Pushing the season and outboards

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Nacho
Participant
Participant

Pushing the season and outboards

Post by Nacho »

Howdy folks,

I have a a question on what my hard stop (excuse the pun) on the boating season should be. My first year with a flotation suit and I'm still enjoying getting out.

How late can I push it, temperature-wise, before winterizing?

I assume the overnight lows are the overriding factor I'm worried about freezing the cooling loop or having some boot problems.

Facts:
Merc Classic fifty (if that matters).
My boat is stored in an unheated garage.
I often trailer the boat for an hour to get to my favourite spots.

Thanks,
J
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Hey Jeff,

My boat usually gets winterized over the Xmas holidays...unless I see a good 1st week of Jan forecast...I've never had any issues...

Just make sure you lower your motor all the way to the down position at the ramp once on the trailer to drain any water out...

RJ
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by 1lastcast »

Having just bought a brand new boat this year. I am trying to learn all the tricks to prolong the season.

I always lower the motor (outboard) at the launch to drain any water that is still inside of it. I have also pluged my live well at each the intake and drain. I have used enviro friendly ant freeze in each live well to prevent ice damage. I used a hose connected to a funnel and ran this to the intake side of the livewell at the transome. then I turn on the pump and let it fill the lines untill you see it start to drain out of the boat. Place a drain plug into each hole and your set. Of course now I dont have a livewell on board the boat. But This time of year I dont keep any fish.

Its also a good idea to use a gasline anti freeze. I try to keep all compartments open when the boat is on the trailer. water can freeze them closed.

Im sure there are more great tips to prolonging the fishing season.
Luke
Participant
Participant

Post by Luke »

Just a reminder for those trying to extend the season as much as possible, check your insurance to see what the lay up period is. I just found out that the boat is not insured on the water past Dec1 even though I thought I had paid extra for "late season coverage"
Fish'n'Allthetime
Participant
Participant

Post by Fish'n'Allthetime »

Wow, seems complicated, this fishing/boating thing?
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by 1lastcast »

it is risky boating into the late season. Freezing temps and boats dont go together well. good tip on the insurance. I really need to check into that
dh99
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dh99 »

My boat is insured as an add on to my house insurance to allow me extend my season.

most boat insurances policies that I looked at ended in Nov. and I try to fish until January if the weather permits.

Dh
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Me too my new boat is insured under my house policy and they said that it was insured year round .
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Guys: Check again with your insurance as here at the Cooperators we insure a boat all year not just for periods of time. You can not get a 5 months boat policy with us....Like Wally and others said it is extended from your home coverage and whatever liability you have on your home gets extended to your boat. Just like a motorcycle it is insured all year round.
Luke
Participant
Participant

Post by Luke »

My policy is for twelve months, but there is a layup clause that states the boat must be out of the water from Dec1 to March1. This was the shortest layup period that our broker could find for us. The broker has informed us that the layup policy could be waived if we supplied the company a written notice stating we would be using the boat during this time. Many other insurance companies the broker checked with did not offer this option, make sure to ask!!