Brewer Park

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Bondo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Brewer Park

Post by Bondo »

Has anyone tried Brewer park near Carleton University for hardwater panfish or would anyone know if the Rideau ice gets thick enough there.
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

I definitely would stay away from that ice. The current there is strong year-round.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

What Wolfman said. :wink: :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Jair
Participant
Participant

Post by Jair »

Checked the ice in the backbay near the lilly pond last year....very scary ice. Water was swirling like a toilet bowl in the hole....so I got the hell outa there!
Bondo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bondo »

Thanks boys, thats good enough for me. Ice fishing is no longer a leisure activity when there is a danger factor involved. Then it becomes a sport and that is not my bag. I will stay clear.
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

I actually heard that the entire rideau river is very sketchy during hardwater season. Something about it dropping a few feet after it freezes over, causing large pockets of suspended ice to form. Scary.

Makes me think twice about going back to fish under the long island dam...don't know if it will stop me altogether though :?
Bondo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bondo »

:x Crap, dont tell me that, I'm heading out near Kars this afternoon with a buddy. He tells me there are 5 huts up in front of his house. I"ll drill some test holes on the way out.
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

Well, it's just what I heard. Don't know how true it actually is...
I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially if you see people on the ice already...
Bondo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bondo »

Dont know why that spot has escaped Fish-Hawk. There must have been 30 guys out there and about 10 huts. Unfortunately there were about 75 snowmobiles out there doing a radar run. They have a straight stretch of ice down the middle and they are running full out. Had to make a mad dash to get across without getting hit. Anyhow, didn't catch anything but apparently they are getting the odd walleye there but it is very slow action.
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

It's amazing isn't it Bondo? Whether hard or softwater, you have to watch out for speed demons with more need to be complete knobs than brains.

Always amazes me watching these idiots try to break the sound barrier, with a complete lack of respect for the well being of others, for their own amusement.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm all for a good time and hell, go for it if you want to break a land or water record....but for Gods' sake do it at your OWN risk, not that of others. In that way, when you get the record and perhaps wrap yourself around a tree in the process, you can smile on the ride in the ambulance knowing no one else was hurt.

I humbly write this as a canoe fisherman of many years suffering from being buzzed by watercraft, large and small and get this....as close as a few feet away. :roll: :x
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

Must be something in the Rideau water! Since the idiots in the summer do the same thing in their boats.
Bondo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bondo »

I failed to mention that the top speed recorded on Sunday was 160 mph, thats right, I said MILES PER HOUR. Crazy
muskymike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by muskymike »

Bondo wrote:I failed to mention that the top speed recorded on Sunday was 160 mph, thats right, I said MILES PER HOUR. Crazy

WOW BUT SPEED DOESNT KILL ITS THE SUDDEN STOP :oops: