Ministry Of Natural Recource Visit

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
jazman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

hmm

Post by jazman »

Come on

Most offences are committed in suburban laneways.

I am frustrated, I am one of the ones who calls constantly for more enforcement which should not be confused with supporting rules which do not make much sense.
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

I would really like to make a call on your behalf....what about everyone else...One call won't make a difference but we have a lot of people here!!!
You know....they could be out looking for poachers and not bothering guys that do thier best to do everything they way it is supposed to be done!
Here is a question: If your not actually hunting or fishing at the time the MNR came to see you, how can they fine you...what if you had givin up any activity to do with that card...why would you change the addy on it in a case like that??? So what I am saying is if your not actually doing something that you needed the card for, what gives him the right to even ask you for your card let alone fine you for something like that. It sounds like you found a mad MNR guy...Fight it!!!
Now who do I call...can someone post!
Also give us more detail so we can call with respect to your case!!
Hoser
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hoser »

Fishchaser....I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but you will be fighting a losing battle. (been there, done that)....The CO is right, same rules as a drivers license. He could have been more lenient with a demand to prove you changed address within 48 hours, but for whatever reason chose not to. Ignorance of any law is not an acceptable defence in the eyes of the courts.
Muskiemagnet
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskiemagnet »

I have to agree with Bacon. What if you were to give up fishing and had only bought the card for a one weekend outing the previous year? I think the CO had no reason for asking for the card in the first place, if you were not taking part in an activity covered by the Fish & Game act. I think you have a solid case.
SteelHeaderOntario
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SteelHeaderOntario »

Hi Guys
The way this is going,you do have a chance.
When Did You Register the Hut?
When you registered it,Did you Register at New Addy?
If you Didn't register in 2003/04 How did they get your
New Addy?
When registering a Hut your Lisence is atoumaticly Updated
at that time thru the phone call.
As for showing your Lisence at Home,I don't think You had
to produce it,but then again,I think it falls under Laws where
when a Cop ask for I.D you have to produce.
Good Luck,Keep us Posted
fishchaser
Participant
Participant

MNR Visit

Post by fishchaser »

Boy oh Boy, this is getting to me. The way the whole thing started was that someone back in 2003 left an Icehut out on the Ice (not registered)
When I came along in 2004 and registered my Hut they had my new Addy.
For some reason the Hut left on the Ice in 2003 looked a lot like mine. So,
when they investigated they found me because I had registered the Hut .I guess they digged a little bit deeper and found that I was (according to the card ) living somewhere else.
fishchaser[/img]
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Fishchaser...
Sounds like some one phoned the MNR on you...and gave them a false lead.
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
grumpy7790
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Fine

Post by grumpy7790 »

Geez..... I figured these guys would be way to busy harassing people for targeting bass this time of year!!!

G
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

CO visit

Post by Jigs »

:(

Dang!! You got visited by the wrong CO.

Most of em woulda said, get it changed, this is a warning.

A dildo is a dildo, no question.

Regards: Jigs. :roll:
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

fight it!

Post by bobfly »

Just curious, was he wearing a gun? MNR has been going through a lot of funding cuts so I imagine they are instructed to get whatever they can from wherever they can. When they raided the Wildlife Center they were armed to the teeth to arrest a dozen baby raccoons and one skunk from the three female attendants that are usually there. Fortunately, they were sprayed by the skunk. They have invented a whole prevention program against racoon rabies just to support their department. Anyway, don't pay your fine but go to court. There is a good chance the MNR agent won't show up and you will get off.

bobfly :P
Tomcat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Outdoors Card

Post by Tomcat »

I noted that there is no info on my outdoor card alerting me to the fact that I have to submit a change of address within 10 days of the change. Consequently, I searched the MNR web site. I finally came across the following at http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/fishing/
What follows is the response to the 16th question under "How do I get a licence?"

What else should I know about my Outdoors Card?

