5+ lb Club - Accurate Weights

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

5+ lb Club - Accurate Weights

Post by JustinHoffman »

Hello All,

I think the club idea that Bobber and Fish-Hawk proposed and came through with is an excellent idea. It's great to see a database of big fish, what lures they came on and what time of year they were caught. (The information that one can glean from that can be very invaluable for catching big fish in the future!)
I know this is a purely "fun" venture, and is in no way a competition. However, let's not get carried away with some of the weights that are being posted. There is no point in exaggerating a weight, as for the most part, the board can see right through the "little white lie." There are a couple suspect entries, and one or two that are purely laughable. All this does is belittle the venture, and it takes away the real reason for doing this in the first place.
For weighing fish, make sure it is done with a reputable digital scale. Spring scales, unless they are of the high end variety (and I'm not talking the CT kind), just won't cut it. And calibrate your scale regularly. Find an item that is a set weight, and compare it to your fish scale. If you are using a spring scale, undoubtedly you will see a big difference. (Spring scales stretch over time, and are very unreliable..)
I just calibrated my Berkley digital scale. It was weighing 1.6oz too low. For the most part, digital scales will only be out an ounce or so, if anything at all.
Anyways, please don't take this as a rant. Just my thoughts. We have a fun thing in place here, guys and gals. Let's not ruin it with a bunch of fish that would be better suited for the 4+ Club....
Looking forward to seeing some more big, and accurate, catches!!! :D
Thanks again, Bobber and Fish-Hawk, for starting this up - it's a great idea...

Good Fishing,
Justin
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

A few good points brought up there Justin...Thanks!

All fish Jig head and I suspect are over 3+ we will grab the scale and take a measurment for future references...The scale we used was brand new although had the ''Avon'' :oops: name on it :D I know for a fact my fish is a five and Jiggy's, well if the scale said so, I will just follow that...The fish was a beast :shock:
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

A few good points brought up there Justin...Thanks!

All fish Jig head and I suspect are over 3+ we will grab the scale and take a measurment for future references...The scale we used was brand new although had the ''Avon'' :oops: name on it :D I know for a fact my fish is a five and Jiggy's, well if the scale said so, I will just follow that...The fish was a beast :shock:

Great entry's everyone! Can't wait to see more!
spinner
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by spinner »

I agree Justin!

Even digital scales are not too accurate at times, nevermind spring scales, which is a good reason to verify the weights on your scale at a couple of points(maybe 2 and 5 lbs)with a known weight. I've seen digitals off over a pound. Guesses are just that - guesses... and more often than not--- high!!
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Agreed, Spinner. Digitals are the best of the two for sure, but can be way off if mistreated or tossed around. Good point about weighing at two seperate weights. Many would be surprised to see that their scale has been reading wrong for a long time...
As for certified scales - these are only found in meat processers, postal outlets and at reputable tournament sites. No scale that a fisherman owns can be classed as certified..

Good Fishing,
Justin
dana
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

digi scale + size scrutiny

Post by dana »

The digital scale used on Nigels bass actually weighs slightly light
It was the one used for the Quebec Bassmasters Cllassic win..our weight was higher than the scale each day
Pictures are strange things..i have seen my girlfriends 5lb largie come out looking like a 10 lb fish..

quote:

I know this is a purely "fun" venture, and is in no way a competition. However, let's not get carried away with some of the weights that are being posted. There is no point in exaggerating a weight, as for the most part, the board can see right through the "little white lie." There are a couple suspect entries, and one or two that are purely laughable. All this does is belittle the venture, and it takes away the real reason for doing this in the first place.

For a fun competition the i find the above quote "laughable"

please send in all yer pics everyone

this IS a fun thing and do not be intimdated by whiners.

Secondly: We did not know it WAS a competition

dana
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Dana,

First off - if you re-read my post, I didn't name any names. Actually, Nigel's fish is extremely legitimate, so no need to get your back up so much. I have no issue there. There is one fish in particular that is a good 2 to 2.5 lbs less than it's stated weight. I don't need to tell you which one it is...that should be evident. Yes, this is a fun deal. But let's not try to pull the wool over folks eyes.
And as for me whining? Give me a break. My reason for posting was to give some insight into the proper ways to weigh fish, how to calibrate scales, and to enlighten people that if they are still relying on a spring scale to give them a definite weight, they may be way off. That was it.
Why should I whine? My pics up there... :P No intimidation coming from me, and I'd like to think that most insightful people would see that. I was the first to post a pic, so I definitely think it's a cool thing.
Whether something is done in fun, or it is done in competition, it should still be done right. I'd like to think you'd agree with that. If not, then I've got a heck of a lot of 4lb fish that are waiting to be entered. Hey, you said it's just fun, so why not..
I seriously think you got lost in the gist of my message. I'm just saying it would be nice to see the weights kept somewhat "real." If not, we might as well just have a "Bass Club", and not a 5+ lb Club.

