Anybody fishing the Gatineau River this summer?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Habsfan
Participant
Participant

Anybody fishing the Gatineau River this summer?

Post by Habsfan »

Hi Folks, Have had my usual inconsistent results fishing near the Chelsea Dam and above. The odd smallmouth, pike, walleye, and plenty of cats. Fish all seem healthy but not getting the results I would like. Any tips would be helpful.
tallpaul
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by tallpaul »

I haven't fished it, but I would think that this river would be heavily affected by the amount of rain we've had this summer.
Has it been better in recent years and you find you're struggling this year more?

cheers,
tallpaul
steve2112
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by steve2112 »

I fish there most of the summer and you are right it is inconsistant. We however 4 muskies this year.

Steve
Habsfan
Participant
Participant

Post by Habsfan »

Thanks for the answers. Grew up on that part of the river and have never cracked the secret other than catching catfish. Muskies in these parts (sturgeon too!) are spoken of in terms of legend. What part of the river? Caught a small one years ago.
barblessbob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by barblessbob »

have you tried trolling bottom bouncers with spinners???
i only fish there a few times a yr but have found the fishing as you say

we only catch small wallies during the day and larger ones at night
have boated 2 muskies, loads of pike
all small fish,

this area of the river has great structure but loads of fish, that might be a while still
there is little fishing press, more recreation from above then below

be careful there are prop monsters located here and there
and be extra careful after a storm, loads of gators

bob
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

I often fish the Gatineau River; usually around Farm Point. Half the time off shore on from the *west* side, the other half in a tinny up and down a 3 or 4 mile stretch on the *east* side.

Previous years, shore fishing with a Moss Mouse or CPrince Modified Boss Rat would yield 2 - 4 pike from 2 lbs to 5 lbs average (My biggie was a 13lb Muskie) and a bunch of Bucket Mouths ranging from 1 to 5 lbs averaging out around 2.5 lbs in a usual range of 7am (or so) to 3 pm.

This year: Crap-all! Total after at least 12 days fishing - around 4 or 5 bass (No bigger than 2lbs) and one 2lb Pike. On the plus side, I have pulled out a bunch of Walleye at dusk and just after sunset on twisters and plastic Storm minnows.

Previous years: Tinny Stomping on the *east* side; 4 - 6 pike from about 4 to 8 lbs and easily 10 Buckets and Smallies (species of bass depending on time of year).

This year after three trips, all from about 5am to 11am: Nothing... no ... wait... I caught a 2.5lb Smallie in late July.

The river blows this year... I hope the smallie bite makes up for the fecal summer!
The Ryannator
Participant
Participant

Post by The Ryannator »

I fish there every year I've caught 3 pike over 5 lbs this year. I caught one largemouth 4 lbs. And like 15+ 2lbs. smallies
bigpikemike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bigpikemike »

i only like it for sturgeon
The Ryannator
Participant
Participant

Post by The Ryannator »

Big mike pike what kind of setup do i need for sturgeon there and where are they found?
The Ryannator
Participant
Participant

Post by The Ryannator »

Bigpikemike what kind of setup do i need for sturgeon there and where are they found?
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

worms wiht a hook and a sinker at the bottom... key technique.... WAIT+ patients
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

I havent fish it in the past 2 years but did do some few 100.s outhing in that gatineau river in the past.

actualy all my young age fishing was done on that river...but higher just before maniwaki.

load and load off walleye caught there...and monster sturgeons.

we fish aprox 5k past bouchete thords st therese..

there 4 major spot in that sector.

are biggest sturegons caught.about 6 feet long,

walleye 12.3/4...(father).

great river........almost no pressur at all.

and tons off species in it frome musky to brown trout.

joco
|D4|
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by |D4| »

I just moved to gatineau this winter and loooking for some good fishing around here for spring/summer ( 30 min drive max any ideas?
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

|D4| wrote:I just moved to gatineau this winter and loooking for some good fishing around here for spring/summer ( 30 min drive max any ideas?
Mclaurin bay and Gatineau river are a good start. The Ottawa river launch at the marina in Aylmer... another good start.