement.
I think you could have told buddy in the shack to pound salt. Having your shack there isn't like a mining claim!
Common sense dictates about not putting holes in areas around the shack that where people would walk, pee, etc.

Don't get viscious on this one folks!
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

slop wrote:It's not proper etiquette to show up 30 feet or so from someone or something...shack...broken down trailer etc, whether they are there or not.

Proper etiquette is to find your own fish and slay them!! whenever anyone shows up....pull your lines and make small talk, telling them ice fishing sucks and that your just happy to be outside. If you are quick to explain that you have financial and marital problems, they will leave you alone even sooner.

Thanks.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
let the slay commence
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

slop wrote:It's not proper etiquette to show up 30 feet or so from someone or something...shack...broken down trailer etc, whether they are there or not.
So Slop, I assume you do not think it's right to fish within 30 feet of docks, or 30 feet of shoreline with houses or cottages either?

Pulling up to an empty shack is in no way like pulling up 30' from someone and fishing on top of them because there is no someone in a empty shack.

It'd be like boat-fishers never going near the shorelines under bridges cause we all know that is where shore-fisher men are fishing... or never going near boat-launches for the same reason. Frequenting a spot does not give rights to it.

The guy was being over protective, from your description and beyond having no right to open his yap, had some set of brass monkeys to even attempt to push you out of the way.

I'm sure you did the right thing by backing off it's unfortunate that by leaving at his request you likely furthered this persons belief that they can go pushing people around of their lake.
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Well Hookup I can't answer that question simply because I don't fish that way. I actually have a mandate and mission to be far away from people, houses, boats or ice shacks. I can't control people who want to come sniffing around though....and that sure as heck isn't my style of fishin'.

Maybe some of the tournament guys could discuss etiquette with regards to fishing in close proximity of ice shacks, cottages, docks or other boats.

Thanks.
nips
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nips »

woodhouse, you should of taken a crap at the front door of his shack :shock: :shock:
mikemicropterus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

slop gets my vote

Post by mikemicropterus »

:lol: Slop gets my vote find your own fish and ice fishing is not the same as fishing in a boat. :roll:

Marital and financial problems obviously a student of human nature :wink:
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Read my Blogs on http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/auth ... rstorm-ca/

Listen to Podcasts on http://www.spreaker.com/show/lanark_county_confidential
devon
Participant
Participant

Post by devon »

Seems to me fishing and attitude for some go hand in hand.....

All for the sake of a shack on the ice?

WOW!
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Some people think that because they have a little Sh#t Shack on a lake or river they own it. I would have been willing to sit there all day with buddy approaching me like that. I don't practice fishing close to people for my own reasons but most spots I fish on the Larry are packed due to lack of ice around. I don't think tournament guys care about pulling up in places with folks already fishing its when people pull into theirs they mind funny eh?
Just my 2 cents
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

I think it is time to have the first annual Fish Hawk tourney right next to this douches shack!

:twisted:

Craig
KevinF
Participant
Participant

hey

Post by KevinF »

I agree , if no one is fishing in the shack, nothing wrong with fishing at least 10 yards away to be respectable!!. Life is too short for someone to get all pee pee because your fishing in his spot, give me a break!!...Lots of fish to go around!!! I do the same , i look for the huts from the locals and you know where abouts the fish are...give or take....I would have stayed put...should have told him to call the police if he believed you where tresppassing!!just my two cents
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

30 fet away from some Dudes Shack in the middle of no where......A little to close for comfort in my opinion...