Quinte Cats - Report and Question

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quinte Cats - Report and Question

Post by fatluke »

I was back home with the parents over Easter and decided to give the 'ole mud cat hole a try. I haven't fished there in 6 years or so, but the fishing has not changed. Friday night I took my girlfriend and a buddy of mine down. Fished for about 3 hours (7-10 pm) and managed to catch 24 between the three of us (although most of my time was spent tending the fire and taking fish off my girlfriends line). The bite was not that great, but it was fun. I figured a little more wind would be better.

So Saturday evening there was more wind. The plan was to meet up with two buddies at the same spot. I went early so I could get the good spot. My buddies showed up at 8:00 and I had already caught 25. We stayed until 10:00 and went home with around 80 cats (me landing almost 40 of them!!!!).

Now the question: As my dad I were cleaning them on Sunday morning, I noticed what looked like the little white parasite in the meat. There were literally thousands of them all through the meat. I can't remember seeing this before. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this in the cats. The little spots kind of looked like fish eggs, but they were scattered all through the meat, not just on the surface.

Any opinions on this??

Luke
Kingmann
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Kingmann »

It sounds like a parasite called Yellow Grub. If it wasn't that, I have no idea.

JasonM
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

There's a good chance that was it.. as they were more of a yellow colour than a white colour.

Regardless of what it was... It made my "cat-craving" disappear in a hurry!
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Right on the money Kingmann...

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/librar ... w_grub.pdf

That's what they were.... except they were a lot more in the cats that I cleaned...
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Maybe not harmful to humans...but verrry gross!

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

wolfe wrote:Maybe not harmful to humans...but verrry gross!

W.
Exactly.. Especially with the amount that were in them.. Wah... gross doesn't explain it.