fish attractant.........

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

fish attractant.........

Post by joco »

HI all

DO you guys use.......fish attractant........?

do you bileive in this........

...........................................................................................................

I did baught some burkley one,,,,,,,,,,,,,,try it.....did not help to catch more fish for me........ :?

i think it might work better for some kind off fish then other kind......

AT the boat show,,,,,,,,,,,,i join the O.F.A.H.................and wen you join you a get a big bottle off hull wax with x33 fish attractant..... :shock: ..

that weird,,,,,,,,,,,,wax whit fish attractant.... :roll:

mabe i should put a treble hook to my boat in case somthing big jump on it......... :roll:

BUT do you guys use some.................? and do you beleive in this.....

saw some people using,,,,,,,,wd40 oil...not to ecologic,,,,,but they say it work,,,,,,,,,,,but i have to say its not good for the environement,,, :?

JOCO
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Joco

I read a rather lenghty article about attractants. Most attractants are dismissed as human scent maskers. By hiding the scent of humans you should increase your chance of hooking up . I don't remembre the name of the product but by professionals choice , there was only one product that actually had a chance of actually attracting fish. I personally have experimented with these products and have found they make no difference at all . Thats why I have 3-4 tubes of 6 year old crap in my tackle box ... hmmmm ..maybe I'll go and clean them out :lol: :lol:
skoolboy63
Participant
Participant

Fish attractant.......

Post by skoolboy63 »

I agree that attractants mask human scent which is very important. However, I have heard some pretty accompliched fishermen claim that products such as the following can attract fish:
Ivory soap
Preparation H
WD-40
Garlic oil
I use Dial Antibacterial soap to mask the scent of my hands -- and I think it works okay.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

I've tried a few over the years like most I'm sure. My experience, they don't do much.

Hey skoolboy63!

Welcome aboard :!: Nice to see another member from the U.S.A...

Have a few others on hereas I'm sure you've noticed :!:
skoolboy63
Participant
Participant

Post by skoolboy63 »

Hi Wall-I-Guy
I've been making yearly trips to Eastern Ontario since 1988 and have settled on a cabin (Morrow's Cottages) at Crotch Lake. Lived in Oakville in the late '50's when it was about a 20,000 population town.
Love to fish for the 'Eyes in McLeans Bay and Warner's Bay but the whole lake is beautiful.
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

I've tried it for all seasons with absolutely no increase in fish strikes or percentage hooked. It just makes a sticky mess.
Many of them or supposed to imitate pheromones. Maybe our cold water acts like a cold shower and cancels the affect.
Seriously, I would have thought that if it was to prove effective it would be readily apparent when used ice fishing. You would think that, if it really did work, a scented jig or minnow sitting there oozing scent would be just the ticket and an increase bite/catch would be noticeable.
My vote is it's a waste of money.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

welcome aboard.....................SCHOOLBOY63

you say .......preparation H..................... :shock: :?

if a fish is going for preparation h.............i wont keep him.......there .might be a probrem wit him......... :lol: ......... :lol:

joco.....
Last edited by joco on Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
tinbanger
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tinbanger »

I heard of garlic powder and course salt mixed together and kept on board to 'dip' your plastics in as a quick recharge.
Might give it a try .
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

Tinbanger. Bob Izumi had an article a while back where they tried a number of scents and the one that came out on top, way abover the others, was the homemade garlic scent of garlic and salt.

The funny thing is, when you watch all these fishing shows, if this stuff really did make a difference, wouldn't you see them using it as a regular part of their presentation??? Taping a show and not catching fish costs them money.
Lunkerlurker
Participant
Participant

Post by Lunkerlurker »

From what I read across the internet :shock: and from various books and my environmental background I came to those conclusions:

1-Because of the state of water (liquid state vs gaz in the air we breath) the dispertion of the scent molecules is not the same. The molecule in water dont travel as fast or as far like in the air because of the density and hydrogen bonds etc... Current may carry the scent but the smell will be stronger first and weaker as the current washed it from the lure so the fish should swim AWAY from the basit as the stronger scent is downstream from the bait.

