Osgoode Ice Fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Sentinel_76
Participant
Participant

Osgoode Ice Fishing

Post by Sentinel_76 »

Hey

So I've just moved to Osgoode after years of being stuck in the city as was looking for a bit of advice on Ice Fishing on the Rideau. I haven't noticed many huts on the river yet was wondering if it's just a matter of the ice thickness or poor fishing in that area(I'm pondering a hut somewhere around the area of Helen's/Riverbend Pub, it's fairly close to my house)

I remember they break up the ice on the Rideau in Feb/March, however I assume they only do this in the city and not as far down as Osgoode.

Any advice appreciated.

Stever
Geos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Geos »

Last edited by Geos on Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ralphie
Participant
Participant

Post by ralphie »

Ice fishing at Osgoode

The use of the Taylor park boat launch area near the river bend pub- is very busy snow mobile path. I don't remember any vehicle parking area being maintained.
I have seen huts out south of there- I think mainly due to access at the far end of the island- you will see them from river road- on the way towards kemptville. Don't think its plowed for snow
The area near pirate cove and the golf course always has some huts out- I still think is due to access- from private homes Seems there is limited for parking and vehicle access all along that stretch.
I would expect Manotick bait and tackle could advise you where to try on the Rideau in that area.

Current and ice conditions are funny on the rideau- but evey time I went out- I was more scared of the speed demons on the ski doos-quite a highway when conditions are right for them.
Excellent fishing in that area during regular season- until the boat speed demons get active

good luck if you venture out- let us know how you make out-
Sentinel_76
Participant
Participant

Post by Sentinel_76 »

Great, thanks for the info gents. I think I'll stick to known area's rather than become a news paper article. I usually stick to the side of caution when it come to the ice.
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

The mouth of Kemptville creek is popular but I have yet to find out how to easy get on the ice there.

There is usually a hut out behind James Island. You get get on the ice there and park on the side River Rd.

Now that that the sleds are out on the ice I probably try and fine some areas this year. As already mentioned, due to the current I am really cautious.

Mike
refteck
Participant
Participant

Post by refteck »

I've sledded from Osgoode for years.

My rules are - don't be the first sled on the ice and don't go north of the Roger Stevens bridge at Hurst marina. The ice north of there is very unsafe, one day you go by and it's solid and the next it's open in small slivers.

There's always some huts south of James island by the end of the month and the rest are out by the Kemptville creek. If it helps the water is only less than 2' deep between James island and the shore.