Ice fishing near Allumette Island and/or SandBay

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
pchilli1
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Ice fishing near Allumette Island and/or SandBay

Post by pchilli1 »

Good afternoon all,

Firstly, thanks for all the tips over the past few months. I have since decided to join the crew.

My Questions:
1) My family and I recently purchased a cottage on Allumette Island. I fished all summer and caught lots of nice eyes, bass and pike, but have not yet ventured out to try my luck ice fishing. The water way out in the middle of the Ottawa river is open quite late in the winter (from what I remember last year) however we are quite a ways away from this. Has anyone ever ice-fished near Allumette Island (we are close to the light house)?
2) Has anyone been ice-fishing in Sandbay, near Shawville (in Quebec).

Cheers all and I wish you a safe an plentiful fishing season!

Paul
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

For info about Allumette Island you should PM TipUp or Jighead... they have a cottage up there.
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

Can't help on the ice fishing advice, but welcome to the board.
Poozymo
Participant
Participant

Post by Poozymo »

Hey Paul;

Whatever information you find out please post.

I have a friend up that way and would be curious about any comments
involving ice fishing around that area.

Also, is there a place on the island where you can get a Quebec
day pass for fishing?

Thanks,
Steve
jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by jig head »

Hey. Allumete can be great for eyes during the winter, you just need to find the right spot. Usually the will be in around 12fow if i remember from last year. Use a small spoon tipped with a minnow. If you find them you should have no problem getting them. Also use this to catch ling, we have a good population of ling up there.

On the other hand, pike and panfih are a bit harder to catch up there. Pannies are usually caught with waxwormes with a genz bug. And for pike use good size minnow and bring it a foot off bottom.

If you have any questions let me know!
Anthony :lol:
Northamfishing Tackle
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

HI pchili

ON my wayt to work last sunday,,, :? ,saw a lot off people fishing in the campbells bay.....not that far frome fort colonge,,,,,there ggod fishing there for all kind,,,,,walleye,,,,,pike, all crappies and perch.....great little spot,,,,,and there will be a ice derby there soon...

keep posted your result down there,,, :wink:

joco.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

The only fishing I did in Sand Bay is a week after opening weekend for walleyes. And in my buddies"Guest Book" he has at the cottage I entitled that weekend as Walleye Slaughter. on a small creek coming in to the Ottawa, it's about 3/4 of a mile long we used to troll up and down the creek and we would catch a minimum of 10 eyes per pass it was unbelievable. All on Black and Gold floating rapalas.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again