Clam 2000 becoming the Clam 2008

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Clam 2000 becoming the Clam 2008

Post by katch moore »

I just purchased a Clam corp "clam 2000". I cannot beleive how much room their is in that ice shack. it's even pretty cool how dark it is when you close the windows and doors.

So now that i have about 1 month and 2 weeks (hopefully) i have time to fix it up. I mean Customize it!!!

First thing is add a sub-floor. i know that the clam 2000 comes with its own floor. but with those groves on the floor i'm a little worried that i might crack it with my chair.

So i cut out a template with card-board to spec. And now going up to Builders Wharehouse and picking up a quarter inch styrofoam (as insulation) and then getting a quarter inch thick plywood (water proof) and getting some out-door carpet on top of that. so the floor will be about 1/2 inch thicker than before but now everything is level. and maybe a little bit toastier. (will be permanently attached to the floor with silicone adhesive)

Has anybody else who owns a portable ice shack done certain mods to their shack. One thing is those neon tube lights. I think Gettingjiggywithit has something similar in his shack.

here are a couple pics and as soon as i'm done i'll post the final pic.

joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

customize is sometime great sometime not so great.

''''''''''''''''''''''before you glue anything in the botom.'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''.try to close it down wit the extra in it..because it might not close anymore.. :shock: :? ..sometime those thing a close fit.

personaly i would not glue or do anything permantly on a portable clam...this is why there call portable...

in that kind off trap i would get the rubber mat they put in the tools box..(you no the stuff they put for your tools that wont slide).tha rubber is rubber is great..nothing will slip and its good for noise...that plastic wen cold could be a bit more noisy wit the rubber it help.

and its sheap.a full bottom would cost you 6$ at princess auto...that is what it cost me 3 weeks ago for a big piece..

pice off foam is a good ideal,,for insulation and a pice off plywood to...and put a rubber math over that...

nice to see some ice fishing tread... :P

joco :wink:
SteveO
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SteveO »

I'd be worried about weight...43lbs is a big advantage of the clam2000.

I'd love to here what you rig up for lighting.

Where did you get the small folding chair?
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by katch moore »

hey steve-O yeah i got that chaire from coors light. i won 3 chairs, a table, free beer, and a bag couple years back. they are perfect fishing, camping chairs.

as for weight and proper closer of the clam, well the 1/4 inch plywood and 1/4 inch stryrofoam wont weight much. maybe 2 pounds extra alltogether. so weight wont be an issue. altogether i'm adding an extra 1/2 inch to the floor.

the lights i've seen in some huts are the neon plastic tube light. i think you can get them at canadian tire. well as soon as the project it done i'll post pictures.

yeah i know what you mean joco about the rubber mats. but i checked out clearance and she fits.

matt
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

Hey Matt nice looking shack bud :)
The tube light is a clam corp product and runs off the vexilar battery. Ive used it alot and it barely puts a dent in the vex's battery life! I think you could run two lights easily off one vex! As far as the floor the clam stuff is good quality and I seriously doubt it will give you any issues at all! Id run it as is and make changes later. Whatever you decide to use as a floor, just make sure that it wont hold water and turn into a solid chunk of ice! One thing thats missing is rod holders :wink: I highly recommend a buddy heater or better yet a big buddy! Princess auto has them on special right now!
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by katch moore »

yeah the buddy heater eh?? hum... i'm still looking for something small and easily portable. so how's the bite in kingston??
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Glad you like the shack Katch Moore :D As for a heater I would not look past the Mr.Heater line of portable propane heaters. Warm and safe, the portable buddy is an awesome little heater for the Clam2000..we bought two different models of Coleman heaters before opting with Mr.Heater. I'm sure there are many others that agree :wink:

As for the mods to your unit....I would think twice before adding anything to it :wink:

-Andrew
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

I bought the buddy last year to replace my coleman and it is way better! The coleman put out like 3000btu and the buddy(by Mr.Heater) puts out 9000btu. The big buddy is almost the same as the buddy but it has 2 burners, 2 tanks, and a battery operated fan not to mention it puts out 18000 btu!
Jackel
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jackel »

The Mr Heater is perfect. We had connected my 5600 and a Yukon and we only needed the one heater.

They are great.

Al. 8)
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by katch moore »

so where abouts in ottawa can i get a Mr.Buddy heater for a good price. uhm like under 60$? or are they going for more then that.

matt