Calabogie trout lakes

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

Hey guys,

I guess I'm going to have to try them lakes and avoid the streams untill they start running down stream a bit. And Cyress I knew where you were in that stream. Be carefull, there are some gun toten cowboys there and like to shot alot. I 'm going to venture out to one of the Lakes up there and hopefully I can grab one or two. (c&r) I'm going to have to try a different approach then just a worm and bobber!

Tight lines

Dave
Manny
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Manny »

About the streams, there is a saying here in Quebec that goes like this.

"A l'arrivé des pee pee, les truites de ruiseaux mord en titi"

Which basically means that once the dandilions (little yellow pest flowers) come out, then it's time to hit the streams. Although that saying is usually true also for bullheads, carp, shad and trolling for lake trout.

Although I don't fish enough streams, I have a buddy who works a Le Baron sports here who does nothing but fish streams for trout. He won't even go out until the flies get thick which is usually the middle of may.

Anyways, that is just my two cents,
Manny
Cyress
Participant
Participant

Post by Cyress »

Thanks for the creek advice and the not getting shot advice. I have no issues with hunting but that was alot of shells and they weren't 22's either. Big nasty rounds everywhere. To match the large mammal bones everywhere.

I figure I will head out this saturday or Sunday mid day in a belly boat to either shiner, scully or barry. I have never fished Scully. If any of you see a guy in a float tube with a bright orange Honda Element on shore feel free to give me a hollar and I will gladly kick my way over and share the my success stories or lack there of with you.
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

Cypress,

Ya I may see you there. I'mgoing to try a few lakes before the ones you mentioned but if the do not produce I will try. I'm in a red Ford ranger With leer cap. tight lines

Dave
Buzzer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

This weekend

Post by Buzzer »

I'll be out this weekend... probably hit Shiner and/or Scully around noon -1 pm rain or shine... I'll be with my daughter who's 9 years old. Maybe I'll see one of you there.

Buzzer
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

So How did everyone do this weekend? I hit Green lake and nothin. Tried a few streams and still nothing, and being pickrel opener next weekend I may not hit the creeks for a while. Let me know

Dave
mosquito
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mosquito »

Fished yesterday Quackenbush from 10 to 2 (one 12" rainbow)
and Shiner from 3 to 5:30 (two rainbows 12" and 16" ). I wish it
wasn't raining like that.
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

So did any one else have any success? or trying up there this weekend? and if so were?

Dave
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

Anyone going up this weekend, instead of trying for eye's??
fishhit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishhit »

I was at Mair Lake on Monday, May 3rd. The road was very rough, 4x4 only. Culverts out, sticking up etc. The weather was rough too. It snowed, it rained, the sun shone and the wind blew. The fishing blew too. At least for the first 4 hours. Then finally, a 20" rainbow. I nearly crapped, but it was too cold to take my shorts down. Female in 12 feet of water on a 1/8 oz. black jig with a Berkley biosalt 3" minnow. That and three small perch and ready to head home. All and all a satisfactory end to a long cold day.

Fishhit,
There's a reason they call it fishin' instead of catchin'!
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

Anyone with luck this weekend???
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

Well went and tryed my luck at Schiner, Scully and Green lakes but had no success. You could see small 1 pounders swimming at around 8ft with polorized lenses but could'ny get any hits. Not a thing at Scully and only Bass in green. Anyone fish the area lately ? I spoke to a local and he tells me that the MNR truck broke down right in front of Tooey lake and they had to stock it with all the adult brookies in the truck before they could tow it. so what do you say guys?
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Shiner

Post by bobfly »

Caught a nice 16" rainbow May 9th at Shiner on a fly but more interestingly I met a fisherman who fishes there every Sunday and claims he catches trout each time on a blown up worm from shore. He caught one that day too. I went back mid May but caught nothing. The lake is heavily fished and they are very wary. Also there are pike in there which probably should be removed.

tight lines,

bobfly
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

Bobfly. What was ther efirst the pike or rainbows? Did locals stock with pike or what? how has your luck been at Scully ?
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Scully

Post by bobfly »

I haven't gotten the stocking report for that area for some time. It is on my list of things to do but I was told that they have been stocking Shiner with rainbows for some years. I was told by that fellow who fishes Shiner all the time that some kids seeded the lake with a few pikes. And they are big! I have heard conflicting reports on how well or poor trout fair with pike. Surprisingly, I read a report that brown trout are extremely aggressive and will do quite well around pike and even lower the pike and bass in any given waters. I don't know about rainbows and brookies.

I have only fished Scully once and caught only some perch. Mosquito (the poster) has caught trout in Scully. Its quite a pretty lake and clear. Good access just past the creek.

bobfly