Do you drink while fishing?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

Do you drink and fish?

Yes, Most of the time
15%
Yes, Though not often
22%
Not me, but my buddies some times bring it
4%
No way, I'm a candy-butt like hookup, no booze allowed
59%

Total votes: 96

Sniper
Participant
Participant

Post by Sniper »

I sometimes bring a couple of beers to have with my sandwich I dont see any problem with that. 2 beers with a couple of sammys cant hurt.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

eddie43 wrote: I honestly wouldn't see the problem with having some kind of legal limit similiar to driving for example.
It is actually the same thing I think. You can have a few beers at the cottage and go for a boat ride .just as long as you follow the regs limit. Cause you can't drink beer in your car even though you are under the regulation limit.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Andy_L
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Andy_L »

Canmoore wrote:
Carmine wrote:what are the rules on that anyways is it only the driver must be sober or everyone on board???
From what I know, you can only drink on a boat if the boat is equiped with a toilet and running water.

Its not hard to outfit your boat with. Just get a jug, fashion yourself a seat, and then get a little aquarium pump to suck water into the jug!!
not quite THAT simple. boat has to have a holding tank i believe and it MUST be either tied to a dock or at anchor...(Ontario) NO DRINKING BY ANYONE WHILE UNDER WAY
Philbe
Participant
Participant

Post by Philbe »

Hi all....I do not drink on board, but I'm the first to pass the pints when
we get back to the house. A few points for the folks who do decide to risk a few while boating:

1;The number 1 identified cause for fatal boating accidents is alcohol.

2;A lifejacket doesn't keep some alcohol-addled doofus from crashing into you—it just improves his chances of living to do it again

3;an inordinate number of male drowning victims are recovered with their zippers down—that leaves those with better sense to father the next generation. Called the open-fly statistic.

My 2 cents, leave the beers at home and get there safe.

Phil
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

If you are in Ontario and are caught operating a boat while impaired, you lose your driver's licence. The new 3/7/30 day licence suspension for a few beers also applies. Note that this applies to all water vessels, regardless of whether or not it is motorized.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety ... ting.shtml

Play safe.
muskymike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by muskymike »

Hookup wrote:
muskymike wrote:what a dumb question do you drink and drive?????????? :idea:
Thanks for your insight and comment. Your a class act man... if you were being funny... a light bulb at the end of your post didn't translate well for me... to me it reads... "get a clue".. aka, an insult to me, the poster of the question you are calling dumb.

If you looked over the posts in this thread one more time you'd see there has been some interesting comments on the subject....

You comment ads no value and is unappreciated.

Maybe I'm just having a bad day and need to go fishing more... maybe I'm over-reacting...
if you answers yes ???? you deserve whatever u get jail time? fine? loss of licence thats being dumb admitting you willingly break the law and put others in danger :(aka we all need to get out do more fishing i said dumd question?? after reading some responses we need a clean up on roads and on the water !!!!!!!!
WallyPro
Participant
Participant

Post by WallyPro »

muskymike wrote:
Hookup wrote:
Thanks for your insight and comment. Your a class act man... if you were being funny... a light bulb at the end of your post didn't translate well for me... to me it reads... "get a clue".. aka, an insult to me, the poster of the question you are calling dumb.

If you looked over the posts in this thread one more time you'd see there has been some interesting comments on the subject....

Maybe I'm just having a bad day and need to go fishing more... maybe I'm over-reacting...
if you answers yes ???? you deserve whatever u get jail time? fine? loss of licence thats being dumb admitting you willingly break the law and put others in danger :(aka we all need to get out do more fishing i said dumd question?? after reading some responses we need a clean up on roads and on the water !!!!!!!!
Well, in Quebec it is in fact legal to drink in the boat... just not for the driver. But it is not in Ontario. So, the question is hardly dumb... and Quebec isn't a distant land... its a 2 minute drive from downtown Ottawa.

And operating a boat on water is different from driving at high speed and having to stay in a lane and obey traffic signal... maybe just a tad different, eh?

I am wondering though how this 'non-operators only' rule applies to a shared border like the Ottawa River.

And years ago, sailors were given rum as a daily food ration.. and they were for the most part not trained sailors either. They were mostly just needed men that were put on the ship right away and to had learn as they went... rum included!
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

muskymike wrote:
Hookup wrote:

Ok, well the attack on the question aside.. the posts after are very telling.. i agree if you drink you take the risks.. if you do it drunk, i hope you get caught...

However, it seems to me, with the people i know, that I am in the minority... most people i know like to bring along a brew or three for the day on the water... and I always feel like I'm being a square telling them "not on my boat"...

Dumb question, with 3 pages of responses I think the answer is no... some interesting conversation.. for sure... Driving around drunk = dumb.. absolutely. :wink:
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Hookup wrote: However, it seems to me, with the people i know, that I am in the minority... most people i know like to bring along a brew or three for the day on the water... and I always feel like I'm being a square telling them "not on my boat"...
you are not square. Drinking and boating is dangerous, illegal and downright stupid.

Its your boat your rules. If your friends they can't handle it get better friends.
dana
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dana »

never...its bad for the balance...sploosh!!!
|D4|
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by |D4| »

I drink KOOL-AID in the boat !
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

We were stopped by the OPP yesterday and they did indeed ask if we were drinking or had booze on the boat.

Clearly we were sober and there was no visible trace evidence of booze.

But you bet your butt they would have searched that boat if they even thought we had beer.

Don't risk it. Drink soda, water etc and keep the drinking moderate for when you get back to the house, cottage etc or 1 or 2 at the restaurant afterward.

BE RESPONSIBLE....everybody here is not a teen anymore so act it.
|D4|
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by |D4| »

the only time i'll ever bring beer in a boat is if im going camping on and island and have to carry my supplies to get there other then that I strongly beleive that DRNKING and DRIVING anything with a motor is ILLEGAL and should not be done. I ussualy stick to koolaid and Grape soda !
fishhit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishhit »

Bottom line. It's illegal! Social engineering, might be.Gov't passes laws to protect ourselves and others. Get caught, pay the price. -----up and you or someone else might die. Easier not to do it. Not that I haven't had a beer or two in the past but it's just not worth the possible cost.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Now Jamsers point about beer in the boat. I think you can have beer in the boat as long as it is not open...Am i right in this. Just like you can have beer in a vehicle as long as it is not open. What if you were heading to your camp site with a case to have while camping...are they going to charge you??? This is a serious question that I have now so do not reply with a stupid answer please. I really do not know how this would play out.