Baitcaster's Pro's & Cons

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
mdej
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mdej »

I really enjoy my baitcaster, however I would not say that it replaces my spinning gear.

I use the baitcaster as a medium heavy setup. Larger line an used for casting larger baits and working rough areas or when fishing for pike. For the heavier setup I really like the baitcaster.
I too in the past has issues trying to run a really light light on my Curado, went to a 10# braid and the issue went away. Seems the lighter line dig into the spool to far and harder to get the knots out.

Now for my medium to light fishing I use a spinning reel. Jigging walleyes or panfish or working smaller tubes or plactics this setup works well for me.

I will someday soon I hope try a Diawa SOL? the light to medium one that diawa reconnmends for lighter duty fishing, maybe that setup with 6# braid or mono will work good for light fishing, until then spinning reel it is.
GetTheNet!!!
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by GetTheNet!!! »

Hey Mdej,

The sol sure is a flashy attractive reel, but I've thrown one quite a bit and I wasn't overly impressed, I've found a quantum accurist or the old curado 100 would do just as well with light line. If you want a baitcaster that really handles light line well give a look to the chronarch Mg 50. Amazing little reel.

Best fishes,

Matt
mdej
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mdej »

GetTheNet!!! wrote:Hey Mdej,

The sol sure is a flashy attractive reel, but I've thrown one quite a bit and I wasn't overly impressed, I've found a quantum accurist or the old curado 100 would do just as well with light line. If you want a baitcaster that really handles light line well give a look to the chronarch Mg 50. Amazing little reel.

Best fishes,

Matt
Thats funny I just too a look at Diawa's site and it does list line ratings for 10# & 12#. Guess they mean action of L-ML with overkill line size. I'm sure it has to do with the line breakage and birdsnests.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

the biggest advantage of a spinning reel over a baitcasting reel is the ability to put your finger on the line and feel for light taps on the drop.

yes, you can do this with a baitcaster, but the simplicity of a spinning reel for this purpose really makes it advantageous.

i always use spinning reels when senko, tube, or worm fishing.
YakAttack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by YakAttack »

Just a mention of how birdsnests happen: they happen when the spool spins when the line doesn't move.

So, when you cast, you need to stop the spool with your thumb before the lure hits the water. If you didn't stop the spool, it would keep spinning, but the line is not keeping up so it just gets all loose (potentially crazily so) around the spool.

Bait too light: the initial movement of the bait and casting action causes the spool to spin, but the bait doesn't have enough inertia to move as fast/far to keep up with the spool.

Casting into the wind: kinda like bait too light -- the wind is what slows up the bait -- but the wind doesn't affect the spool so it keeps on spinning.

With my limited use so far, I have only had to deal with minor birds nests (knock wood) which are remedied by simply peeling off the loose line and reeling it back on.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Scott: You missed one reason.....The guy casting sucks with them...As in me...Tried one for about ten minutes and threw it in the drink on the way back to shore...Dont worry it was a free one from a buddy. Hope the fish can use it better than me :oops:
Wader75
Participant
Participant

Post by Wader75 »

During the course of the fishing season I use both spinning reels and bait casters (BC). For me, it all depends on the situation and the species being targeted. If I’m after trout, walleye or carp I use a spinning reel. For bass, pike and muskie, I tend to go with the BC. Also, if I’m fishing water that has pike or muskie, even if I ‘m not targeting them, I’ll tend to go with the BC.

I run 12lb mono on my BC and have not had too many problems with bird’s nests. But they do occasionally happen, especially if fishing from shore and during your cast your lure catches an overhanging branch. Yikes!

Anyway, I have found my BC to be extremely versatile. Once you get familiar with it, you will be able to cast lighter lures with little difficulty and the BC excels and tossing around heavier lures.

