How do you catch minnows in the winter?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Doeun_k
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

How do you catch minnows in the winter?

Post by Doeun_k »

Hi
i was wondering if you can catch minnows in the winter?If so how?
Razor
Participant
Participant

Post by Razor »

Good question
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

only way to catch minnows in the winter is by waving money in front of a bait shop owners.
Bruin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

no no no

Post by Bruin »

We have caught minnows the usual way, All you do is make a hole big enough for your trap and drop it in. Then have a way to secire it topside. I use on ol broom handle cut back....WAIT....WAIT....WAIT then return to it....I usually drill a hole right beside the one I used for dropping it in then use a hatchet to chip the rope free...Pull her up and you are in business....We have a little pond near by that we regularly hit up...works good....a little bit of work but it sure saves you in the long run. To store them I took an old laundry tub and lined the outside with styrofoam and sealed the drain with PLP and caulking. The lid is 1/4 inch plywood with styrofoam on the bottom....store it in the garage. I am in minnows all winter without giving people tons of money and I can keep what I don't use for next go round
Suddsy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Suddsy »

Sounds like a real good approach Bruin 8) Myself, I am too lazy and besides it is always great to visit Lisa and Dan at Manotick bait. I get some minnows, great conversation and information on what is biting, where and on what and then I head out all motivated to catch a fish. :lol:

Suddsy
Doeun_k
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Doeun_k »

I guess ill catch them and store them in my old big aquarium i don't use any more.
Bruin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bruin »

That'll work just fine so long as it wont freeze....We usually drop 2-3 traps at once so we aren't doing it all the time, but the minnows are usually hungry and within a short period of time we are good to go