Here are other important things to keep in mind:

* you must notify the Ministry of Natural Resources of any address or name change within 10 days of the change. You can do this by calling the Outdoors Card Centre at 1-800-387-7011 toll-free from anywhere in Canada or by visiting our internet site at: http://outdoorscard.mnr.stores.gov.on.ca ; or at more than 70 ServiceOntario kiosk locations.
* you must carry your Outdoors Card and fishing licence tag on your person whenever you are fishing. If a Conservation Officer asks to see your Outdoors Card, the law states you must show it.
* your Outdoors Card is not transferable to another person - it provides privileges to you alone.
* you may legally apply for one Outdoors Card only. It is an offence to attempt to obtain more than one card. It is also an offence to provide false information on a card application.
* if you have applied for an Outdoors Card and have not received it in the stated timeframe, call the Outdoors Card Centre at 1-800-387-7011

I think what annoys me more than anything is that the fine for this clerical oversight is less than most fines for poaching fish (about $100 per fish over limit or out of season).
old guy
Participant
Participant

Post by old guy »

I wish you the best of luck on this one. It sounds very petty and certainly poor use of an officers time. I can relate a little incident that happened many years ago with a run in with a conservation officer.
My son and I were fishing for rainbows opening day on the Pot. river in Owen Sound. An officer came out of the bush and claimed my son was snagging fish and issued him a ticket. I was right beside my son at all times and no snagging was going on. I talked with the officer but it was a waste of time. We returned home to Niagara and went back up to Owen Sound a few weeks later to fight it in court. The court appointed attorney said "you don't have a chance to win this, pay the fine and go home." Like a fool, I paid him no heed and we had our day in court. A JP {justice of the Peace} presided and he didn't even listen to us. Guilty as charged. Can you believe a $500 dollar fine. I was pi--ed to say the least. I appealled the charge. To shorten the story, the fine was reduced to $300 by the appeals judge.
I wish you luck but if you have a JP deal with the case I have my doubts. However as was stated in another response if the officer doesn't show up in court , the charge will be dismissed.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

The officer will be there.

I have quite a few friends that are RCMP. This sounds bad, but one of them actually encourages a person to fight the tickets they issue. They get the day off work to attend and full pay. They look forward to people fighting the tickets.

The officer will be there.
fishchaser
Participant
Participant

MNR Visit

Post by fishchaser »

As it was mentioned at a previous post by the Steelheaders of Ontario.
You can not register an Ice Hut without a valid Fishing License. So, when I called them in early January to register my Hut the Girl on the other side noticed the different addresses, the new one on the Hut and the one the Card was registered to. I've told her then that I just moved to the new address and I'll be living at the new Addy. At no time did she mentioned that I had to call again to change my address on the Card. You would think they work with a computer and therefore it would have been uptated
automaticly.
In any case, I want to thank everyone for their input,it gave me some comfort and I'm just like Markus, still shaking my Head over this. Can't wait now for Thursday when I get to see them.
fishchaser
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

Fishchaser I know how you feel.

A few years back I was duck hunting at Petrie Island, when the ducks kept veering off, I decided it was time to pick up the ones I shot. As soon as we moved out of our blind there was a CO. 7:30 AM opening day right in the middle of the weed bed ( great timing guys). He called us over and asked how many ducks we shot, then he asked too see them. I handed him 2 and said the others were in the weeds and we were just going to pick them up. He then asked me how long ago I shot them, I said 15 – 20 min. Well as I found out, you are not allow to shoot another duck till you retrieve the first, and since I shot 2 over 15 minutes ago he hit me with $250.00 each. Then he found one lead BB shell in my box with over 100 rounds of steal, another $250.00. I researched the laws and went to court, I told the judge I had been hunting all my life and never knew of the law about picking up the ducts instantly, as it turned out neither did he. He suspended the sentience on the 2 ducts but I had to pay the $250.00 for the lead. On a second issue I was detained for over an hour while hunting in early September in Shirlys bay. The police officer would not believe the Goose hunting had an early season.

P.S. They won, I no longer Hunt it too much trouble.