Tow vehicle - Opinions?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Phantom
Participant
Participant

Post by Phantom »

I got a 99 Nissan now. Great torgue. Great on the ramp. If you are fishing early or late season go with 4 wheel. Two wheel will leave stranded eventulli.
One day you will be out in the boonies and say lets go fishing.
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

I am very despointed by all this support given to imports, no wonder north american car companies are all downsizing and laying off a bunch of Canadians as well as Americans.

I would never consider an import car but especially not a tow vehicle, imports come from places that need small cars to get around tight quarters and large volumes. They certainly are not made for towing that's for sure.

Now I can blame all you guys for having a hard time finding a full size car even in a GM dealership. :wink:

I would definatly recommend any north american suv with at least a big 6 cylinder, AWD or 4WD if it is in your budget.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

opps double post
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

i agree with the rest, depends on what your using it for...

if you read my posts/reports, you'll see that nothing would work for us, besides a full size, 454, raised Suburban.

No Toyota's or Honda's will come close. But then again, most dont fish how we do.

I will be buying a Silverado 4x4 when i buy my first truck.
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

Had a minvan, allbeit the Plymouth variety, and nearly lost it in the Ottawa after getting stuck on the ramp on a windy day. Couldn't go forward, couldn't get the boat off. Traction was the problem. I sold the van and bought a pathfinder. Not as much room inside but great for towing. If I had to make the choice again, I think I would keep the van and buy an old truck to tow the boat with, lots of torque and RWD is the answer for those steeps ramps. Whatever you tow with, it's gonna be pricey on the gas, why not choose to pay the extra only when the boat is on the back.
tinbanger
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tinbanger »

Both the Honda and the Toyota are made in the US :shock: .
And the Honda Ridgeline (truck of the year ) is built just down the road in Alliston Ontario .
Don't blame people for wanting a better built vehicle.
Trying to do the math on a 35k import vrs a 25k domestic van , based on keeping it minimum 8 years and putting on apx 200,000km less value at the end of the 8 years.
Would love a large suv 4x4 but cost ( both vehicle and gas , tires etc) are a bit prohibitive.It would not only be the tow vehicle but also daily driver (wife) and family mover year round
Gonna have to be a bit selective regarding ramps , but hardly even spun a wheel in the last 3 years of towing the old boat ( lighter)

So if anyone sees a venture van stuck on a ramp , please don't laugh too much . :oops: Just give me a hand :lol:
Lookinforlunkers
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lookinforlunkers »

Thanx Richard I was starting to wonder if I was the only one that had heard about the recent cut backs by both GM and Ford. I have a 99 Silverado 4x4 it will pull just about anything any where.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

Take a drive to QUnite in the fall/winter, or Niagara RIver in the winter/spring...

there are many different boats and trucks on the market.

but its interesting that over 3/4 of the boats are Lunds, and 3/4 of the Trucks are Chevy's. (Fords following next).

All depends on what your using it for....
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

tow

Post by muskymatt »

I've got an 05 trailblazer , love it , sweet ride all the power you can handle.. it pulls my 19.5' with 120l gas and all the gear I can fit in it ....highly recommended The inline 6 is really good on gas

Cheers
rli
Participant
Participant

Post by rli »

Hi Everyone,

Very interesting discussion so far and very informative. I am also
considering in upgrading my current vehicle (which is a van) to a truck.
I am having a difficult time trying to decide whether the truck should
be a 4x2 or 4x4. My needs of the truck is to tow a boat in the summer
and in the winter become a commute vehicle. So far my research has led
me to believe that a 4x2 will easily suffice my needs and is also the
cheaper of the two from a cost ownership standpoint. However, I am
still concern about winter safety being a rear wheel drive vehicle. I'll be
putting weight in the back and adding a good set of winter tires. However,
will this be enough ? I've also heard that a 4x2 truck is a "kiss of death" when it comes to resale ?

Your opinions are very much appreciated!

Richard
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

I also would like to see the support go to domestic vehicles, (Im a GM guy 8). At the same time its hard to blame people for doing what they feel is the best route for them at the time be it a mini van etc. I hear a lot concern about gas miliage and rightfully so. One thing I have noticed is that trucks/SUV are harder on gas but depending on how much your towing your boat chances are that your van or cars smaller engine is working a lot harder and getting about the same milage as a truck would. How long do you plan on keeping your vehicle? All the hauling does a number on your suspension, frame etc, where thats what trucks are made for. I guess people have to factor all of these things in, maybe some people will be towing twice a month, 3 times a week whatever, for myself who uses a boat 2-3 times a week I would be going with at least a 1/2 ton. Make that a GM 1/2 ton :D. Good luck choosing your vehicle and may it not be a lemon, aka Ford!
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

