First Pike

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
FishinButch
Participant
Participant

First Pike

Post by FishinButch »

Went to Dad's Gone Fishing yesterday for some minnows and advice. Walked out with some new grubs, jigs, minnows and tons of very welcomed advice. Headed out to the St. Lawrence around 5 and put it all to use. Wanted to catch my first walleye but that did not happen. I found though pike are great fun to catch. I only caught two, kept one. After filleting it I have decided I need a class on it rather than You Tube videos. The evening was a bit windy but it died off around 7. The river calmed and I found it hard to concentrate on fishing with all of the critters that came out. Saw something that looked like a ferret. Have no idea what it was but it was fun to watch. I gave up on serious fishing when a beaver decided to make it's presence known. I could cast and it made a point of going anywhere I was and slapping it's tail. I had the camera but it was getting a bit dark and I did not want to startle it with a flash. Was great fun and will be heading out again very soon!!!
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

Congrats on your first pike. They are a pain to fillet. I'm lucky I have a neighbour who is really good at it and likes to eat pike..... :lol:

That thing that looked like a ferret might have been a muskrat. A muskrat has a rat-like tail and will often swim close to your boat.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

If it was near the shore it was most likely a mink.
colossalboom
Participant
Participant

Post by colossalboom »

Congratulations on your first pike. Pike are a blast to catch and are excellent eating. They get a bad rap because of the bones.
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Congrats on your first outing, sounds like you had a great time.
I suspect the critter you saw was a mink. I've been seeing more mink on the St. Lawrence the last few years.

DropShot'r
Mr. T.
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mr. T. »

Congrats on your first pike. 8)
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

Grats man! Pike are a very overlooked fish in general... 8)
MTF
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MTF »

Congrats on your 1st Pike....I bet now that you know how fun they are it won't be your last.
FishinButch
Participant
Participant

Post by FishinButch »

Certainly will not be my last!!! My mom in law loves pike so I will keep a few now and again. Thanks for all the kind words.....I do think the critter was a mink not a muskrat. Tail was bushy but way too long to be a squirrel. It also did go for a bit of a swim...
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Canmoore »

Pike are just as tasty as Walleye and Crappie. It takes some practice to be able to get out the Y bones. However, once you are able to do that, you will have an abundant source of tasty pike (snot rockets are the best for eating)
|D4|
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by |D4| »

congrats on your first pike !