First Eyes of 2007

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Brit
Participant
Participant

First Eyes of 2007

Post by Brit »

Hit a local river with the wife at a spot which has been fruitful in the past,couple of evenings ago.

Arrived late afternoon and handed the better half her rod while I decided what technique I will be fishing...first cast she makes latches on to a nice pike of between 5-6lb range.

So I land that for her and bait up her yellow jig head with another minnow and return to my business of tackling up....but bam she is into yet another fish right on her next cast..yet another pike I thought.But then see this golden bar come up from the depths...this time a nice walleye of around 3lbs.

By this time I am getting concerned that I was not going to get to fish,but the wife was kind enough not to catch anything for a few casts,so I was able to get my bait into the water.

Throughout the evening we continued to catch loads of small pike.

Then it was my turn for some decent action.My yellow jig and minnow was suddenly snapped up by something which decided not to come up from the depths and gave a really nice fight on the light rod I was using.
A big smile on my face appeared when I saw yet another walleye coming up and I realised that it was a real beauty for the area we were fishing.

After rooting around for my scales,stuck the beast on them and the neddle registered right at the 6lb mark.

Heres a pic-sorry about the crap quality,I think the wife was having a smoke at the time she took it!

Having caught my first walleye of 2007 I was over the moon that it was such a nice fish.

Carried on fishing until dusk and managed to continue catching lots more pike and even caught yet another walleye of about 2lb.

Didnt want to go home by then but decided that we had to..just to check that our teenagers had'nt burnt the house down!!

Will be hitting that same spot very soon!!
CrappieKeith
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CrappieKeith »

Great report!
Nice eye your holding.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Awesome report!!......Nice walleye bud!! :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

Whoa! that's a nice walleye!
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

Nice eye! Thanks for sharing the report :wink:
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

Great report !!!!
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Nice golden shine on that eye!!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

That's a real quality eye for our local waters there Mate... :wink:
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

Beauty eye Brit! :!:

Don't be too hard on the pic. The cig smoke kinda gives it that horror film feel of..."do you really want to go walking in the woods at night?"

Yanno what I mean eh? Kinda like in the original Star Trek on away missions...the one guy you never recognized? Not only did he realize, but we ALL knew, he was going to die. :lol:

:wink:
Brit
Participant
Participant

Post by Brit »

I would have said she was 'having a fag'-which would have been OK back in UK.....but over here I knew it would have been politically incorrect :!: :lol:
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

Great way to start the season off. Congrats.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Superb walleye you boated Brit :shock: I hope to get into a few of those this weekend...Just need to hook up the fishfinders to find that crucial break.

It was great to meet you on the ice last winter. Good luck this season and all the best...

-Andrew