What's Your Favorite Pike Lure In Spring?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
jbarker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jbarker »

The only time I really fish pike is the second saturday in june and the weekend prior to it. There is a pike and walleye tournament second sat. and I need a few practice days. I start throwing a 1 ounce white/silver spinnerbait with a porko trailer and my partner throws a black/gold x-rap. If we have a follow or our arms get tired we switch to 9 inch senkos and white or ice coloured z too's. If that doesn't get em we flip to them with six inch salted sucker minnows. Other favorites for me are a black buzbait or a super spook.
Mikey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: favorite pike lure in spring

Post by Mikey »

Big Jim wrote:This is real easy guys....just bring a Gord Pyzer in the boat and you get bit.......regardless what your throwing.

BIG JIM~~~~~~~~~~~~~out'
I agree Jim, I'll throw the 6'2" Gord Pyzer with a finesse worm trailer, or the "Caucasian Mad Midget" Gord Pyzer (4'2") with a pork roast trailer...the MadMidget makes alot of surface noise when thrown out of the boat and that gets the big boys bitin! :lol: :lol:

Mikey....OUT! :wink:
tinbanger
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tinbanger »

Definatly a red and white Williams Wabler , more chewed up the better :D
Lookinforlunkers
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lookinforlunkers »

I definantly get more and bigger fish on spoons than all the other lures I use combined. Mostly silver, love the williams bully spoon
tallpaul
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by tallpaul »

Last year at Westmeath seemed like most luck was to be had on nearly anything with a firetiger colour/pattern.

As Mr.J. said (and surely as M.T. would say) - a white spinnerbait is tough to beat.

I had a great time last year fishing with a zara spook for pike... it seemed to produce well compared to how the other people I was fishing with were doing (although, nothing huge)... and nothing beats topwater hits!!

cheers,
tallpaul
Fishquest
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishquest »

I've always had my best luck on a Johnson's Silver Minnow. Sometime tipped with a berkley Power bait for the extra bit.
Relic
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Relic »

Rapalas, Husky jerks, spoons, silver minnows all work good for numbers of fish, however, if your looking for beter quality all of the larger pike I catch in the spring are taken on sluggo's or something similiar, and suicks, Pike LOVE suicks. The jerk paaaaauuuuuuuuse drives em, nuts :wink:
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

Relic wrote:Rapalas, Husky jerks, spoons, silver minnows all work good for numbers of fish, however, if your looking for beter quality all of the larger pike I catch in the spring are taken on sluggo's or something similiar, and suicks, Pike LOVE suicks. The jerk paaaaauuuuuuuuse drives em, nuts :wink:
I remember reading this from you last year so I went and bought one, a suick that is, I threw it out pretty much every time I fished and never even got a follow on one.

You've got to teach me the proper technique one day and I am looking for an excuse to fish your neck of the woods too so...... :wink:
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: favorite pike lure in spring

Post by CNs »

Mikey wrote:
Big Jim wrote:This is real easy guys....just bring a Gord Pyzer in the boat and you get bit.......regardless what your throwing.

BIG JIM~~~~~~~~~~~~~out'
I agree Jim, I'll throw the 6'2" Gord Pyzer with a finesse worm trailer, or the "Caucasian Mad Midget" Gord Pyzer (4'2") with a pork roast trailer...the MadMidget makes alot of surface noise when thrown out of the boat and that gets the big boys bitin! :lol: :lol:

Mikey....OUT! :wink:
The only problem is finding a Pyzer.

Mikey you just slayed me with this one. Thanks
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

I've been experimenting with wobblers and husky jerks. Silver's been pretty good so far, but gold with orange on the bottom has been successful too. Buzz baits on the surface dragged from shallow shoreline is another way I've been fishing for em. So many ways, not enough time.
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
Lunkerlurker
Participant
Participant

Post by Lunkerlurker »

White or chartreuse Spinnerbait

Daredevils, Williams wobbler is good,

A#5 veltic silver/red strippes with a dressed treble (yellow and red) is killer too. :D

Firetiger husky jerks will get you some, specially when there is a cold front. 8)

A black jig will work too.

Now where is that global warming when you need it, so I can catch my first bass before april first ( hey hey not OOS :twisted: )

LL
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

I have to agree with everyone's choice of the spoon with emphasis on the red devil colors.

Me, being one who likes to make his own lures and even take existing ones and modify them, have come up with my own touch to the spoon.

I had read about using spoons and giving the fish a target. Many times I have felt a big hit or strike on a spoon but no hook up, the fish simply hits the spoon fat and from the side completely missing the hooks, so a target I will be giving them.

Everyone says that pike simply cannot resist a bucktail, so why argue with them I just joined them. I did the same with my gold and silver spoons and it is the Williams Wobbler that inspired me to make my spinnerbaits this year with a mix of gold and silver blades.
SCUBA_STEVE
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by SCUBA_STEVE »

yup one of the best for me is the silver spoon for pike always my go to bait first :D

zort
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

I'll tell ya, as much as I love (and use) some of these favorite lures mentioned in this thread, I just hate removing trebles from a feisty pike with it's jaws clamped down. Ugh. I so prefer big, single hooks.

W.

PS: nice touch there, Mr. J. I imagine that puts some extra "oomph" into the presentation.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Manny
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Manny »

I'D go with pork. Bo-liz and Bo-Hawg's caught piles of big pike for us, way up north. Don't have any left though and might be hard to find but they can cover water as well as jerkbaits and as slow (with as much drawing power) as live-bait.

Second would be spoons. Salmon spoons work real well slow-rolled and Johnson silver minnows always work.

Manny