Power Pro to reel

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Stubble Jumper
Participant
Participant

Power Pro to reel

Post by Stubble Jumper »

Asking for your expert opinions:

I have used Power Pro line for the last four years and when I first started using it I would tie it directly to the reel. I read that you should tie on some monofilament to the reel and then link your Power Pro to the mono. I know that this is suppose to prevent the line from slipping on the reel. Last year I tied the mono on first but must admit that I never notice any significant difference. I'm putting new line on my reels and would appreciate your opinion before I put the new line on. Thanks in advance for your replies.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

on a baitcasting or spinning reel. Baitcaster you can put mono on then PP a spinning reel just put on 5-6 turns of power pro and then I put on some rubbertape to stop it from spinnig and then reel in the rest of PP.
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

When I put Power Pro/Fireline on a reel, I fill the first half of the spool with with old'ish mono and add the Power Pro/Fireline on top of that. Double the spools for the same $.
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Power pro

Post by Joey Rat »

Okay, now that I know how to spool it, next time :oops:, is anyone using the new red power pro.

I know it's early but anyone have any opinions yet.
Crunchy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Crunchy »

The new "phantom red" power pro....I have the 20lb on my spinning outfit. Landed alot of fish already. To go back to your first question....my spool is about 3/4 the way done up with something mono (it was already on the reel when I bought it), the last 1/4 is powerpro.

I retie a new 5 foot fluoro leader each time I go out. That way if I get hooked in bottom I break the leader instead of my friggn expensive powerpro. Also makes hook changes a bit easier. I like how the line sings to me, that sound it makes when you get a big fish on and you are pulling the line through you ealets in your rod. I also like the near zero stretch.

I find in windy days the line creates alot more resistance in the wind than normal mono. Makes things a bit more challenging especially when trying to flip a tube properly, but I made do.

Also, I finally found a pair fo scissors that cut powerpro easily on the first cut. These ACME titanium coated space age 3X stronger than steel, will even do your dishes scissors from staples. Curious what you guys use to cut PP?
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Crunchy i had done that on my spinning reel but i found that when i casted that the outgoing line would sometime catch on the knot and stop dead in it's tracks. What knot do you use to tie mono to the PP??

Fishkars scissors from WalllyMart
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

Good answers guys. WB, I personally use a mono to mono knot for connecting the PP to the mono line. It's a solid reliable knot...but a pain in the butt to tie..for me at least. :oops: :lol:
mdej
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mdej »

When I tie on the floro leaders I use the Uni knot. Seems to work well. On my spinning gear I find that the eyelets are not an issue (they are larger then casting rods). So basically the know does not get stuck.
However I only use like a 3' section of floro and try not to reel past the knot.

On my casting setup I use a small swivel and tie the floro to that using a uni knot. I can't reel past the swivel but I find the leader length to be manageble when casting and storing.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

With my spinning reel the problem is that the powerpro catches on the knot as it's coming off the spool. Not because the knot is catching on the guides.

I usually use a uni to uni knot to tie the 2 lines.
Crunchy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Crunchy »

I use the uni-uni knot, described in the book that comes with the powerpro.

It is easier to tie if you do one knot, pull it snug (but not overly tight), do the other knot, and then moisten and pull tight. I find that I need to do about extra turns to keep it secure (book says 4-5 mono side, 7-8 braid side - I use 8 each). I am tying my 20lb (6lb diameter) Powerpro to 8lb vanish.

I use as much leader as I can, but when I cast, my knot is not on the reel, its near the first eyelet, and it sails through. So my rod is 6'6", so I say my leader is roughly 5feet. Plus when I cast, my jig is also hanging a foot or two from my rod tip.

I would prefer a shorter leader, but I use it for ease of changing lures as well, and with only a 1 foot leader, I will have to retie a new leader after an hour if a change a few times. I also retie my leader every trip.

I found with the regular mono-mono knot, it slips too much, especially on my new powerpro.
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Power Pro reel to reel to reel

Post by Joey Rat »

This may seem like a lot of work but with all this talk, I'm thinking about unspooling the power pro from my baitcaster and adding some mono on to the start of it.

The spool is only about 1/2 full and it's new so I don't want to have it end up in a big tangle and have to throw it away.

I'm thinking about using an old spinning reel to take the line off the baitcaster, tying on some mono, doing the uni knot thing and then opening the bail and reeling the power pro back onto the baitcaster.

Am I doing horrible things to my power pro or should this work fairly smoothly.

Whadda ya think?
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

Joey..adding some mono to the beggining of the reel will stop the usual slipping PP and braided lines seem to do.

Instead of a whole reel of PP, I'm going to respool 3/4 of mono and 1/4 braided line, just cause I'm a tightwad and will try to stretch the PP out longer due to cost.

If in doubt, try respooling with the braid from the getgo. You'll quickly see what I mean.
Rob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rob »

Surprised that no one has mentioned a small piece of 2 way tape. No need for mono. and it never slips :wink: . Also make life easy when reversing the line. I've been using 2 way tape since PP came out and have never had an issue with it at all. Now if your spooling up a large trolling reel, then I'd use the mono backing.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I use rubber tape (no sticky residue) on my spinning reel now. Got tired of that knot. baitcasting I still use about 10 yards of mono for the slippage.
Stubble Jumper
Participant
Participant

Power Pro to reel

Post by Stubble Jumper »

Thank you to all for your great replies. They have been very knowledgeable and a great help. Thank you again.