Lake Opeongo Opener

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Legend 151
Participant
Participant

Lake Opeongo Opener

Post by Legend 151 »

Hello All,
I am heading out on Opening Weekend (hopefully) to Algonquin Park, lake Opeongo.

We try and stay on Opeongo with our boat and motor and go for Lake trout, but we also take a Canoe and head into Marmott, Myra and Little Minnow for Brookies.

For Lakers we troll rapallas or spoons.

For Brookies we use a double leaf gold spinner with a worm 8 inches behind, its deadly.

Any others go and do this type of trip and what gives you luck??

can't wait !!!!!!
Buckshot
Participant
Participant

Post by Buckshot »

I have spent a great deal of time fishing Opeongo over the years and have made the transition to spend more time throwing plastics for Lakers there than anything else.

I find it much more rewarding and fun to catch trout in that manner.

In the early spring i have had good success using swim baits with a standard lead head jig and working rocky shorelines and shoals (5-30 ft)

If the fish are deeper i switch to heavier jig or go to a tube, it sure beats dragging a fish in on steel line or a heavy downrigger rod. i have had good fish # days and if you see fish rising start throwing a jig into it, it could be hearing rising and if it is good chance a laker will be close by and it could be lake rising also.

Dont be afraid to mix it up.

Good luck
The Captain
Participant
Participant

Post by The Captain »

I'll be heading in on the west side of the park just after opening weekend. Did alright last year for lakers, trolling Wablers found some fish, good old jig and twister worked well if they were stationary, I like the old lake trout rule for plastics: any colour, as long as its white . . .
Legend 151
Participant
Participant

Post by Legend 151 »

I have only ever jigged for walleye. What set-up do you use for jigging for trout. I figgured that white is the colour. What size jig head do you use and do you concentrate on the rock shoals that hold the trout etc?

Should be interesting way to do it.

But I have always found a good spoon tipped with pretty much anything works well. What do you tip it with?

No matter what, cooking a trout in Algonquin park on an open fire pit with lots of butter and garlic.........what can get better
The Captain
Participant
Participant

Post by The Captain »

Rock shoals are an obvious one, we found a couple spots though where a creek ran in from a big marsh, the water was a few degrees warmer, and the fish were staying close, found the spot by trolling, was glad we stopped to check it out

From a canoe is tough to do better than trolling 2 lines for lakers, or for brookies one cast, one troll depending on the wind, I usually don't tip spoons with anything for lakers, for brookies its all worms, all the time!

Just a few more weeks, wouldn't mind if it warmed up a little . . .