Pike And Steel Leader Length And Five Of Diamonds Spoon

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Eagle
Participant
Participant

Pike And Steel Leader Length And Five Of Diamonds Spoon

Post by Eagle »

Did not want to high jack an earlier thread and I understand that this is a very basic question, but you cannot learn if you do not start with the basics.

Usually fish for smallies and when using a white spinnerbait Mr. Pike will get there first sometimes. Thinking of going for Pike a little this year. Would appreciate suggestions on steel leaders. Best length etc. Also, your favorite way to fish the Five Of Diamonds Spoon would help as well. Any other tips???

Thanks for your response and helping a novice Northern Pike fisherman out.

Eagle
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Pike and steel leaders, or not.

Post by Joey Rat »

I'm not an expert but I too notice that Mr. Pike and Mr. Bass like the same habitat. In fact often the only real difference is using a leader when targetting pike because they will hit almost anything.

I like fluorocarbon leaders. I have a few of premade in the 1 to 2 foot range but generally tie my own using 55lb test fluoro leader material. I tend to maybe start a little longer than I need to, about 2.5 to 3 ft but it allows me to retie the lure end throughout the day as i change up. I don't have a 5 diamonds but I do throw spinnerbaits, in line spinners (#5 Mepps and larger), a variety of spoons, larger crankbaits and topwaters. I actually tend to troll spoons. Another favourite is a berkley blade dancer and big bass like them too.

I wouldn't lighter than 50lbs on the leader or shorter than a foot. I just find that I end up throwing away a lot of kinked steel leaders.
KMAC
Participant
Participant

Post by KMAC »

Hey, Eagle. I agree with JRat. Flouro is the way to go if you're fishing for both species: won't spook the smallies and you're ready for the pike if he shows up. I too typically only troll with spoons and since you're targeting pike in this case, a steel leader is fine, 12 inches will do the trick. It's not so much the teeth you need to worry about, it's the gill plates when the pike roll; that's when you'll lose them with no leader. I'm also usually loaded up with heavy braid for the largemouth and it's a solid line for pike fishing. You also tend not to lose lures to snags with 30lb or 50lb braid on. KMAC
Keep your stick on the ice and don't be pullin' your goalie!
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

I was out using the 5 of diamonds yesterday ,,, outstanding action that
spoon has, i was using 10 inch steel black leader with it , but didn't have any luck
Eagle
Participant
Participant

Post by Eagle »

Thanks for the input. One more question, what is the best knot to tie a leader on with?

Wish me luck!!!!!!!

Eagle