not too cool

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
esoxseeker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

not too cool

Post by esoxseeker »

was watching a very respected fishing pro out muskie fishing on Lake St.Clair and instead of proper release of the fish, waiting for it to get its strength back, they torpedoed them back in the water. just disgusted me. i am far from being a pro and even i know better than that.
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

Unfortunately that seems to be the norm for guides on LSC. :?
esoxseeker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by esoxseeker »

are they more about quantity than quality? that sucks!
GetTheNet!!!
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by GetTheNet!!! »

That's rough. I'm in a boycotting kinda mood, does this pro have initials?
esoxseeker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by esoxseeker »

B.I
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

I've only caught one so I still consider myself a muskie virgin and yes I do know better and always let the fish "come to" before release, regardless of species.

The fact is...WE ALL KNOW THAT, anyone that isn't seriously, (and I mean this in the most respectfull of ways), mentally defecient, knows that simple basic thing.

I don't know if the body of water has anything to do with it but it certainly has a great deal to do with a disgustingly obvious disrespect for our fisheries and the lack of the basic, simplistic, consideration a small child might show.

Really, I mean it, it gives me a mental picture of kids at the riverbank, chucking fish, or putting firecrackers in frogs' mouths.

A respected fisherman was he?! This ranks up there in the "Poor Pathetic Treatment of Muskies...and You Won't Beleive This Files," along with the
latest one posted somewhere here about our great buddy...ummmm Chronzy? Stating on his show muskie were good to eat.

Can someone pls be honest with me and let me know if it's infact my high octane meds here or if this is reality?
GetTheNet!!!
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by GetTheNet!!! »

Well...I'll be watching this...'Bradley Iverson's'...show for future release issues. That is brutal though, he's usually pretty conservation oriented, I'm surprised.
esoxseeker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by esoxseeker »

he's out there in the public eye, he has power to say look, this is how its done properly, these are very fragile and need to be handled and released properly. Instead, he chose not to and by that disrespected everyone who wants to help conserve an already fragile fishery.
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

Just another thought on this. Now I didn't see the show but....here's a few Q's.

Was the fish fought to exhaustion or brought in quickly?

Was it handled properly or held in a way to cause unnecessary stress to it?

Was it returned to the water quickly and properly?

Now none of this excuses exchanging a muskie for a shot put but they will increase the chances of a good release.

Just wondering.
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

He would be wise to just not even show the release if he's gonna do it that way.
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

Im not sure and didnt see the show but have noticed in the past on alot of fishing show that the editing they do for time constraints can mislead sometimes in thinking the fish was just tossed back in right away. I have never seen a fish released in a bad way before by the person I think you are talking about. I have noticed other times when a fish is deep hooked or something they will cut away from the fish then cut back. There is alot of editing in these shows so sometimes things arent what they seem. But once again I didnt see the show.
MuskieStalker1
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MuskieStalker1 »

I too have witnessed this release tecnique, The reason most of the guides do this is so they dont have to clear the rods before doing a proper tail release. You will also notice this happens only on St Clair.I just hope the general public are smarter than that!!!!!!
Letm Go Letm Grow
Kert Lavigne
g unis
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

guides

Post by g unis »

seems to be negative. the good st clair guides and sportsman do NOT torpedo their fish. as for stopping the boat it does not have to be done. actually a fish held at boatside at 1 mph can be released properly and quite well.. i am assuming the tv show seen was with drifter charters. he operates from euriea in summer and then comes to st clair after labor day. by all means send him your thoughts but dont paint the st. clair fishermen woth the broad stroke of a brush. did you know 96.5 of all muskies caught on st clair are released. there is a very large dedicated base of musky anglers fighting for the rights of all anglers. to simply say st. clair anglers all torpedo is definately un-educated internet slop
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

Darryl Chronzys (sp?) show last saturday was like that. He was fishing with a guide on St Claire and they seemed to do everything contrary to the practices we hold here. They brought the fish into the boat and let it flop around, did vertical holds and torpedoed the fish into the water. To say torpedoing a fish into the water gives it a birst of oxygen is a load of crap. Do you get any more oxygen by facing into the wind???
This was the same show where Darryl was expounding on how good muskie were to eat and that, if you mortally wound one or know it will not survive, you should eat it. Didn't hear him mention anything about legal size, proper licence, etc. Old Darryl would eat a bag of bait given half the chance.
MuskieStalker1
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MuskieStalker1 »

i was not painting all the anglers Geoprge But it is a St Clair issue , i have never seen anyone in the Kawarthas or the Ottawa reigon release a muskie this way.I am sorry george i do not agree with the paratice nor do i agree with not stopng the boat for the release . thats just my opninon and we all have one. so do not take offence . :wink:
Kert Lavigne
muskie Stalker