Ice Auger Question

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
-Smitty-
Participant
Participant

Ice Auger Question

Post by -Smitty- »

i'm looking to buy an ice auger...and from what i've read people recommend the 6 inch size.

i'm just wondering about the folding normark style sold at canadian tire. having a folding auger would make sense for me because i dont have a snow machine, but are they a liability as far as reliability and strength are concerned??

any suggestions welcome...

Great board by the way...seems like a great fishing community that i've stumbled upon.

Smitty
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

Hey Smitty welcome to FH. I dont really know much about augers but I am sure you will get alot of input from this site especially on ice fishing. Joco and Tip-up...... The are crazy about the hard water. Look forward to reading some reports. Take care

:lol:
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

When you go to CT you will notice that there will 2 types of augers both will be normarks but one will be a little more money as far as manual augers go... If I were you i'd pay a little more and get the better one :wink: six inch is all you want anything bigger and your arms&shoulders will be getting sore fast...
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

I would have to agree but disagree on hole size. The first question is what are you fishing for...I had a 6" auger but recently purchased a 8"...I found that the 8" allows for more control over the fish and it's size. I also found that it is no difference cutting holes with either size. The fold up ones are good but as they ice over you may have a hard time unfolding or even re assembling them. You will want to sharpen the blades or replace them about once a year for easy arm/shoulder work or if you like a good workout never sharpen it. Another thought is length. Some winters like this year I had to drill 36+" thru the ice to hit water. Now I have purchased a gas power auger and hope that I will have some strength to bring in the big one this year. Always cover your holes when done with snow and make sure they are flat...As a fellow ski-dooer I have hit my share of holes and it can toss you pretty good if not expecting it. As well always mark your holes with a twig or something to draw attention to it.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Grimace
Participant
Participant

Post by Grimace »

Keep the blades sharp. when they get dull it is like trying to drill a hole with your fist.

I have a question myself. I am on the market for a gas auger. kinda scared that i might end up buing a cruddy one, any suggestions.