(It's funny how people get so defensive, when they inadvertently think they are the ones being talked about.. :? )

Good Fishing and Whining,
Justin
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

Who cares if someone is mistaken about the weight of their fish? It's all in fun.

Keep sending them in, and if someone contests that your fish doesn't weigh what it says, ignore them. After all, YOU are the only one that was actually there to see your fish on the scale.
spinner
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by spinner »

Dana
No doubt it is a good idea and lots of fun and as Justin suggests it would be nice to "do it right". The responses are to encourage people to verify that there fish are 5 lbs plus which adds credibility to the whole "5+ club" thing and these posts also encourage people to get accurate weights on their fish and suggest ways to do it. I know that personally I would like to have the knowledge that any fish I catch over 5 lbs is just that....over 5, otherwise I'm just kidding myself. This way personal bests are personal bests!!
There is nothing wrong with that and no derogatory comments have been made directly in reference to anybodys post or fish pic. There is no sense having lots of entries and many of them questionable and or definitely under 5 as we might as well just make it a bass gallery and we all realize that pics can be deceiving in both directions. No need to stir up anything regarding the responses as no names were mentioned or anything like that. Just a couple comments that could make it better.

How many people will look at posts and think like Ralph did? Mind you - in our cases at least there was a pic. We all know how fisherman tend to estimate high at times and not on purpose--- :roll: :)
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

Its just great that everyone can send in their Monster fish to add to the five pound club. I would just leave things alone Justin, by saying what you did opened a can of worms.
Congrats to all that caught one of them beauts and thanks to Fish hawk and Bobber for this category to be ale to display these fish.
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Thanks for your advice, Matcolecat. If Bobber or Fish-hawk would like to remove this thread, they can gladly do so....
The original message that both I and Spinner were trying to convey seems to of went over everyones head. This thread was meant to instruct and educate. Take it for what it is...
As for opening up a can of worms - I think not. The folk that seem to be getting their backs up, and all fired up seem to be doing that on their own accord...
I'm done with this. Time to move on. For those that got the gist of the original message - well done.

Good Fishing,
Justin
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

5 lbs give or take 1/2 lb they are still big fish and they all make the fisherman proud of having caught it. So lets please get off there backs and lets keep posting nice fish.

We all know that a bad camera angle can take a pound off easily.

If you are not a professional photographer, please refrain yourself on complaining about other pictures.

And if somebody has to lie about the weight of a fish to feel proud, then it is him that has the problem.

But please lets not indirectly accuse anybody of lying.

Dan
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

btw, i agree with justin 100%.

you dont see a bass from me posted (yet), because i'm honest.

we caught 4 this year between 4.5 and 4.9 pounds, but none have broken 5....its just not that easy....

however, if i made a post showing the bass, i bet most would agree they look five pounds....but they are not.

a five pounder, a true five pounder, its not an easy task....

further, about the digi scales, i dont know...but my berkely doenst weigh worth crap....i weighed a 32 pound salmon (weighed at an official tourney scale) at 27 pounds....thats five pounds under....now it was a 50lbs model...but thats way off....i since stopped using that scale, and bought a high end spring scale....they work in the cold, when their wet, and have the ability to 'calibrate' right on the scale...

but it was more money than my crappy berkley digi scale.
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Actually, Dan...no one is lying if their scale doesn't work properly...which I'm sure is the case 90% of the time for those that are weighing too heavy. I guess education falls on deaf ears for many...
The only folk complaining here are those that don't seem to agree that the weighing of fish should be done properly. :?
I really couldn't care less...it seems like the masses have spoken here anyways, so keep the photos coming, whether they are true or not.

Good Fishing,
Justin
Rider23
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rider23 »

I agree with you Justin, I have been sitting on the 50 inch muskie fence for almost 4 years. I am just under 2 inches shy, but the fun of it is the hunt I could easily stretch the tape :D But whats the point

And yes you are right, you shouldn't say anything that goes against the grain :wink:

Ted