How Far Would U Go For A HOT SPOT!!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

How Far Would U Go For A HOT SPOT!!!

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

We"ve all done Stupid things to get to that HOT SPOT you"v heard of!!

God only knows what i would do !!! (im nuts)

I got a couple of stories a wanna share about adventures iv had, to get the THE HOT SPOT!! Not only that im sure IM not the only one with these kind of stories so feel free to share, i love hearing them!

1-once my buddy told me ( when i was young there was this hot spot!)
so WITH OUT A DOUGHT! i told him LETS GO! Here the fun part!!! :shock:
We had to walk 15 minutes trough a farmers land in 8 feet of CUTTING grass(yes i was wearing shorts and a t-shirt).This land wasent the DRY type nether 1-2 inches of water all the way ... once we get there he shows me this OLD SWAMPY MARSH! but it was linked to the river somehow!!!Almost NO water FULL of WEED (FROG FOAM) Lets just say you coudnt fish a BIG-O-! :D THANK god i had spinner baits!! We ended up with About 20 Pike (me 12) (him 8) ''about'' 3-4 pounder range. One was about 10 LBS. DEFENETLY A HOT SPOT!!AMAZING ACTION ... They were bitting on the surface! every strike was SICK!!

Thats only one of the numerous stories i have BUT enough about me i wanna here YOURS!!!!!!!!! :D :D
Gravelguy4
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Gravelguy4 »

Shuffling 20 feet above the river against a rock cliff with my fly rod in my teeth on the livingston river in alberta to get to the next run. would've hurt like heck to slip but we were young and the fishing was spectacular.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

I alwasy gone to remember one time me and my father..in the verendry park.

that is about 20years ago.

he tell me there a lake that nobody go there and have to do some kind off poratge and go up a creek and so on.

so we go..do about 30min off boat then you get into that creek.... :x ..what a creek..tons off current but going down we are going up.... :shock: :? ..so we have to walk on the side and pull the rope etc etc..almost brakes legs on rocks etc.a hell off a walk about 2 hours to go up that creek.because there other access to that little lake.......better be a good laek i was thinking...because its hell to go up there.

after that time...we get to that lake..put the boat together and go we fish..we do about 1/2 mile on that lake go around that pointe....................................

:shock: .camping ground and boat launcht.......... :shock: :x :x :x :x :x

my father never nown there was a new camp ground and boat launch..

:roll:

so we did some hell to get to a suposy good spot.and by the way its was not good..... :? :lol: .

i dont care doing some walking and some 4 weelign to get to a hot spot....but everytime someone tellme its good.it never is... :? ..mabe they just want me to get out off my hot spot for them to go in mine... :lol: :lol:

joco
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D Too many spots to mention them all..dragging canoes through swamps with waders..hiking in through dense brush for 2 miles only to find a logging road that came within a hundred feet of the river. Always got fish..but I learned to do more research before heading out. :lol:
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Interesting topic.

I'd have to say it would be a trip with my father when I was about 14 years old. Every year he and his buddies would take off for a couple days into the bush to a place they called "Island Lake" on Cape Breton Island. There's a reason why they call it Island Lake. To get there, it was a 2 hour drive, then a 3 hour walk through the most dense bush you could ever imagine, swamps, hills, and over a couple of streams. You didn't wear hip wadders, cause you'd die in them, so you wore old jeans and sneakers. Didn't matter if they got wet....and they did....once you started, you were committed. We would stop every now and again and drop off water for the trip back (so we didn't have to carry it). I tell you, the horse flies in this part of the world were as big as humming birds.

Finally, exhaused we made it to the lake. Pristine waters and a renewed energy from the thought of casting out that fly and getting hit and hit of Rainbow trout made it all worth while. Dozens of pools, and each of them just loaded with fish. It must have been the highlight of my fly fishing experiences, and one of the highlights as a young boy fishing with his Dad.

I'll never forget it.

Last reports I've heard on this place...the loggers have moved in, cleared a road, takes 20 minutes to get in there, and the fish population has taken a beating. That's the sad part.

Nice topic bud.
Cheers,
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

Hey! Thanx bobber!!

The reason why this is a good topic is cause it brings ,you old folks, GOOD OLD MEMORIES!!! :lol:

im 22 yrs old and i feel like iv just started to fish but hearing these stories make me wanna fish more and go further out in the bush!!
We live in the perfect part of the world lakes everywere!! No one can stop '' THE FISHERMAN '''
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Gravelguy4 wrote:Shuffling 20 feet above the river against a rock cliff with my fly rod in my teeth on the livingston river in alberta to get to the next run. would've hurt like heck to slip but we were young and the fishing was spectacular.
I did the same thing on the Merced River in Yosemite Park, California in 2001.

