constance lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fly fishing canada
Participant
Participant

constance lake

Post by fly fishing canada »

hey all,

My bro and I are going to constance lake tommorow...any suggestions on bait,techniques ect..

we'll be fishing for crappie and perch, and we might try a shot at pike for a bit.

thanks alot,

rob
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

Hi FFC,

I've had luck there with live maggots on a 1/16oz glow jig-a-whopper with my panfish popper rod. Panfish would be at it as soon as you put the line down. As for pike, large minnow on a tip-up.

Good luck! We might be there tomorrow afternoon.
Mike Lennox
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike Lennox »

thanks slushy!!

Just bought some berkley honey worms and 4 lb test and some really tiny jigheads. We'll be the in the morning and we'll be the idiots using 9' long poles.

mike
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

Size doesn't really count...... :wink: :wink:

Unfortunately we can't make it in the morning because the store's open. We'll be there in the afternoon for sure.

Good luck!
jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by jig head »

Good luck. looking forward to your guys reports :lol:
Northamfishing Tackle
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spence Scout »

slushpuppy

Do you fish constance alot or often? I thought I saw a fish hawker there a few weeks back.. dont remember the date! however they were driving a forset green car on to the ice

Spence
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

slushpuppy wrote:
I've had luck there with live maggots on a 1/16oz glow jig-a-whopper with my panfish popper rod. Panfish would be at it as soon as you put the line down. As for pike, large minnow on a tip-up.
Slushy, I know you're the Queen of Pike through the ice. Let's say one doesn't want to use minnows (let's say that's me :lol: ) -- any other presentations you like for pike through the ice? I remember the Swedish Pimple came recommended & we've got some of those in our box.

Hope you're all having fun at Constance this afternoon; wish I was there!

W.

EDIT: P.S. - what's the success of dead, salted minnows...?
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

Spence Scout wrote:slushpuppy

Do you fish constance alot or often? I thought I saw a fish hawker there a few weeks back.. dont remember the date! however they were driving a forset green car on to the ice

Spence
Hey Spence,

It's our go-to lake for when we've been skunked everywhere else. I don't think we've ever been skunked there. The fish may not be big but they're there.
Wolfe wrote: Slushy, I know you're the Queen of Pike through the ice. Let's say one doesn't want to use minnows (let's say that's me Laughing ) -- any other presentations you like for pike through the ice? I remember the Swedish Pimple came recommended & we've got some of those in our box.
Wolfe, if you don't want to use a live minnow, you may want to try a frozen and/or salted one on a lure like the swedish pimple. I have caught fish on salted minnows before, I don't remember if I ever did on the ice or not. I do remember casting with a dead minnow last year on the Jock. Bowzog was using some topwater lures and he managed to scare something up (he was using a spook!). Anyway, I'm the only one who caught something, a small pike that came out from under the dock I was standing on.

There are other lures that are similar like the Hopkins smoothie or shorty or the Luhr Jensen cast champ, even some of the bigger jig-a-whoppers. Believe it or not, I read somewhere that someone caught their biggest pike through the ice with an 8" plastic tube!
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Wolfe,

The Swedish Pimple has been my go to lure for years on the ice. Just love it, tipped with a minnow.

I tip it usually with a live minnow but have also tipped it with worms or dead minnows, usually just the head with gut s trailing (sorry for being so specific) :lol: . As long as your jigging the presentation, it works quite effectively :!: :wink: :D
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

WIG & Slush,

Info noted, you two...thanks.

With regard to the 8" tube, always did wonder why you can't use something bigger through the ice instead of those teeny tiny jigs (unless of course you're targeting the pannies and crappies).

I'll pass on the gut trailing minnow for now, WIG. :lol: But I can see why it would work!

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.