Good luck in your search for a BC.
YakAttack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by YakAttack »

almontefisher wrote:Scott: You missed one reason.....The guy casting sucks with them...As in me...Tried one for about ten minutes and threw it in the drink on the way back to shore...Dont worry it was a free one from a buddy. Hope the fish can use it better than me :oops:
At the very least you created some structure. :wink:
garzleflop
Participant
Participant

Post by garzleflop »

Hi

I'm in the same boat, looking for my first baitcaster. I've been doing quite a bit of research and have a pretty good idea of what I want but I'm having trouble finding a rod/reel combo that fits the bill. The problem is I want a left had reel and a 2-piece rod and that's not very popular in combos. I'm trying to stick with combos because they seem to save you quite a bit of money.

The only place I've found with a big selection of combos that I like is Cabela's. A few nice combos for $100-$140 US. The problem is I can't try them out before buying.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

scott from the shoreline mentioned casting into wind (don't do it).

Sounds like simple advice, but being a newbie to baitcasters, it's amazing how many times I forget this when I'm casting repetitiously for tiger muskies. You know right away when you've done a no-no. :lol:

The one thing I don't like about baitcasters from a lady's standpoint, is that the combo's are significantly heavier and I get some real hand and wrist fatigue. I notice my hookset is slower because of the weight. Got to get pumped up by sticking with it! I guess my forearms are going to get man-muscle. :shock: :lol:

I'm going to keep using my baitcaster when fishing for muskies or in bigger pike waters.

But for my bass and walleye fishing, I'll be using spinning gear.

W.
David Chong
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by David Chong »

Fishing equipment has become very specialized these days! I probably over a season use equal amounts of spinning & bait-casting equipment! Bait-caster primarily for heavier lbs. test lines and lures! The secret in learning to use a baitcaster is setting up the reel properly a good tackle store like Baitcasters, Paddletales & Bennett's can definitely help you with that.
As for the Daiwa Sol, it is best suited for crankbaiting with 10/12 lbs. test mono, at least that's my use for it! Daiwa has some pretty decent reels in Procaster line-up that are very reasonable for the first-timer!
Good luck!
Dave
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jebby »

was in the same boat last year. go to bass pro they did great for me i ended up with a browning combo (great price great name great setup) i never seem to use my wpinning gear (cept ultra light) its great casts better farther and holds more heavy line. yes you will get backlash at 1st (breaking can help this but kills ur castin distance) i turned mine off and cassted a nut and bolt int the back yard after 10 min i could do it after 10 days i could do it good after 10 weeks i can do it at night after 10 months i can do it at night well slapping those damn bugs and now im looking for another.... love it... i recomend browning becuase there a quallity name and my reel is super smooth and has always been great (has to fit ur hand and its a perfect fit in mine) there also new into fishing so proces are still low.... also use braided line cuz its easier and because its braided line (mono is no match) only thing that is hard to get used to is light cranks in the wind (that was fun lol)

good luck
garzleflop
Participant
Participant

Post by garzleflop »

What are the pros and cons of magnetic vs. centrifugal cast control systems?

How about combination centrifugal and magnetic systems like Daiwa's Magforce Z?
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jebby »

frankly i turned mine off because with a lil practice u wont need them (however both work ok i have a hybrid)

my setyp is Browning® Fishing Citori® Baitcast Rod and Reel Combos
from bass pro ABSOLUTELTLY LOVE IT

heres the link http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 00_100-3-1

i went medium heavy and its great (not 2 piece though but i mannage)

its only 140 bucks so its a great value (price is in US $ but since im luckey enought to be only 45 min from the detroit bass pro i went and got it my self and played with it (tax over there is only 6 % so it wasent bad at all (also got some 2 stroke oil for 75% off cuz the jug was banged up :) ) good luck
garzleflop
Participant
Participant

Post by garzleflop »

Thanks a lot Jebby. That looks like a great combo. :D

Two priorities for me are left-hand retrieve and 2-piece rod so I've been looking at three combos at Cabela's.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... t=Readonly

Some are mag and some are hybrid and I wasn't sure if it would make much of a difference. I guess it won't matter too much once I get some practice in.

I looked at BassPro as well but they don't offer very many combos with 2-piece rods. I need mine to fit in the trunk. I also looked at LeBaron but they don't have many left-handed reels in my price range.

Anyway, I've learned alot about baitcasters over the last couple of weeks. Now, I think I'm going to wait and see what I find at the Carp show next month.

Thanks again.