I was on a 7-day hiking tour and we had a day off to relax, so I went fishing with a really nice couple from Kentucky. We were fishing the Merced River and we came to a small gorge through which the river flowed. I saw several nice rainbows rising but due to the topography, I couldn't get my fly to them.

So, I clutched the 4-wt in my teeth, scaled across several meters of cliff, and held on while casting to a school of rainbows. I caught my fish, scaled back across the cliff face, unhooked and released the fish.

My Kentuckian fishing buddies where astounded and recounted the tale over dinner back at the base camp. Our ranger/guide's face turned very serious and he looked me dead in the eye and said, "Please! Never do that again. The ledges on those cliff faces are favourite sunning sites for diamondback rattle snakes."

Kind of gives new meaning to the question, "Are they biting?"
titowoody
Participant
Participant

Post by titowoody »

We took a trip in late 80s to Lac LeGeoulf which is about 15 kms south of the Rupert River up in Northern Quebec. Hydro Quebec had built a dirt road to install the many towers required to bring the power south some years before. This road ran 160 kms due south, where it ran into the highway that goes up to Chibougamau just before Waswanipi River. My cousin called me up asking me about joining them for a trip to this Walleye honey hole.

The paved road drive was just time consuming from Rouyn (about 6 hrs) but it turned into an off road ralleye challenge once we hit the dirt. It took 10 hours to make it up the dirt road ie 16 kn/hr average speed.

A few wash outs had to be bridged and the road was extremely rough. We had left in the early AM from home and after a 1 hr boat ride we finally made our camping spot. It turned into a 17 hour ride..... just to go fishing. :D

Luckily the sun sets much later up around the 52 parallel and we managed to pitch the tents before it got dark. A few pops and lights out. Next morning couldn't come quick enough for me, the other two guys had already been to Lac LeGeoulf and they knew what to expect.

The rest of the trip was a fish catching blast. You couldn't cast out a jig and grub combo and not catch a fish. Lots of big Northerns along with one Brook Trout just shy of 24" as an added bonus. 8)

The last morning we heard the familiar rumble of a Twin Otter. A group of Americans who chartered out of Matagami where quite surprised to see us up there. Even more when we told them we drove up at a fraction of the cost (but not time).

Time flies but the memories are still quite alive.

Cheers

TW
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Me thinks that just by a small margin, the Fly guy's own the furthest to go to. Not puttin anyone else un-desreving, but I (Not a fly guy) but a Float fisherman, I have had the wife on a 5 minute notice, and we headed to Thunder Bay way just for 1 day's worth of fishin :lol:

I've walked over 30km in one day on a river up north and seen NADDA for fish wise, but the scenery and memory was worth every cent I put in gas, and all the blisters on my feet at the end of the day :D

F.F
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Busted some outboard skeg and busted through some muskeg to get to fish. Walk it, boat it, paddle it, float it.

First summer I got the float tube of my own in Attawapiskat my put in on the river from town was a 6-8 km from home. Used to walk to it about twice a week. Nowadays slowed down some.

Biggest thing in my mind to stand out though was travelling to a spot about 25km upriver from the mouth of the Ekwan River at James Bay. Water levels were low and my bro-in-law Joe and I worked our butts off for a day and half to get there. A fully loaded 24 freighter canoe had to be waded, pulled, lined, and poled about 40 times up through shallows and small rapids. The reward was 13 hours of fishing in a backbay that produced about 160 pike. On the way home we were met by a lower high tide on the James Bay and, northeast winds gusting to 70km blowing up the ocean pretty good. We had to wade that canoe about 1.5 miles while the winds pushed the boat hard into sandbars trying to beach us. It was about +6C. When finally out on the Bay we stayed protected from the biggest waves by staying behind a long shoal that runs of Akimiski Island, but, they were still waves of 5 feet with a number of 6-7 foot rogues that came at are canoe from 7 to 10 o'clock. It was 15-20km across the Bay. The whole trip was full of the kind of work that you rarely if ever do, and, the conditions were at times harder than anything you'd just casually go fishing in.
Ron Reyns
Participant
Participant

Post by Ron Reyns »

Does fishing Lake Nipigon for the weekend count?

We left on a Thursday night after work, got there at 7 Friday morning. Fished until 7 oclock that night, set up the tent, back at it Saturday morning and fished until 6:30 that night. Packed up our gear and on the road again to do the 14 hour drive home to be back for Sunday night.

The efforts were worth it though.....

Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

WHOA man those are some NICE trouts!!!

they look picture perfect man !!!

the first one with the litle sparkle on his head ... you could win stuff with that picture !!! GJ!!! :o