Where of, and how to for spring PIKE

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Waterwolf
Participant
Participant

Where of, and how to for spring PIKE

Post by Waterwolf »

hey they avid pike fisherman... these spring pike have been a hit and miss for me over the years... the fall is no problem whatsoever... but spring pain in the you know what... what is the secret... what kinda weather pattern, structure etc... should i be looking for??? Thanks all to avid pike fisherman i love the beasts.... and always release everyone!! :D
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Waterwolf, what typ of water will you be fishing? Great Lakes, Big rivers, creeks, ponds?? Also, where abouts? THis might help narrow down a couple suggestions.
Waterwolf
Participant
Participant

Post by Waterwolf »

hey there... i will be fishing crotch lake in the lanark county region... An abundance of rock and some weeded bays and fairly deep... and the river mouth there.. so i would fish the river and the lake for sure!!! last year acutally fishing the river mouth i was pulling in a 4 lb largemouth and wham and pike nailed it.... i was literally using the largemouth for bait the fish hit it 7 times and cause up into 7 inches of water for it with its back out.. other then that spring time i only get the odd one!!!
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

look for shallow dark bottomed waters fish sucker minnows, on a float if need be. The spring seems to produce in 10' or less of water, I have seen large pike very shallow at this time of year. My best was a 20 lber many years ago in 5' of water trolling a dead sucker minnow behind a canoe.
Davis Battah
Participant
Participant

Post by Davis Battah »

Last edited by Davis Battah on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davis Battah
Participant
Participant

Post by Davis Battah »

Last edited by Davis Battah on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davis Battah
Participant
Participant

Post by Davis Battah »

Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

Davis Battah wrote:Well........

Interestingly enough, it's been suggested to me by fishhawk that this post my have died immediately after my posting as the result of the members of the board "shunning" me in a group effort because of my Avatar.

Having joining this forum in February, apparently the same month these rules were established, the list of rules went un noticed by myself. My fault for not investigating the site and the rules governing it yes..... but shunning me because of my Avatar?! :shock: I now understand what Richard Collin was referring to when he changed the signature in his posts to say "To those that my avatar bothered, get a life!"

I simply was trying to share some tips and show a photo of a nice fish..... from my website counter, apparently people were interested in the photo as that single url page on my site received close to 100 hits from this site alone. Remember, I tried to post the picture in this forum first, and even fishhawk does not know why it isn't working.

If fishhawk is correct and this post died as a result of a mass group shunning effort....I'm amazed..... People, get over yourselves!!!!

Fishhawk and Bobber, my apologies for breaking the rules of your forum, it was not done intentionally and was simply out of my ignorance. However, participating in a forum that appears to be so "clique" is not very desirable to me.

This will likely be my last post here. Best of luck with your site and all of your future endeavors.

Regards,

Davis Battah
I ask the community to forgive me for suggesting to Davis that a possible reason the community was not in on this thread was because of his promotional avatar.

I have no idea why no one else posted to this thread. I was reacting in a petty manner towards an avatar and trying to make a point that the rules were developed with the consensus of the community.

The group of anglers that frequent Hawk Talk are by no means any kind of a clique that would shun a particular thread. In fact I imagine that most who read this thread are scratching their head and wondering "What the?"

I ask Davis to direct any further ill will towards me and not Hawk Talkers - they had nothing to do with this.

And Davis, thank-you for removing your avatar.
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
Rideaufish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Rideaufish »

I wouldnt worry about killing a post I do a good job killing them my self. I think I just wait too long to put in my 2 cents. Thats one nice pike hopein to get a few this july and at least 1 better be on my wifes line.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Davis, not sure that a comunity shunning was at work here???? :?: I personally contributed to this thread on the 19th and this is the first time I've returned to it.

I never even noticed your avatar and I always look forward to reading your posts. You have a lot of great knowledge to share and I look forward to reading more of your future posts.
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Pikers

Post by Jigs »

:D

One of my favourite fish:

I'd be checking out any weedlines early in the morning and in the evening.

Shouldn't be too deep just now; water is still pretty cool.

Look for little minnows jumping out of the water. Something is chasing them.

On a bluebird day, they, like anything else are hard to catch. If you have to fish in bright sun, work deeper in the weeds, but, there your getting into bass stufff at the wrong time of year.

Varying a retrieve works well. Nothing can outswim a pike, so slow, then go like hell...........then stop, let the lure fall..........hey you never know.

Just my .02

Regards: Jigs.
jazman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

nope

Post by jazman »

Missed the thread is all, certainly no ill will.

Nothing to get over I am afraid....