2-Oil and water dont mix. Salt like NaCl dissolve completely in water. Vegetal extract like garlic oil may partially solvate due to the presence of a sulfur atom, I havent check out if there is any researches substanciating this. :?: Maybe bass are like bucks and like sulfur I dont know :lol:

2-Bass are primaraly sight predator, they dont rely on smell to chase prey that much. Example most bottom feeders use sell as their primary sense to locate their food and got poor eyesight-catfish.

3-The new marketing approach is that those scent no make that taste will make the fish retain the bait longer giving you more time for hookset (there is something here I believe)

4-Dr Jones the top researcher for Berkley/Pure fishing did published a book and the response from several attractants. Salt and prey salts that now use only have a weak/moderate response. But I suppose the marketing team figured that they didnt have any salted powerbaits...

5-Just like colors the baits companies pray on our insecurities that we might not catch any or as much as the next guy if we do no buy their products. Or then they use a pro's endorsement- hey if it works for him it's good enough for me it must catch fish...

6-The human odor factor: the amino acid L-serine if I remember right is supposelly the culprit because some test with salmons shown that that salmon avoided the solution of L-serine feeded upstream. Bass studies were never conducted.

7-From my own experience I dont use scent and if the bait come already with some the fine with me but wont pay an extra if I got the choice between unscented and scented.

As I too did dable the scent thing I would personnaly rate them as follow:
1-Salt - naturally present in water and at leat usefull for the fish for it's osmotic balance :)
2-Garlic - I dont know maybe bass like garlic and shrimps :) Plus my wife like the whole greek restaurant bouquet in the car :roll:
3-Crawfish oil - great thick cover lubricant :D

LL
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi lunkerlurker

thanks,,,,,,,,,, great input........a lot off new info.....

always interesthing to lurne more,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and more..... :wink:

i do use a lot off ruber that those have some salt in it.......or garlic....

they seems to like the licorice(reglice) to...........smell to.....

joco
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

I can attest to Mega Strike scent working! Last spring I was fishing a sunken tree on my favourite pond for upwards of an hour, looking for crappies and couldnt buy a bite on a small grub. I put on some Mega Strike for the heck of it, and ended up getting a ton of crappies right after. The guy in the boat next to me continued getting nothing until he applied the stuff!

Normally I don't think it makes too much of a difference but anything to tip the odds in your favour over the fish seems to be the right thing to do!

I have used Yum attractant (didn't like it), Mega Strike (pretty good but expensive) and homemade scents (the best I've ever used).
Lunkerlurker
Participant
Participant

Post by Lunkerlurker »

I do agreed with BBR that when there is a cold front and/or tough bite smell/scent seems to help.

Kevin VanDam in one of his books tell basically that's when the scent is an added bonus (he use real craw). That's pretty much his only mention of attractant which he specify for this kind of condition and he's got no explanation for it - just the resuts.

I'll trust KVD on this one even tough he is a pro because he's not the kinda guy who endorse everything in sight like Bill Dance.

If the pros got no time to apply scents when fishing thats an indication as to their effectiveness... :shock:

By the way on my previous post I did try to resume it best for the physcis/chemistry part, ie getting to the point.

LL
carp-starter
Participant
Participant

Post by carp-starter »

There was a thread on Fish-Hawk last July/05 on the subject - can compare answers.

I have the stuff but I do not use it - I have kept my stuff for the last 25 years. I must assume that the molecular structure of the scent that I have kept has changed - or something. Maybe now it would work.

If one assumes that applying scent would work, then how come there are so many different varieties of scent out there and they all seem to work - we are told. My answer would be that perhaps just about anything would work - or maybe nothing works. We have been made to believe that it works. Scent is just like lures - it is meant to catch the fisherman and not the fish.

http://www.fish-hawk.net/hawktalk/viewt ... highlight=

carp-starter
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

I saw a Bob Izumi show that had a segment on this , he took 2 identical crank baits , left on in the package and the other he put in the bilge of the boat , for a week to soak in gas and whatever else ...euck. Then he and his partner went out each with one of the lures . But the new clean one was coated with scent. They did this over the course of three days .

They found that there was virtually no catch differance between the 2.

I don't know if the outcome might be different on other lakes or with other species, but I found it quite interesting that an abused lure would catch the same even after being contaminated with gas.

I think they were walleye fishing