i need your expertise

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
petepaj
Participant
Participant

i need your expertise

Post by petepaj »

i've recently turned 40 and i am going through some lifestyle changes. i either have or am considering buying things i would have not a few years ago. ex. i have purchased a portable flip style ice fishing shack and aqua view camera( i even bought a winter jacket).

i have 2 questions for the minds in the know out there.
1- my aqua view does not have a light( just the led on camera which barely changes anything). is there a light which can be purchased to increase visability?
2- i am about to order a x67 ice machine. i am reading mixed reviews about it on this site. will i be happy with it?

please help this old school cowboy with the transition to middle age.
TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TLunge »

Hi Pete, if you look on the aqua-vu website there is an optional camera available for night viewing. It does not look like a fish though, it looks like a little spaceship or something and it is more than 200bucks if i remember correctly. I just picked up an aqua-vu scout SRT what a cool tool, although when it gets really dark I can only see a foot or so in front of the camera.
TLunge
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

Pete, you'll find many different opinions on flasher units. The only real bad thing I hear of the Lowrance unit is the screen freezing up in the bitter cold, that won't happen with a Marcum or Vexilar. Regardless of which unit you buy, it'll change your outlook on fishing and you won't want to be without one.

As far as lighting for your camera, I'd watch what you purchase as it's illegal to use a light source for fishing unless it's for smelting or the light's part of a lure. Might want to check on the regs for that one.

Tight lines
Don
Jackel
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jackel »

I have the x67c and works great. Some say the screen freezes but had mine out last year on the coldest day of the year and no problems at all. Just make sure it is on ice mode.

Also some say you can't see your jig but I have no problem.

I fish with 2 others and 1 has the Vex and the other the Marcum. Both love them, so I think it's just personal preference and the brand, that's all.

Jackel 8)
speyfly
Participant
Participant

i need your expertise

Post by speyfly »

I have the Lowrance M68C. Its the same unit as the X67c ice machine but it has GPS as well. I've had it out on the coldest days and never had a problem. I can see a 1" jig 40' down. I've used a vex and I prefer my Lowrance. You can view the manual at the lowrance website and even down load a simulator. I ordered my M68c from Reeds Sports in Michigan for $400.00. If your looking for a gps as well the M68c is good for morking spots and waypoints but the Canadian Maps are aweful.
petepaj
Participant
Participant

thanks for info

Post by petepaj »

thanks a lot guys. i will check out the 68. $400 sounds very reasonable and i have $300 in gift cards for a store here. i'll see if they can order it.
giveit2r
Participant
Participant

Post by giveit2r »

Don't bother spending any bucks on any sort of finder....it taked away from the whole ice-fishing experience....you'll end up just staring at a screen all day....its stupid.

Just get a sensitive rod and learn to fish!!!!