Ice Fishing Hole Size

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
NavanFisher
Participant
Participant

Ice Fishing Hole Size

Post by NavanFisher »

Hi,

Was just wondering if there was a law in Ontario on the size of hole you are allowed to make while ice fishing. A buddy of mine who lives in Quebec said they have such a law ?

Thanks
Tom
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

There's no law that I'm aware of in Ontario but common sense should prevail. There's not really any need to go beyond 9" for any species swimming in Ontario. 4.5" is all you really need for pannies, you can get by with 6-8" for 'eyes, pike and lakers. You also have to remember that leaving a 8"+ hole unmarked after you leave the ice can be a great hazard to children and even adults. I remember when our very own SLOP put his leg into one when leaving the ice on the Ottawa a couple years back. He only got a mean soaker but it could have been much worse :lol: :lol: :lol:

D.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

there is NO LAW for the ice off ice fishing holes...

NOT on the quesbec side...me to heard those storys.....but there not true.

you make the hole you want 12 inch by inch wit a chain saw if you want.

but.ITS A LOT BETTER for all.to keep it SAFE.....10inch and smaller.

joco.
NavanFisher
Participant
Participant

Ice fishing hole size

Post by NavanFisher »

Sounds good, I am shopping around for an 8 or 9 " gas auger so I should be legal and safe with that.

Thansk for the input,

Tom
hawg hunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hawg hunter »

everybody is right i own a new jiffy 10",but a jiffy 8' is the best all round auger you can get,ive guided the bay of quinte for 20 years and have never worn one out yet,and believe me i drill over a 1000 holes a winter,best motor on the market bar none.
like the other fellas said mark your hole when ya go ive seen alot of broken and sprained ankles out there.
taker easy and good hunting

Hawg Hunter
hawg hunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hawg hunter »

bump

Hawg Hunter
Kingmann
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Kingmann »

I can attest to the fact that kids can in fact get there feet caught in old holes. My oldest and I were at Crappie Bay a couple of years ago, I believe I was watching Bucketmouth catch bluegill, he was showing me how the Vexilar worked when my son was trying to get my attention from behind me. I told him to hold on, because I wanted to learn how this thing worked. He continued 'dad dad'. I turned around and he seemed to be kneeling on the ice. I said just one sec bud, I'm trying to watch, when he said 'ya but my foot is getting pretty cold'. Needless to say we left quite promptly. I was thankful no one had used a chainsaw for some winter trolling.

JasonM
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

bucketmouth wrote: I remember when our very own SLOP put his leg into one when leaving the ice on the Ottawa a couple years back. He only got a mean soaker but it could have been much worse :lol: :lol: :lol:

D.
Oh Don! I started with a chuckle that turned into a smile and then a good laugh remembering Slop that day. But, I had to stop myself from laughing because that could be me someday. It's a good thing he's so nimble :lol: or he really could have hurt a knee or broke a bone that day.

Stay with an 8" hole and it will handle most of the fish you seek!

Thanks for the memory Don! Can't believe we're talking ice fishing already! Where did Summer go!? :(

ratsotail
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Shirleys bay

2 years ago,,,,,bunch of guys cut 8 ft x 8ft square beside their hut and lined the edges with lawnchairs while casting to the other side.

All I could think about was some poor sucker losing his car or truck or worse in that hole.

Beer cans all over ...pretty pathetic if you ask me.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi

8 feet by 8 feet,,,,,, :shock:

OK.at that sise......this is way out off secure.

if something would had happen.i hope they would have been charge off someting..like..negligence or something...but its better that did not happen.

there alwasy some smart butt like that one ice somehwre.... :?

i did saw some divers (diving under ice)do some big hole with chain saw like 6 feet by 6 feet...BUT they replace the block off ice in the hole after and secure the hole wit flag for safety after..

joco.