rli,
Nothing like going around a corner on a snow covered road and having your rear end take of on your only to thank your lucky stars that the snow bank stopped you before the ditch. Time to throw it in 4 wheel drive!
As for resale you wont get as much for it as you would 4x4 but you also dont pay as much to buy it either. 4x4 can also be a lot more expensive to fix as well. As for front wheel drive, in my opinion, at times they are just as bas as 2 wheel drive. As most would know how hard thay can be to steer in slippery conditions.
Lookinforlunkers
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lookinforlunkers »

rli I have a 4 wheel drive chevy and love it. I can tell you from a technicians point of veiw that transfere cases and front diffs are expensive to fix but taken care of properly and you should never have to worry about it. They are much harder on gas if you do have to have it in 4 wheel drive but usually it just to get you out of a jam and then back into 2 wheel. If you can aford a newer truck they auto transfere cases now that are good for the winter. You put it in auto and it goes into 4 wheel drive only when you are loosing traction. Other than that I can oonly say that with a tonneau cover i am quite happy with my milage.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

HI all

I suport your point trophymusky and lookingforlunker.......its true that american makers have some probleme...........

BUT they did the probleme themself,,,,,,,,,there are the cause off this,,,,,,,ask anyone in the buisenes,,,,....

I am not telling there not good,,,,,,,,,,,but i have proof here off alot off american truck that do have problemes,,,,here at work,,,,we have all kind off people owning all the kinds,chev,,,,dodge,,,ford,,,,,,,,toyota and nissan....

and i cant tell you,,,or should i say they could tell you themself,,,,all the probleme they have with there truck,,,,,,,,,a lot off dodge wit front end probleme and some wit motor probleme on the hemie,,,,and minor probleme on power stuff like window and stuff............fix and fix again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,chev,brakes prob and some od transmision prob...ford some proble wit motor,,,,,

I would agree to back sombody that give me some great product,quality,,,,,and that back them up....

i have cooworker that have some dodge van,,,,,,,,thats transmision have ben change more then once,,,,,,,,and not even 100 000 on it,,,,,and that van never tow and all..... :? (and not only one,,,)( a budy off mine work in a dodge dealer and woould give you numbers off those vans,,,like 100s off them having trans,,,prob....),,,but there still good afordable van,,,,some have never had prob,to.......

but i do see some people that do have american truck and care and have no probleme at all,,,,,,,,,,,some off the rangers ford have been great some f 150,,,,,,,,,,,some chev........i did own a chev...that was in the family for 11 year 220000km on it,,,,,,,,never trans or motor proble,,,,,change the starter 2 time and the alternator 3 time thats it,,,,plus brakes and all,,,,,,,,that was a great truck,,,,,,,we did have dodge wit 318 motor,great truck never had prob to........

people want somthing worth for there hard working monney,,,,,,, :o ....

BUILT IT THEY WILL BUY...........

we should buy american ''''''' BUT they should build good reliable vehicule,,,,,,,,its a buiseness,,,,,,,,,,,,,,quality is always a winner...

like i said before,,,,,,,they did this to themself,,,,,,,,,,thats the bad part,,,,,and i fell very bad for all familys that go true this,,,(lay off and all),,,,,there company went for profit ,,,,,they did not think that far in the futur,,,,,and there paying right now,,,,,,,,,, :(

I hope they will change that ,and revers all off this,,,,and do great vehicule,,,,,,,,,,,,,quality,,,good fuel economy,,,,reliable,,,,,tuff,,,,,,,if they do people will go back to them,,,,,,, :wink:

but for me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i wil go for my need,,,,,,,,and the best i can buy for my hard working monney,,,and my budget,,,,,,,,,and i will do my homework...i will chek everything,,,,,,,,consusmer report,,tv show,,,the net,,,,etc etc,,,,,,,,

I got a nissan now,,,,4/4 and i love it,never had prob,,,but i got only 66000k on it,,,,,my next truck.........as now i am looking for a tacoma x cab 4/4...but thats in 3 years,,,thing change,,,,,,,,,,,mabe by then american will have somthing that is great for my need and very reliable.........and will get an american,,, :roll: ........

i think that all truck,,,,,,,,,,,,,at thoce price,,,,,,,, :shock: ,,,,,30 ,,,50 000$ or more,,,, :shock: ,should be all good and reliable,,,,,,,,whatever the maker,,,,,,,,,american or not...........

joco. :!:
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

JUST one more thing.......................a lot off those import care an truck are made or assemble . here in ontario and canada/or usa.......there are a lot off people working for them here,,,,,,,,,,in canada,,,

joco
Last edited by joco on Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.